Happiness is

Old October 5th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Happiness is

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
Karen C in California wrote:
Lucille wrote:
the women I worked for and with didn't behave like teenage ingénues
when they were speaking in front of a crowd. Oh, I suppose I should
add that they knew what they were talking about as well.

Well, there's the difference. They knew their subject inside-out. And
they probably weren't just Beauty Queen Barbies, either.
(snipped here)

I just read Maureen Dowd's column:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/op...=1&oref=slogin

Good points, I think. Folksy is one thing, but one can be folksy and still
be coherent! Her poor grammar drives me batty. It doesn't sound folksy, it
sounds ignorant. (One more "him and I", and I'm going to SCREAM!)

Sue

Don't you just love her.. She has a knack for telling it like it is.

Old October 5th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Gill Murray wrote:
To be honest, no-one can keep all this stuff in his/her head; there is
just too darn much.

Agreed, but having heard it once before and being reminded is better
than having to learn from scratch when a situation comes up.

Example:
One day while Boss & I were working downtown (i.e., late 1997 to early
2000), I was waiting impatiently for him to get back and sign something,
and when he came upstairs he apologized he'd been sitting in the car
listening to the end of a fascinating NPR story about some Arab whackjob
named Osama bin Ladin.

Fast forward a couple years, some Arab whackjob blows up the Twin
Towers. BushBaby's standing there looking like "what's a bin Ladin?"; I
at least knew I'd heard the name before and he was an Arab whackjob. He
hadn't just crawled out of the woodwork for the first time that day.

Plus, just having the background/intelligence to fit the pieces into the
puzzle. You've never heard of Where-is-it-istan, but you know all the
Stans are in one part of the globe, and you know the generalities about
that region (mostly rural, mountainous, Muslim), you already know more
than someone who's got to ask "is that in South America?"

OK, I'm going to have to look up the name of the president (or maybe
he's an emperor) of Where-is-it-istan before I call to ask him to brief
me on the situation, but just from what I know about the Stans region in
general, I'd bet that his people are mostly semi-illiterate subsistence
farmers, not going to be able to step into the cockpit of a computerized
tank and instinctively know how to run it, so if I'm sending him a
shipment of modern tanks to defend the country, I'd better also send
someone trained to drive them; before I call, check with the Army how
many WW2 surplus basic idiot-proof tanks we can dredge up from
warehouses so I can tell their leader how many tanks I can give him for
his Army to keep. And, no, I'm not particularly worried about them
having nukes, most of that region thinks a mule is high-tech.

All that before Secretary of State Dr. Brat has even arrived at the
White House to brief President Karen on the details.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 9/9/08 - Butterfly Drama (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
AOL BLOGS CLOSING OCTOBER 31
Old October 5th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:

"Karen C in California" wrote in message

Lucille wrote:

the women I worked for and with didn't behave like teenage ingénues when
they were speaking in front of a crowd. Oh, I suppose I should add that
they knew what they were talking about as well.

Well, there's the difference. They knew their subject inside-out. And
they probably weren't just Beauty Queen Barbies, either.

My job was with a volunteer organization and actually the National Board
was mostly made up of very well-to-do women who were very attractive and
since they had lots of money to spend beautifully dressed. They also had
the (I know a lot of you will hate me for this statement) edge of coming
from the much more sophisticated New York Metropolitan area.

They were not just Beauty Queen Barbies no matter how they were dressed.
They probably went to Vassar or Bryn Mawr or Radcliffe, where they
learned more than how to flirt their way into a job.

And, yes, coming from the Metro NY area does make a difference. There
are some areas where the height of your big hair is more important than
what's underneath it, and then there are some parts of the country where
that's recognized as mere window-dressing, and you're going to have to
make it on your smarts/talent.

We were just discussing regional variants on news availability in
another group. One gal, most of their local news is devoted to college
football. Versus NYC, where college football might rate a two-second
mention if one of the local teams was going to the Rose Bowl. The local
news here in the state capital is different than the news broadcast at
the other end of the state; we have a lot of political junkies, so we
get a lot about politics, and because we have legislators from all over,
we get the highlights of what's happening around the state so they know
what's hot in their home district. Saturday night, someone "may" think
to mention the scores from the local college games, but if there's a
huge fire at the other end of the state or some big legislative hooha,
the football scores are ignored.

So, whereas she's griping that she never heard a thing on the news about
some political issue of interest to her and blaming it on "that darned
liberal media" not wanting to discuss conservative stuff, the gal in NY
and I have heard about it till we're sick of it. It rather surprised
her to hear "that darned liberal" CNN devoted more time to her
conservative issue than her local station in the heart of conservative
territory!

Old October 5th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Election thoughts (friendly) was Happiness is

lucretia borgia wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 19:54:36 GMT, Gill Murray
opined:

I still thing I need a little island, where I can be Queen...everyone
has built-in stitching time, some red wine and lots of chocolate!

I'm not coming there if it is only 'some' red wine lol You can keep
the chocolate, I went to a party recently for Xocai Chocolate - really
it was bad to ask me - and nearly died when I saw the price. This is
such pure chocolate that diabetics can eat it, I was going to take
some for my uncle (he's diabetic) until the price came up and my
Scottish soul rebelled lol

Gill, to make sure the price is reasonable, make sure your island is in
the correct climate for growing our own chocolate.

Old October 5th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Karen C in California wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 19:54:36 GMT, Gill Murray
opined:

I still thing I need a little island, where I can be Queen...everyone
has built-in stitching time, some red wine and lots of chocolate!

I'm not coming there if it is only 'some' red wine lol You can keep
the chocolate, I went to a party recently for Xocai Chocolate - really
it was bad to ask me - and nearly died when I saw the price. This is
such pure chocolate that diabetics can eat it, I was going to take
some for my uncle (he's diabetic) until the price came up and my
Scottish soul rebelled lol

Gill, to make sure the price is reasonable, make sure your island is in
the correct climate for growing our own chocolate.

I don't like hot tropical weather, but we can certainly grow our own grapes!
Old October 5th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Gill Murray wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:
Gill, to make sure the price is reasonable, make sure your island is
in the correct climate for growing our own chocolate.

I don't like hot tropical weather, but we can certainly grow our own
grapes!

Make sure the island has a mountain. You can live in the cooler
high-altitude zone and the chocolate and I can live in the tropical
lowlands. Along with Lucille's endless-coffee plantation.

Old October 5th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Gill Murray wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:
Gill, to make sure the price is reasonable, make sure your island is in
the correct climate for growing our own chocolate.

I don't like hot tropical weather, but we can certainly grow our own
grapes!

Make sure the island has a mountain. You can live in the cooler
high-altitude zone and the chocolate and I can live in the tropical
lowlands. Along with Lucille's endless-coffee plantation.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Hey there--no one said this has to be a deserted island. Mine needs to be
off the coast of some magical place that has a nice stupidmarket where we
can buy groceries, coffee, wine and chocolate. We could get the Captain to
get the yacht ready for a short sail and pick up what we need on the
mainland. I'm sure I don't need to say that I expect there to be a really
well stocked, helpfully staffed, LNS in the region.

That is unless you're willing to work in the hot, buggy fields.

Old October 5th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Sarah Palin--was Happiness is

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:00:49 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net opined:

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
It is a pity people in the USA cannot view The Royal Canadian Air Farce.
The first show, 3 October, of what is their last season had a lovely
take
off of McCain and Palin. Must have lasted about 4 minutes. Absolutely
proceless. Jim.

We don't need that Jim, although from the reviews here I would love to be
able to see it. We have Tina Fey "doing" Palin on Saturday Night Live.
It's spot on and hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZsO7...&feature=bz301

Those were real clips of Sarah Palin.

Here's the latest SNL spoof from this week's show with Tina Fey and Queen
Latifah and I forgot the name of the guy who played Biden

http://tinyurl.com/4wmjmm

Tina Fey looks so much like her it's scary.

Lucille

Old October 6th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 18:10:14 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net opined:

Hey there--no one said this has to be a deserted island. Mine needs to be
off the coast of some magical place that has a nice stupidmarket where we
can buy groceries, coffee, wine and chocolate. We could get the Captain to
get the yacht ready for a short sail and pick up what we need on the
mainland. I'm sure I don't need to say that I expect there to be a really
well stocked, helpfully staffed, LNS in the region.

That is unless you're willing to work in the hot, buggy fields.

Yes, of course, let common sense prevail, I have no intention of
growing the grapes ! Maybe the LNS could be staffed by Chippendales?
I don't know, perhaps they would be better pouring the bar ?

Now, that is the best idea all day.....and is it on topic, because
someone has to embroider their names on the "gizmo" they almost wear!!
It also gives employment to needy young men!

Old October 6th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Jangchub wrote:

I wasn't insulted. I was revolted. She made me sick to my stomach
because there is a possibility I'd have to call her the president if
they win and McSame dies. I don't hope he dies, but he isn't looking
that colorful for a man with over a hundred million dollars, nine
homes, dozens of cars, servants of all sorts, private planes, and
never once had a real job in his privileged life other than being a
politician. Yeah, that was revolting.

Victoria

Excuse me, Victoria,

Get your facts straight. he doesn't have all these homes, millions of
dollars, acars etc., His wife is the heiress of a big business. That
does NOT make them his, and why he had no idea how many homes they owned.

Wake up, and meet reality.

You disgust me with this spew, and you have not changed over all the
years I have known you.

However you were honest enough to say the pain made you say so many bad
things in the past, and I trust that is the reason for this.

Get some rest, take what they gave you for the pain..and I really hope
you feel better in a few days.

Gillian