O.T.-Tie-Dye Cord Instructions Needed

Old August 17th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carol S.

Default O.T.-Tie-Dye Cord Instructions Needed

Hi folks.

Sorry to impose in a 'quilting' discussion group, but most of the other
appropriate groups seem to be inactive. This one is jumping!

My question is: Doe anyone know of a microwave method for using tie-dye
cords? I know I can bundle the fabric or tee shirt & tie, but in 'mic'
how long & what power? These cords were manufactured by Consolidated
Thread Mills, Inc. in Fall River, Mass. I went to their website, but
had trouble manuevering wih my 'dinosauer' Webtv browser.

I admire what quilters do in general. I don't have much faith in my
ability to sew with such precision & havn't taken it up. I am in the
process of bar-tacking 3,000 plus fabric yo-yos which I made by hand
into a full-size bed coverlet. Right now my sewing machine needs
adjustment & oiling from such repetitive sewing.

Hope someone out there can help with directions for the cords. Thanks,
friends.

Carol S. in Wisconsin

Old August 17th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mignon

Try this!

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dipdyeing.shtml

Old August 17th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Carol:
Be wary of Impostors!! I am TRULY the Official
Chocolate Taster. I am very happy to taste test ALL
styles, types, and brands of chocolate. Just ignore
Terri; she was out in the sun too long at that Show!
Smirking in Virginia, PAT

Terri wrote:
Pat in Virginia wrote in
:

The only rule you really need to know:
Send a pound or two of chocolate to the Official Chocolate
Tasting Office, conveniently located here in my Palace in
Virginia, USA. I will taste test if for you and report via
E-Mail. No need to thank me! It is my selfless
volunteer service
to the RCTQ Community.

Um, Carol? What Pat forgot to mention is that she only
taste tests milk chocolate and only certain brands.
Being the Queen of chocolate and such she's awfully busy
and has no time for *certain* kinds of chocolate.
All dark chocolate made by Lindt's (including and most
ESPECIALLY their truffles) and such are to be sent to ME for the testing
of said product. For your safety, of course as well as
freeing up Pat for other more important tasks.

Old August 17th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Hi there!

I got gifted with some of those very same cords, though I haven't used
any of them yet.

The instructions are tie up the fabic with the cords, you can use
plain string or rubber bands to isolate colors more or complexify the
pattern if you wish, and drop it into simmering salted water then boil
covered for half an hour. Two tablespoons of salt to the quart of
water, enough water to completely immerse your bundle (I would add
plus enough to allow a bit of movement in the pan, but then I haven't
done them yet) Allow to cool, and then untie your fabric. Rinse in
cool running water until the water runs clear, wash on cold with added
salt a couple of times. I would use synthropol (a special detergent
made for pre and post dying) but it just says cold soapy salted water
in the instructions.

You can also pour boiling water over your bundle, allow it to drain,
then wrap it in plastic or put it in a ziploc, drop that in simmering
water, and then bring it to a light boil for half an hour.

There are no microwave instructions. But if you are good at
microwaves you can probably suss it out. Me, I make popcorn, defrost
stuff, and reheat leftovers.

There are instructions for specific things and special effects. You
can email me for them if you like. The address is not munged.

NightMist

--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old August 17th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carol S.

Terri & Pat:

I should have known what a fun-loving group you have going here on this
Disc. Grp. Thanks for your responses & suggestions.

But, when it comes to chocolate-testing, I have been known to down a
good bunch too, so don't go looking for any from Wisconsin! LOL

I have certain logistic problems with dyeing items in that we live in a
condo. My laundry room is in the basement, but there is no laundry tub
with water faucet. Just washer & dryer hookup. It gets to be a real
pain in the 'you know what' to do any kind of crafting that requires
alot of water & disposing of dirty water 'cuz I have to trot up the
stairs to either the kitchen or bathroom while doing some of my
projects. I have a nice multi-purpose room in the basement with a
workbench my spouse made, but it's the darn water situation that
constantly 'bugs' me. Sometimes I dump used water in my washer & rinse
& spin it out, but have to be very careful with that.

Well, I think I'll sign off for a bit. We may play 9 holes of golf yet
this afternoon.

Carol S in WI

The cord A&T Quilting 0 April 20th 07 04:37 AM
Help - Gingko leaves pattern or instructions needed Viragored Beads 2 December 29th 05 10:35 AM
Stretchy Cord Gina Bull Beads 5 August 22nd 05 04:29 AM
Stack-n-Slash instructions needed Violet Volfie Quilting 6 January 15th 05 02:43 AM
3 dimentional dream catcher instructions needed Donna General Crafting 1 November 17th 04 11:47 PM