Opinions Please....

Old January 25th 04, 01:28 PM
CM

Default Opinions Please....

Hi everyone

I'm currently making a twin size quilt for a little girl using panels
of the Disney Princess'. When I quilt the blocks "edges" there is
still about 6 1/2 inches in the middle of the block that isn't going
to be quilted. I want it to be washable, but is 6 1/2 inches too much
to leave not quilted? I tried going around the Princess & I'm just
not sure I like the way that looks at all! Thoughts?

Old January 25th 04, 02:38 PM
georg

CM wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm currently making a twin size quilt for a little girl using panels
of the Disney Princess'. When I quilt the blocks "edges" there is
still about 6 1/2 inches in the middle of the block that isn't going
to be quilted. I want it to be washable, but is 6 1/2 inches too much
to leave not quilted? I tried going around the Princess & I'm just
not sure I like the way that looks at all! Thoughts?

That depends on your batting. What did the directions on the batting
say? Some battings allow 10" gaps, some insist on only 1-2" gaps. If
your batting allows 6" gaps, you are fine.

Consider putting a tack in for the dimples. That may help, =)

-georg

Old January 25th 04, 02:43 PM
Jeri

"CM" wrote in message

Hi everyone

I'm currently making a twin size quilt for a little girl using panels
of the Disney Princess'. When I quilt the blocks "edges" there is
still about 6 1/2 inches in the middle of the block that isn't going
to be quilted. I want it to be washable, but is 6 1/2 inches too much
to leave not quilted? I tried going around the Princess & I'm just
not sure I like the way that looks at all! Thoughts?

It's going to depend on what brand and type of batting you used. Some need
to be quilted no more than 1/2" apart while others can be quilted up to 10".

Here's a few manufacturers websites with recomendations. If yours isn't here
then I would try finding a website for them or calling if there's a number
on the batting package.

http://www.stearnstextiles.com/products.htm
http://www.poly-fil.com/consumer/cpr...itemid=batting
http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html
http://www.hobbsbondedfibers.com/Retail.htm
http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/

I don't know what the panels look like but if you do have to quilt inside
that 6 1/2" space maybe put small stars or roses or in there to take up some
of the space?
--
Jeri

Old January 25th 04, 04:09 PM
cozy

is it possible that we can see a pic of the block, even the one you quilted
around and don't like?

--
email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
net

Old January 25th 04, 04:09 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Yep, no matter what the batting, 6½" is too much area
to leave unquilted. No matter what the batting pkg says
about how close to quilt, the large unquilted part could be
somewhat floppy or loose after just a couple of washings.
You're going to all the trouble of making this quilt,
why not give it a little more work?
You could put a diagonal "X" thru' the center of each
block, won't detract from the picture inside, or just a smaller
"x" in the center. Something to tack that piece down,
simple but effective.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old January 25th 04, 06:17 PM
KJ

I agree with the previous answers! That's just a little too much "floppy"
space no matter what kind of batting you used. There must be some detail on
the panels you can outline or add to each panel to hold it down better. You
could even add a little beading for some extra sparkle depending on how old
your daughter is. Or you could use some pretty metallic thread and make
some tacks. Have fun with it!
Kathyl

Old January 25th 04, 08:45 PM
Pati Cook

Or decorate with some added lace edging or trim of some sort that would be sewn
all the way through. (around the neckline or fancy up a skirt or such.)
Maybe just echo quilt around the figure. say near the outline then 1/2" away.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 25th 04, 08:48 PM
Pati Cook

Sent some suggestions then thought of something else.......
In a lot of appliqué samplers (think Baltimore album types) the
background is grid quilted on the diagonals right up to the applique. You
could do that too.
Pati, in Phx

Old January 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Kraterfields

You don't like the outline of the princess quilted; do something to push the
background "down".

Echo quilting was one suggestion I read. Another pattern I use to
accentuate the motif is to put "rays" going to the block edge. I.e., make
them emanating from the center of the princess, but go behind her, so they
stop at her edge. This baltimore I did has them:
http://members.cox.net/kratersge/baltmore.jpg

A third pattern... one or two "frames" that are in from the edge of the
block maybe an inch. If you do 1 and that seems to still leave too big an
area, do another. This one I just finished does that:
http://members.cox.net/kratersge/leaflap.JPG

My 2c on the embellishment suggestions..
I'd avoid beading for real "use" quilt. That's the one embellishment that
fell apart on my daughter's.. the lace I used for "gingerbread" on house and
white "wrought iron" fences held up fine, though, so I'd go for adding lace
to the princess if you like.
--
susan kraterfield
see my quilts: http://members.cox.net/kratersge