A Kath Triathlon

Old July 15th 03, 04:12 PM
mkahogan

Default A Kath Triathlon

I'm guessing your lack of sleep is due to weaning off the Ambien (sp,
sorry). Is that what the problem is? Is there something you could take for
sleep that wouldn't have the "mental" sideaffects?
KathyH
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
Normally in one day, I manage to get showered and dressed, but that's it.

Or
I go for a ride in the car, or I walk one circuit around the backyard.
Afterward, I sleep like a narcoleptic dog on Novocaine, drooling onto the
pillow.

I had a bad night last night, breathing troubles and pain kept me from
getting any sleep at all. At 6:30 a.m., I finally gave up, took my shower
and got dressed. Figured I was done for the day, But Nooooo.

My sister picked up DD and me and we went to the post office, to renew our
passports (we are careful to always have a valid passport). I stood in

line
and got my bead package a day early, it had missed the carrier's bag

packing
ritual today. Our Post office is a big old Granite WPA edifice, and you

get
to stand on cold granite or cold marble while waiting for service. After

we
were done, I figured I was done for the day, but Noooo.

Sister decided that I don't get out enough, and that I need a tour of the
neighborhood in which we grew up. I am unimpressed: I live a half mile
away, she's the one that moved to the country. She then proceeds to drive
like a madwoman through the Blue Hills Reservation to a swimming hole we

used
to frequent in the summer. We sat in the sun, enjoying a beverage and

people
watching. A Jewish lady at the table taught some fresh air fund little

kids
to play blackjack, which became much more exciting when they started

playing
for pretzels. cute.

Then I had to go to the bathroom. Nothing. They have a handicapped
restroom, with all the other restrooms, at the bathhouse. To get to the
bathhouse, you have to follow a rutted gravel road for a bit then cross

the
sand to find the ramp, which is short and steep. But I made it, found the
restroom to be amazingly disgusting, but as the old salts say, "Any port

in a
storm." Fortunately, I followed one of my mother's three rules for life:

1.
Don't sit on the seat, god knows what you'll get! 2. Take plenty of

napkins.
and 3., which we refer to as "practice, practice, practice).**

I walked the whole quarter mile, only having to rely on the child to

steady
me for the last half of it. But I was totally whipped. I feel like a

great
white whale, looking at that spear, and knowing the party's over (at least
for today) So against the boos and hisses of my compadres, we went home,

make plans for another day.

I am so beat to death that I feel nauseated. Yet, when I lie down, I

cannot
sleep. I'll have to give it a few moments and try again. But wow, it

felt
good to do 3 normal people things in one day. Hooray!

Kathy N-V

**"Practice, Practice, Practice" was our teenaged way of expressing our
embarrassment with my mother's insistance that not only should her

children
know all about reproduction and birth control, their friends were also
subject to random search and seizure, and manditory indoctrination into

the
"Omi School of Sex Ed." Fortunately, it had a greatly compressed

curriculum:

1. Don't. Ever.

2. Not even if you're in love. You only think you're in love and
men all lie to get laid. Why?
2a. Sex is important to men.

3. If you decide to ignore rules 1 and 2, you must practice effective

birth
control on both partners, every time, until you have a home in the suburbs
and a job and have traveled the world and are ready to give up your life

for
children. Only then can you dispense with full body armor.

Gotta say one thing for mom: she took many a teen to Planned Parenthood

get the pill and kept after the girls to keep the prescription filled.

She
didn't like it, but she put her money where her mouth was. I used to

break
out of my usual teen sullenness to realize how special and wonderful that
was.

Old July 15th 03, 04:20 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Kathy,

Have you tried any yoga or yoga-related relaxation techniques? There is
this rotation breathing think I learned from my pregnancy yoga DVD that is
incredibly relaxing and soothing and when I have trouble falling asleep, I
practice that for a while and it really helps.

LMK if you'd like more info!!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Old July 15th 03, 06:59 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

The specific one that I like is the 'in one nostril, hold, out the other
nostril' technique. :-)

LMK if it helps!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:20:06 -0400, Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote
(in message ):

Kathy,

Have you tried any yoga or yoga-related relaxation techniques? There is
this rotation breathing think I learned from my pregnancy yoga DVD that

is
incredibly relaxing and soothing and when I have trouble falling asleep,

practice that for a while and it really helps.

LMK if you'd like more info!!

We have some tapes that the girls use. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks!

Kathy

Old July 15th 03, 08:20 PM
Dr. Sooz

Kathy, does dried lavender give you an asthma attack? (And I treat it with a
little essential oil to help in aromatherapy use.) It's helpful for
sleep-inducement. Let me know.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne