OT - Ultimate Cinnamon roll recipe

Old August 29th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson

Default OT - Ultimate Cinnamon roll recipe

I'm not really interested in sweet food now (Week 20 now) but for some
reason, I feel compelled to find the best cinnamon roll recipe in the
world. I have been doing loads of baking lately... don't know what that
is all about either. I tried the recipe in my New Cookbook (red and
white checked cover, printed in the 1990s, my sister gave it to me...
it's in the kitchen and I'm not....) and they were not cinnamon enough,
and certainly not moist enough.

I continued in my search and used one from the internet today, called
"The Ultimate Cinnamon Roll" and it used a butter cream frosting, loads
of brown sugar and loads of cinnamon. I tried a couple and you know,
it's a lot moister and closer to the nirvana of cinnamon baking that I seek.

I just wondered if you kind, helpful people could post your favourite
cinnamon roll recipe, or provide a link if that's possible? I have a
feeling that this baking urge will last a while, or at least until the
energy runs out, or until Mark hits 20 stone, whatever happens first....

I'll be having another scan on Wednesday. The 20-week scan, but it will
be 21 weeks for me, and I can feel the creature moving about now. Very
odd, and Mark is definitely jealous that he cannot feel anything yet. I
have pointed out that this is because I have a baby inside me, and he
only has many cinnamon rolls and stored fat. He says I am cruel.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 29th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

My recipes are for a bread machine. I think you should do really
well if you look for a Cinnabon copy cat recipe. I use one of
those. The other dough I like to use is one with buttermilk.
It seems like most sweet baked recipes I really enjoy are buttermilk
ones. I don't think you can go wrong with a basic one of those.
I tend to use brown and white sugar in the filling and toss in some
chopped walnuts and raisins with the cinnamon. I like a cream cheese
icing. I don't bake nearly as often as I used to but I do treat myself
occasionally. Not really a recipe but hope the info helps.
Good luck on that baby making. Sounds like you are coming along
well. Won't be long until Mark can feel the baby too. There is nothing
so wonderful in this world as that IMO.
Taria

Old August 29th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well now, dear mother-to-be, if you want the best cinnamon roll in the
world, you must begin with the best cinnamon.
When you have time, go to www.penzeyspices.com and just Look at what's
out there. There's Cassia, Ceylon, China, Vietnamese and Korintje.
Okay. They're not next door and you yearn for cinnamon rolls Now.
It is very possible that your own tin of cinnamon is of an undetermined
age and proper storing. Tell your grocer about your yearn for the best
cinnamon (which will begin with some that hasn't been on the shelves for
years) and we will hope that he will understand the cravings of your
wonderful condition and help you choose the best available.
The selection, care and origin of spices is probably not a major concern
to you just now . . . but dull, old cinnamon won't help even the best
recipe. FWIW, my own craving was for spinach. We never expected me to be
normal. Polly

Old August 29th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Listpig

He needs to find an alien masquerading as a cinnamon roll and eat that.
Then he can feel it move inside him.....

.....or maybe that thought will just make him an itty bitty bit grateful that
he *can't* feel anything moving inside him.

--pig, who still can't watch that scene from Alien.....

Old August 29th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I use a rich white bread reciepe. One that calls for eggs in it. Then
make roll out no measurements sprinkle with br sugar and cinnamen place
in pan. Let rise and bake. They have never failed me and I've used a few
bread reciepes with no problems.

When baby want something I usually give in. If not it will bug me for
days and days until I do.
Good Luck
Joanna

Old August 29th 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

For really fresh cinnamon, grind your own from sticks bought in the
Indian stores here in the UK. One of those electric coffee whizzers
with the blades will reduce most hard spices to dust successfully. I
tend to gring my own, and once ground, they keep well in the freezer.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 29th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

I have a bag of some fancy organic cinnamon that a friend ordered for
me. It is fab stuff, darker than the stuff you get in the shop, and I
could sit and simply inhale its wonderful aroma, but then Mark would
make jokes about "inhaling" no doubt. A couple we know orders from
Green City as a big cooperative, and occasionally we get the odd item
when they put in a order every 3 months.

Here is the recipe I used. It's pretty good, but when it came to making
the frosting/icing I couldn't find my cream cheese one and used their
butter cream recipe instead:

Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

1 ½ packages (about 3 ¼ teaspoons) dry yeast
¼ cup warm water
½ cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg
4 to 5 cups sifted flour
Melted butter
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Raisins (optional)

Vanilla frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Milk or cream (2 to 4 tablespoons)

Add the warm water to the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes.
Scald milk; pour over the shortening. Add the sugar and salt and cool
to tepid. Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add 4 cups flour
adding one at a time, beating after each addition.
Dough should be soft yet firm enough to handle. Knead on floured board
until elastic and smooth. Avoid too much flour. Turn dough into well
oiled bowl. Let rise for 1 ½ hours.
Press dough down and divide into workable size. Roll dough out into a
rectangle. Cover with melted butter. Layer with a generous, thick
layer of brown sugar*. Sprinkle on cinnamon as desired. If you like
raisins, add a layer of raisins. Roll up jellyroll fashion, on one long
side of the rectangle.
Use a piece of thick thread or dental floss to cut off slices about 1 to
1 ½ inches thick. Place slices in an 8 or 9 inch round greased cake
pan. Place one slice in the middle and the other slices around it.
Press rolls down to even out and fill pan. Let rise until rolls fill
the pan generously….. about another hour.
Bake in a 350 F degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. If rolls get too
brown, cover with a piece of tinfoil until the end of baking. Do not
over-bake rolls!
Remove immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over
onto another plate to right the rolls. Alternatively, let cool on a
wire rack, either in the pan or out of it.

For the frosting:
In a medium bowl, place sugar, butter and vanilla. Then stir in enough
milk or cream to reach a thick, barely-able-to-stir consistency.
Spread over warm rolls as soon as they are placed on a plate to let the
frosting melt and run into the rolls.

* A good generous layer is about ¼ inch layer of brown sugar completely
covered with cinnamon.

Prep time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Can be frozen, then reheated in the microwave
Also, the dough can be made the day before and stored in the
refrigerator over night

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 29th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Well now, dear mother-to-be, if you want the best cinnamon roll in the
world, you must begin with the best cinnamon.
When you have time, go to www.penzeyspices.com and just Look at what's
out there. There's Cassia, Ceylon, China, Vietnamese and Korintje.

There's a Penzey's across the street from my favorite quilt shop in Kansas
City. All my quilts smell like cinnamon.

And it's http://www.penzeys.com . I mean, just so you know.

Cindy

Old August 29th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh my golly, Cindy. Really? They would have to have me removed at closing
time. And I'm with you - all my quilts smell a bit like cinnamon too.
Polly

"teleflora" wrote