What Quilt Scares You?

Old October 28th 03, 01:49 AM
nzl*

this faker is a scaredy cat.
i dont make quilts, i make blocks.
i like making different blocks that take my fancy.
one day i might get round to stick'n'm to one another.
i got three proper quilts in my house and one not so proper but it still
works to keep ya warm in winter in front of the tv (little wee cot quilt the
babys used).
theres only three of us here now, so we each got one, its enough.
i'm happy with whats going on for now.
aint nothing to be scared of really if ya just do one block.
if that one doesnt work, try another one. then make a sampler quilt, lol.
jeanne

"Diana Curtis" wrote...
| Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots
| think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about
it
| makes you tremble?
| Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried.
In

Old October 28th 03, 01:54 AM
sdgodfrey

A very astute question! I guess if I can figure out what differentiates
the ones I like from the ones I don't, it will be much easier to choose
fabric. Hmm... The problem is I can't pin-point it. None of the
pictures I've seen really inspire me. But the two I've seen 'in real
life' were both gorgeous. I'm trying to remember just what the ones I
liked look like. I think they had a dark center, graduating out to
light fabrics. But I'm not sure. I may have to re-visit them to check.
Thanks for the push to think it through.

BTW, here are some links to some Blooming Nine Patches on the web:

http://www.doublejproductions.com/lo...?TOPIC_ID=1351

http://www.tlcquilts.com/images/bloom9p1.jpg

http://mclaren.frenzy.com/quilting/blooming9patch.html

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

Old October 28th 03, 02:43 AM
Sharon Harper

Anything with curves or diamonds - but that hasn't stopped me! LOL

However, being serious, it would have to be the more intricate patterns -
you know the blocks with gazillions of pieces? Waaaay scary!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old October 28th 03, 02:48 AM
AliceW

WOW! I love the last one, and I have the book! I saw Blanche on SQ one
time and got hooked on her quilts. This one is fabulous! My list just got
one quilt longer.

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
i see the appeal of the blooming nine patch, thanks for the links, what

an
incredible play of color and texture they have going. I bet there is a

sort
of formula the quilter used as a guide in choosing colors and

design....now
Im curious to see if I can puzzle it out on my own....
thanks Sherri!
Di

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
et...

Old October 28th 03, 03:01 AM
Coleen

Karen --

Did you say party??? Well, of course, I am on board. :-)

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Queen of Squishies" wrote in message
ink.net...
My Jinny Beyer quilt kit "Stained Glass Star". It will be my first
Lone-Star-type of quilt assembly. I keep putting it off because I don't
want to ruin the beautiful, and I mean gorgeous!, fabrics. Tell you what,
let's have a party when I finally START the thing, instead of when I get

it
FINISHED! Who's on board??

Karen, Queen of Squishies
motivated by celebrations
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old October 28th 03, 03:08 AM
Elena

Me Me!! I'll happily do the Snoopy dance when you make that first cut!

I'll bet you beans to navy dollars that if you took a picture of you holding
up the fabric and one of you holding up the quilt, 100 % of the rctq'ers
will tell you the quilt is more gorgeous than the fabric!

Elena, grinning

Old October 28th 03, 03:24 AM
Judy G

"Jalynne" wrote in message ink.net...
I'd like to try everything once. I might wanna make something small with the
hexagons. like a table runner or something....who knows

Gosh, don't let a little ol' hexagon scare ya...When I did my g'mothers
flower garden I drafted a hexagon 2 and 1/2 inched across, taped it to
plastic and cut out a template.
On the wrong side of the material, I used a very sharp pencil to mark
around the template in rows, leaving 1/2" between each piece for the
seam allowance. The pencil mark is your sewing line. I never considered
doing this by machine...it was my hand work project while I watched TV.

This was a pattern that inspired me to start quilting...I wanted a
flower garden quilt and was determined to make one. :-)

I didn't know that all the centers were "supposed" to be yellow or that
the "path" between the flowers was "supposed" to be white. And I used
high-loft batting which was a nightmare to hand quilt...I quilted in
the ditch...sure made those hexagons 'poof'up nicely though.

You go girl...make that table runner...I'm rootin' for you.

Judy G who couldn't keep quiet on this one.
Old October 28th 03, 03:45 AM
Pat in Virginia

I'm going to get a FLOOD of quilts? Oh happy day!! Wait 'til
Butterfly reads this .... snicker!
PAT in VA/USA ... going out to enlarge the mail box

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Yeah, but none of my quilts have noses.

That's a dangerous kind of statement to put out to this group. Next thing
you know, you're going to get a flood of quilts with noses.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 28th 03, 03:56 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Oh, wouldn't they have a blast together!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"AliceW" wrote in message
I would love it! Perhaps I'll have to do that when I bring the Kirbster

up!

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends."
John Churton Collins

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Come up for a visit some weekend and I'll have you hand appliquing with

ease
before you leave!

Old October 28th 03, 03:57 AM
melinda

Diana Curtis wrote:
Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots to
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried. In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner to
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its on my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the same
quilts.
Diana

Applique! Of any sort ATM.

--