Silly question

Old May 15th 04, 11:51 AM
Cryn

Default Silly question

Hello everyone
I'm delurking to ask a silly question. The answer must be obvious but I
haven't found it anywhere!
I'm making a baby quilt this weekend as my second grandchild is due on
Tuesday. I've made lots of clothes and love hand embroidery so I thought -
how hard can it be? I 've kept it simple - lemon and white squares with
baby animal pictures on 3 diagonals on the bottom left side. I got
winceyette for the backing which shrank in the wash to just the right size
( how lucky is that?).
Now it seems to me that if I quilt the top to the filling then bind the top
to the backing, the backing is going to 'bag out', if you see what I mean.
Should I quilt through all the layers, including the backing, or do you put
little tie stitches in to hold it in place, or what?
(I got a couple of quilting magazines but got sidetracked trying to figure
out how paper piecing works!!!)
I'm using a Necchi Lydia machine - will it snag on the filling do you think?
I have recently treated myself to a beautiful old Singer treadle and an old
Singer hand machine but haven't had time to get reaquainted with them yet.
(I learned on a treadle as a child)
BTW, I bought the old Singers from an old gent who said they had belonged to
his mother who had been a milliner. The narrow part of the top of the
machine had a wad of stockinette material wound round and stitched tight and
it was full of pins. I thought WHAT a good idea!
I so enjoy reading your posts and your enthusiasm is infectious so I'm sure
this won't be the last quilt I make!
--
Carolyn
(remove pants to reply direct)

Old May 15th 04, 12:23 PM
Julia Altshuler

As with anything, there are many ways to do this. Here's the most
common and, I think, the easiest.

I'm not familiar with the term winceyette, but I can tell that's the
fabric you intend to use for the back. When you say it shrank to
exactly the right size, that should mean 2" larger than the front so
that it will be an inch bigger all the way around. You'll see why this
is so in a second. If it isn't a little larger than the front, go ahead
a sew a strip of anything to it to make it a bit bigger. You don't have
to measure exactly, and the fabric doesn't have to match. Anything you
have leftover from the front will do.

Now place your backing fabric right side down on your table and smooth
it out with no wrinkles. This takes some time, but get it right. Use
adhesive tape and tape it to the table.

Place the filling (another term I haven't heard, but I know you mean
batting or wadding) on the backing. Smooth it so it too is wrinkle free.

Put the lemon and white top on the batting right side up. Smooth and
wrinkle free is important again. The 3 layers are now exactly the way
they'll be in the finished quilt. You now need a temporary way of
keeping them all smooth and wrinkle free until you can sew them together
permanently. I use safety pins every 4" all the way around in a grid.
Other's use 2" basting stitches. A long needle helps.

Once your quilt is sandwiched, you can use your Necchi, and nothing will
bag out, and nothing will snag. Remove the pins at the last minute as
you come to them when quilting. Or take the basting thread out whenever.

When the whole thing is quilted to your satisfaction, all you need is a
binding to keep the batting from peaking out at the edges. You can use
that leftover inch from the back, or you can make a binding and sewing
it on (my preferred method).

--Lia

Old May 15th 04, 01:18 PM
Cryn

Wonderful, thanks Lia! I'm off right now to get on with it.
Thanks again,
--
Carolyn
(remove pants to reply)

Old May 15th 04, 01:48 PM
Julia Altshuler

Julia Altshuler wrote:

I use safety pins every 4" all the way around in a grid.
Other's use 2" basting stitches. A long needle helps.

Aauuuggggh! I can't believe I typed that! Make it "Others use 2"
basting stitches." Not "Other's." Misplaced apostrophes. Bleah.

--Lia

Old May 15th 04, 02:10 PM
Diana Curtis

This is the Grammar and Punctuation Police, stand away from your keyboard!
The Spelling Police dont want to hold you on a charge of misuse of letters
for the term "bleah" at this time but caution you to use your spell checker
from now on, they will be watching you.
Diana ;-)

Old May 15th 04, 04:20 PM
Julia Altshuler

Diana Curtis wrote:
This is the Grammar and Punctuation Police; stand away from your keyboard!
The Spelling Police don't want to hold you on a charge of misuse of letters
for the term "bleah" at this time but caution you to use your spell checker
from now on; they will be watching you.

Thanks. I'm the sort who feels more secure knowing the grammar police
are keeping me safe from promiscuous apostrophes.

--Lia

Old May 15th 04, 05:01 PM

Is it just me, or does Promiscuous Apostrophes sound like the name of a punk rock
band?
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Diana Curtis wrote:
This is the Grammar and Punctuation Police; stand away from your keyboard!
The Spelling Police don't want to hold you on a charge of misuse of letters
for the term "bleah" at this time but caution you to use your spell checker
from now on; they will be watching you.

Thanks. I'm the sort who feels more secure knowing the grammar police
are keeping me safe from promiscuous apostrophes.

--Lia

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old May 15th 04, 07:00 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Diana Curtis wrote:
This is the Grammar and Punctuation Police; stand away from your

keyboard!
The Spelling Police don't want to hold you on a charge of misuse of

letters
for the term "bleah" at this time but caution you to use your spell

checker
from now on; they will be watching you.

Thanks. I'm the sort who feels more secure knowing the grammar police
are keeping me safe from promiscuous apostrophes.

So let me guess. You two have both ordered your copies of "Eats, Shoots, and
Leaves". ;-)

(Mine is on reserve at the library)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 15th 04, 07:06 PM
Johanna Gibson

So let me guess. You two have both ordered your copies of "Eats, Shoots, and
Leaves". ;-)

(Mine is on reserve at the library)

My partner's dad got that book for Christmas and he read it in about
4 days. I promptly borrowed it afterwards!

-- Jo in Scotland

Split Rings - silly question Zanaida Beads 12 May 11th 04 06:47 PM
Silly storage question KJ Quilting 10 January 27th 04 05:50 AM
I think we'll have carry-out pizza tonight (was "Silly Storage Question") Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 5 January 25th 04 06:05 AM
Silly Question! Jan and Ron Rubberstamps 3 November 26th 03 05:12 PM
Silly question JL Amerson Beads 11 October 30th 03 02:57 AM