Makins and La Doll & other stone ground mineral clays??

Old October 13th 03, 06:21 PM
DianeGlassAttic

Default Makins and La Doll & other stone ground mineral clays??

I'm curious about the composition of the Makins-type clay, especially compared
to the Japanese clays like LaDoll, etc. (It was really hard to find out what
their composition was when I researched, but I finally found a reference to
"stone ground mineral" clay.)

Here's some info I gathered about those clays (a lot of which reminds me of
Jeanne's comments re the Makins . . . except that dollmakers may want an
*extremely* smooth cured finish? and they don't come in colors).

Anybody know more about these?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````
Stone-ground mineral clays (air-drying)

....LaDoll clay . . .It's a Japanese clay (stone-ground mineral clay, air
drying, pale gray-white).
....I've seen it. It is a very very fine clay and resembles porcelain. Never
used it, although the folks I know who work with paper clays say it is
fabulous. Linda
....La doll clay is an air drying clay brand. I have worked with it when i made
dolls but I like polymer clays better... ladoll sometimes cracks when it is
drying! Depends on how much water you use with it and how humid is the room you
are letting it dry in . . . When you are finished with sculpting with ladoll
you proberly need to sand your sculpture first and then paint it with an
acrylic paint and then you can varnish it..
... All clay is expensive here in Holland but if you look at how much a brick a
fimo/premo cost then the La Doll isn't at all expensive here. Ria
http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/dollmaking.html (one supplier of LaDoll)
.....La Doll...Satin Smooth stone clay. Sticks to any core material, wire,wood,
glass or paper. Can be carved, sanded, and polished when dry. Raw LaDoll can be
added to dried LaDoll. Paintable with any type of paint, once dried.... for
doll making where skin tones are
important.http://www.bluemoondanzer.com/Airdry.htm

FormoFit and LaDoll ...They are all Japanese air dry clays.... Right now I am
working with LaDoll. It is a little bit smoother and I find it nicer to work
with than FormoFit. But it is the same brand and almost the same price. This
clay is wonderfull.
....Totally different from the polymerclays of course. It has advantages and
disadvantages. I like the clay because you can, after it is dry, sculpt it by
cutting it with a knife, so correct it that way, sandpaper it, etc and after
you wet the dry clay with water you can add more wet clay and so on, till you
are satisfied. . . . When it is finished and completely dry you have to
sandpaper it and polish it. That is hard work, that is the disadvantage part of
the clay. . . .After polishing, use a brush to get rid of all the dust and then
you can paint it. I use ordinary paint that is used to paint walls
(waterbased). I colour it with acryl-or watercolorpaint and add lots of
mineralwater. I painted the parts 6 times, do not tuch the parts anymore,
because of the grease on your fingers.Paint de details of the fingers, eyes,
lips, etc. Than put protecting spray on it. Glue the eyelashes and put a gloss
varnish on the nails, eyes, mouth.
http://home.hccnet.nl/a.werker/anna-...d-tips-eng.htm

Premier . . .. A natural stone air dried clay of exceptional strength and
versatility. Fine grained and malleable it offers strength to small doll parts
and permits crafting thin, but strong projects. Sticks to any core material:
wire, wood, glass or paper. Can be carved, sanded and polished when dry. Raw
clay can be added even when dried hard. Paint with any type of paint when dry
Can be mixed with LaDoll for the added strength of Premier and the beauty of
LaDoll
http://www.miniworlddolls.com/CSClays2.htm

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com --polymer clay "encyclopedia"