$25 dollars off Rowenta at JoAnns???

Old April 15th 04, 10:49 PM
Mardi

I just received my new iron from The Vermont Country Store. It is an
all metal dry iron, medium size, with no auto shutoff. I love it. I
especially love no steam holes. If I want to steam a block, I spritz
it and then "press" it. Works just like steam!

Mardi

Phaedrine wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Laurie G." wrote:

I've had 2 Rowenta's. I loved them both - at first. I like to press my
blocks at the cotton setting - sometimes with steam, sometimes without. The
dial on the first iron cooked. I couldn't turn it anymore. The second iron
started leaking. It didn't matter whether steam was on or not. They
shouldn't leak at any setting. I did Google them prior to purchase and was
actually forewarned about the leaking problem but wanted one really bad
anyway. Wasted $$ on both!

I now have a $25.99 iron from Target that works just fine. And, I won't feel
so horrible when I toss it at the end of it's life. :-)

Laurie G.

Please, what brand is it? And by the way, the dial thing happened to my
first Rowenta too. The shot of steam also stopped working as well.

Old April 20th 04, 10:11 PM
Pati Cook

I have three Rowentas. I leave water in them when I turn them off. If you
follow the directions to turn the steam all the way on then off when turning
the iron off, it doesn't leak. One of them is one that was a return to the
store, it leaks. But the base is not quite square on the body of the iron, so I
think that is the problem. But I can use it as a dry iron that gets really
hot..
Before my first Rowenta I was replacing irons about every 9-10 months because
they would start smoking at the cord attatchment. The first Rowenta lasted
more than 15 years before it stopped heating as well as it should. I think
that if I opened it up and cleaned crud out of it it would be fine. I just am
lazy.

Pati, in Phx.

teleflora wrote:

"Phaedrine" wrote in message

The last three Rowentas I bought (three different models) all leaked
like a sieve--- water pours out the holes leaving big water spots that
soak into the ironing board after only maybe 10 minutes of ironing. I
had to take them all back. What is the deal with irons? I have tried
other brands too (the rest all made in China now) and they leak too.

I've had a good Rowenta for going on 5 years and I use it a lot. A couple
of things. 1. As someone else mentioned, the setting has to be pretty high
to get steam and not drippy water, and 2. You really, really have to be
diligent about emptying the water when you are done. I don't know what it
is about the water sitting in that tank, but it will start leaking.

I really do love that iron.
Cindy

Old April 21st 04, 01:27 AM
Phaedrine

In article ,
Pati Cook wrote:

I have three Rowentas. I leave water in them when I turn them off.
If you follow the directions to turn the steam all the way on then
off when turning the iron off, it doesn't leak.....

I currently have two Rowentas. Both leak out the steam holes but only
after the iron has been used for 10-20 minutes. I looked in the
directions for both irons, and it does not say that anywhere!
Nonetheless, I will try it on both irons and let you know if it works.
I would try nearly anything to prevent this leaking including turning a
few cartwheels. Normally, I usually just unplug my iron without
touching anything since (1) the dial is frozen on the older Rowenta and
(2) I usually have my irons set only on Cotton/Linen anyway. On the
older one, the steam is either on or off with no adjustment.

Old April 21st 04, 02:19 AM
Julia in MN

what kind of water are you using in the iron? The instructions for my
Rowenta say that if you use distilled water, the iron may spit. It says
to use tap water; if your water is extremely hard, you can mix tap water
and distilled water. We have a filter on our faucet for drinking water
and that is what I use in my iron. I haven't had any problems with it
leaking.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old April 21st 04, 07:38 PM
Phaedrine

In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

what kind of water are you using in the iron? The instructions for my
Rowenta say that if you use distilled water, the iron may spit. It says
to use tap water; if your water is extremely hard, you can mix tap water
and distilled water. We have a filter on our faucet for drinking water
and that is what I use in my iron. I haven't had any problems with it
leaking.

Julia in MN

I have always used tap water since that is what the directions say to
use. We have a fairly neutral city water--- not too hard, not too soft.
It's nice to hear that some don't have leaking problems. I ust wish I
was one of you.

Phae
Old April 21st 04, 07:44 PM
Bonnie

Phaedrine wrote:
In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

what kind of water are you using in the iron? The instructions for my
Rowenta say that if you use distilled water, the iron may spit. It says
to use tap water; if your water is extremely hard, you can mix tap water
and distilled water. We have a filter on our faucet for drinking water
and that is what I use in my iron. I haven't had any problems with it
leaking.

Julia in MN

I use bottled water because our water is extremely hard.

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old April 21st 04, 08:25 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
So did anyone among these hundred or so posts about
irons check out the deal w/ Rowentas at JoAnns?
Just wondering.... g

Irons: I never, and I mean NEVER put water in my irons
anymore. No leaks, no mess. Handy spray bottle of water sits close
by for smoother ironing. Like vhs players, irons are more of a
disposable appliance now, so I don't intend to spend big bucks on
one, and will replace when it refuses to get hot enough to take out wrinkles
(from fabric g). Current model is a Sunbeam I got on sale at Sears for
$15, 3 or 4 years ago; gets hot, isn't too heavy, and it works just fine,
dry.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message

Ph
The last three Rowentas I bought (three different models) all leaked
like a sieve--- water pours out the holes leaving big water spots that
soak into the ironing board after only maybe 10 minutes of ironing. I
had to take them all back. What is the deal with irons? I have tried
other brands too (the rest all made in China now) and they leak too.

I thought mine leaked to until I read the instructions that came with
it. I know, I know, you shouldn't have to read the instructions to work
an iron, but. . .

The steam setting is the highest setting. it leaks if you try to use
steam with a lower temp setting. So when I want steam I crank it up and
use a press cloth to prevent any shines or schorches. Not always
conveninet but I love the teflon sole plate.

Maureen

Old April 22nd 04, 12:09 AM
Phaedrine

In article ,
" Ellison" wrote:

Irons: I never, and I mean NEVER put water in my irons
anymore. No leaks, no mess. Handy spray bottle of water sits close
by for smoother ironing.

Amazing isn't it? Here we are in the 21st century and we are supposed
to be progressing. But now we have to go back to dry irons because so
many irons leak. What a crazy world........
Old April 22nd 04, 10:26 AM
R.E. Wicker

That's the cheeriess news I've read in a long time. I have been
paying big buck for great irons that either clog up because I have
cheated on the kind of water I put in them, or I forget to put it in
it's rack and knock it on the floor, 70 dollar iron break just as
easily as a $15. one. What I desire is some thing that gets hot stays
hot and doesn't automatically shut off. I could go back to a spray
bottle of water, who am I now at 82 years to have to keep up with the
times.

My second book goes to press next week and will be on the market by
the 1st of May. I mention this because NOW I can get back to making
my Autumn Leaves quilt and the Delectable Mountain. I found the VHS
for the mountain, but am still looking for the book. I had to move
out of my office as the miscroscopic organisms from the archival
records of my sister took over my life. I promise my sister before
she died in 2001 that I would publish her research along with my
second book....I am on my second round of trying to get rid of these
effects on my allergies and asthma. My doctor put me on double
maximum of prednisone and then left town for two weeks. I am
restricted to home (my dear son Eric) is ridding my former office of
the unseeable bugs, water proofing the walls from possible mold and in
the meantime I bought a brand new Oak Computer desk and matching file
cabinet, plus ordered an extention Oak table. It takes up a lot of
room in MY bedroom I may never move my office back to the lower
level. OOPS! no air conditioning and July and August can really wear
one down.

Thanks again about the tip on the Irons.

Rhoda

http://home.att.net/~rewicker/QuiltGallery