Will I get to stitch today???

Old August 20th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Will I get to stitch today???

Jangchub wrote:

If they come up short, the teacher winds up buying
suppiles out of their own pockets. The average teacher spends 600
dollars a year for their rooms. Totally insane.

Yep. My best friend in San Diego was a teacher, and when she did her
classroom shopping in August, we knew she'd need two carts, so she'd
always take me along to push the other one. OK, I'll put my own
purchases in the baby seat of the cart and you can have the main part
for your school supplies.

I got real good at picking up what she had put back muttering "too
expensive", and as we were putting the stuff in the trunk, moving it
from my bags to hers. My little contribution to our local schools.

And since I was mixing them in with the cartridges for my own printer,
etc., she never caught me at it till she got home. Yeah, whatcha gonna
do about it? You can't return them because **I** have the receipt!

Most of her students were from dirt-poor families (she suspected 90% of
the parents were here illegally), so if she wanted them to have crayons
or whatever, she had to buy them, because the families simply didn't
have money for school supplies.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 20th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"lucretia borgia" wrote
I heard the blowers are the worst, sucking up the germs and blowing them
on your hands lol

Now there's a comforting thought. Perhaps I should figure out how not to
breathe in the bathroom!!

Dawne

Old August 20th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lewmew wrote:

I agree teachers shouldn't have to spend out of their own
pockets, but sometimes some of the stuff is a bit ridiculous

There was just a great letter to the editor - this being the capital
city, we have no trouble getting hold of such statistics - that the
schools and teachers union spent umpty-million dollars on lobbying the
legislature, wouldn't that money have been better spent on school supplies?

Hearing from you-all that the parents are now being required to provide
the paper towels and copy paper, I wonder how far that money would have
gone toward the schools being able to provide those things themselves.

But then a whole bunch of overpaid lobbyists would have to go back to
working in actual productive jobs.....

Old August 20th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Me - I'm still wondering why a particular/brand style pen is required,
instead of black fine line....

So there's no competitiveness that your pens are better than mine?

Personally, I liked to go with a different pen, so it was easy to prove
"Johnny stole my pen", because I was the only one who used that kind.

Old August 20th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

But the list is at Office Max, not the local Staples or Wally World.....

Oh. I know it's at OM because that's where I go, and just assumed that
it would also be at Staples, Office Depot, etc. (of which there aren't
any in my neighborhood).

Old August 20th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"lucretia borgia" wrote
I heard the blowers are the worst, sucking up the germs and blowing them
on your hands lol

Now there's a comforting thought. Perhaps I should figure out how not to
breathe in the bathroom!!

Dawne

I have an idea. Just learn to hold it in. That's what my mother said when
she disn't trust the cleanliness in a bathroom.

Lucille

Old August 20th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucretia borgia wrote:
Perhaps only available at one specific store ? I could see if for
instance Staples (just to pick a name) offered teachers, 'for every
kid who fills out your list here we will supply you with x number of
lists full for your class' but if teachers are getting kickbacks, I
would feel offended.

I do know that OfficeMax has a rebate card for teachers. They also have
one for business owners. I've never compared whether one gives the same
benefits as the other; I had the business card before they came out with
the teacher card.

You get a percentage back on your total, plus an additional percentage
for any OfficeMax brand products. However, you have to remember to
present the rebate card at the cash register so they can get your bar
code, so I'm not sure it would work for the parents to simply say "I'm
buying for Ms. Borgia's class". Will have to inquire next time I'm over
there.

Old August 20th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Jangchub wrote:

When I was growing up we swam in the East River in NYC. We were
allowed to get dirty.

My ex-boss was banned from a friend's house for being a bad babysitter!
Both parents needed to dash into work for something, and he offered to
watch the toddler while laying in the hammock doing his crossword puzzle.

He came in the next morning and asked me "did you eat dirt as a kid?"
Well, duh, we made mudpies and ate them, of course I ate dirt. And his
mother said we'd all eat a peck of dirt before we die. Well, the
friend's wife raised Cain because pass the smelling salts he allowed
the child to eat dirt! Which had not been sterilized!! swoon

No, the child did not have any bizarre immune system abnormality
requiring her to live in a bubble to avoid dying of day-to-day germs.
It was simply that Mommie Dearest wouldn't let her touch anything that
hadn't been sterilized for 5 minutes in boiling water. And that dirt
had been outdoors, where who knows what had touched it.

A friend's mother once observed that with the first child, she
sterilized the pacifiers. By #4, she'd spit on them, dry them with a
Kleenex and then put it back in the kid's mouth. By the time she got to

Old August 20th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Jangchub wrote:
So, what I'm saying is, why don't parents make sure this is a
preliminary function of being a lady or gentleman?

My dear girl, what planet are you on? Most parents don't teach the
little darlings diddly-squat about being ladies and gentlemen, only
about being a world-class censored. I suppose I should blame the
grandparents, because the parents don't know how to be ladies and
gentlemen, either!

It used to amaze me no end, we'd have an office party in an expensive
restaurant, and some of my younger colleagues apparently had never used
a knife and fork before. I'm not talking about confusedly picking the
wrong fork out of a selection of 6, but handling the utensils as if
they've only ever before eaten with their hands. Oh, yeah, that's
right, they eat all their meals at McD's and Taco Bell; they *don't*
ever use a fork.

Ginger and I found that it did no good to simply glare at them when they
committed a social faux pas, because they were quite sincere in their
cluelessness "why are you looking at me like that?" (Not like our
generation, where we knew EX-actly why the older generation were rolling
their eyes.) deep sigh, shoot each other the look "you want to explain
it or shall I?" and apparently be the first person who had ever given
them any sort of etiquette lesson. (Yes, child, the word please has a
use outside the phrase "oh puh-leeez". As in the sentence "please do
not wipe your snot on your bare hand and then use that same hand to pass
the salt".)