Yoohoo, Mommies!

Old August 17th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Yoohoo, Mommies!

On 8/17/08 11:15 AM, in article
, "lewmew"
wrote:

..

I would like to gather up every Barbie I could and have a big bonfire.
It amazes me that women would still buy these damned things for their
daughters ! * Think anorexia for one.

If you think Barbies are bad, check out Bratz:

http://www.thehandicrafts.net/static...blog/bratz.jpg

MUCH worse - makes Barbie look positively prudish!

Linda

I HATE bratz. Not allowed in the house. Actually, got one from someone and
we dropped in a charity bin before we got home. Thankfully, DD doesn't like
bratz either.

Old August 17th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/17/08 12:29 PM, in article ,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:15:30 -0700 (PDT), lewmew
opined:

..

I would like to gather up every Barbie I could and have a big bonfire.
It amazes me that women would still buy these damned things for their
daughters ! * Think anorexia for one.

If you think Barbies are bad, check out Bratz:

http://www.thehandicrafts.net/static...blog/bratz.jpg

MUCH worse - makes Barbie look positively prudish!

Linda

I don't care for those either - who designs these things for little
girls ? Prolly the same people who design much of the slutty looking
clothing in the girls departments.

I expect I sound harsh, or dated, but I really feel quite strongly
about it and always hated barbie, she wasn't welcome in our home and I
wasn't old and outdated then !

I can't figure it out either. I wasn't a fan of Barbie when I was a kid;
just didnąt "get it". If I wanted to dress up, I had dress up clothes that
more or less fit me and plenty of imagination. Dressing up a doll, no
thanks.

NOW - for the moms with young girls, I love these dolls

http://www.onlyheartsclub.com/

Clothing is modest and real. They are "real" girls, with pets and stories
and "jobs". DD has just about out grown them, but unlike the odd Barbie, DD
has felt no need to destroy them.

Cheryl

Old August 17th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Now - I'm going to point you in a different direction. Webkinz are the rage
of the moment. DD loves them. They come in "Little Kinz" and "Big Kinz". DD
loves them and actually will dress them up.

Ah, but then we've got to buy Webkinz to custom-fit them to. We already
own Barbies, and have patterns for them.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 17th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Jangchub wrote:

"Desperate Housewives?" What the hell is that? Never
watched it.

That's too bad. I watched the first season all in a go while I was
recovering from surgery last summer and found it delighfully wicked and
funny at the same time. The "Desperate" has to do with beinge expected
to do it all and still be sane.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 17th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/17/08 2:28 PM, in article , "Karen C
in California" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Now - I'm going to point you in a different direction. Webkinz are the rage
of the moment. DD loves them. They come in "Little Kinz" and "Big Kinz". DD
loves them and actually will dress them up.

Ah, but then we've got to buy Webkinz to custom-fit them to. We already
own Barbies, and have patterns for them.

Only one of each size... $20 investment.

The point of this venture is to make money, not spend it.

Barbie is proven to be enduring, Webkinz are flavor of the month, and by
next year our $20 investment might be worthless junk and no one want to
buy what we've made for next year's sale.

Besides, most of the clientele at this thing are grannies and
great-grannies -- Barbie they will recognize, Webkinz they won't have a
clue.

Old August 17th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

in California" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Excuse Me!!! Why would you think grannies, or great-grannies wouldn't know
about the latest hot toy that their grandkids want? Some of us GOW's
actually get out of the house on occasion and keep up with the trends.

Some of us older folk even play games on one of those new fangled puter
thingies and drive to stores and watch TV and nowadays we actually know how
to read and write and get out of the kitchen.

I do hope you were kidding when you underestimated grannies!!!

Lucille

Old August 17th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Walker Family[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:46:15 -0700, Karen C in California
wrote:

What are Barbie clothes going for these days?

I used to sew a lot and often made duplicate outfits for the dolls to
match ones I made my girls. A local church sold Barbie outfits a few
years ago, and they didn't sell as well as you would think. Some
people said their kids wanted the "real" Barbie clothes and most
others didn't think anything should be more than $3, even some pretty
fancy evening gowns. We ended up donating most of them to charity.

At least the cost outlay is minor if you already have fabric scraps,
trim, small buttons or yarn. I've still got a ton of the clothes and
dolls in my attic waiting for my granddaughter to get a little older.
I've got garage sale dolls I'm refurbishing and plan to add some
clothes to a few of them for my youngest niece. Moni
Old August 18th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Jangchub wrote:

snip

I think is one, another "Kath
and Kim" where thongs are out with those F me backtoos. It just gets
worse and worse.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, but *please* don't dismiss
'Kath and Kim' until you've watched it just once. It's a comedy about a
single Mum and her newly-separated daughter who has returned home to
cadge, being too lazy to work. They're both incredibly dense and stupid
and the whole idea is to lampoon the values being discussed in this
thread. The mother is so caught up with appearances, she's raised her
daughter to be exactly the same. Now, the chicken has come home to roost
and she has to cope! It's extremely Australian humour, so I'd understand
if not everyone found it to their taste. I find it so funny!

Oh and BTW, the whole point about the thong showing at the back is that
Kim is a 'great strapping girl' with a 'muffin top' (flesh spilling over
her waistband) and 'fadoobadas' (flesh wobbling on her upper arms). She
believes she is, in fact, a 'hornbag' (most attractive young woman) with
flawless fashion sense. The actress who plays her, Gina Riley, is *so*
brave! She appears in some of the most garish attire and looks - erm -
dreadful. The show is written by the two women who play in it and most
of the work is done over a kitchen table after they drop their kids at
school.

LOL! And now I'll have to borrow the Ugly Sister's DVD set and watch it
all over again.
Old August 18th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:

I do hope you were kidding when you underestimated grannies!!!

Lucille

I happen to know this particular batch of grannies well enough to know
that most of them don't compute (or if they do, the extent of their
ability is sending an all-text e-mail).

If we tried to tell them Webkinz is the latest fad, those who have never
heard of them would simply think we're feeding them a line to make
sales, and ask "don't you have any Barbie clothes?" because they know
what Barbies are and know that they have bought Barbies for the tykes.

Most will not be accompanied by grandkids who will confirm that they own
Webkinz and want clothes for them, so I'd rather sell the grannies what
they recognize and are comfortable buying than take the risk on making
clothes for Webkinz (which I'd never heard of myself before now; none of
the kids I buy for are into them) and bringing 90% of them back home
while losing out on sure sales of Barbie clothes.

Plus, we have umpty-ump patterns for Barbie, don't have to try to create
our own for Webkinz. I don't know how good she is at making her own
patterns from scratch.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

OT Yoohoo Shona in NZ Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 1 August 1st 05 07:05 AM
Yoohoo! Mary H. in OH Leslie in Missouri Quilting 2 May 30th 04 01:46 PM
MOMMIES!! HELP!!! Allaya Diep Yarn 20 May 29th 04 10:36 PM
Question for all new Mommies Debbi Quilting 85 November 15th 03 04:39 AM