Yoohoo, Mommies!

Old August 17th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Yoohoo, Mommies!

What are Barbie clothes going for these days?

We're trying to put a reasonable price on some for a craft fair. Don't
want to say $10 for a dress if they can buy something similar at ToysRUs
for $3, but don't want to say $3 if ToysRUs is selling them for $15.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 17th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Karen C in California wrote:
What are Barbie clothes going for these days?

We're trying to put a reasonable price on some for a craft fair. Don't
want to say $10 for a dress if they can buy something similar at ToysRUs
for $3, but don't want to say $3 if ToysRUs is selling them for $15.

Bwahahahahahahahaha! I can't help you, Karen, because LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
my DD has outgrown Barbidols. Free at last, I'm free at last! ;-D

You don't say whether the clothes you want to sell are secondhand Mattel
ones or home-made ones. Genuine Mattel clothing is very expensive,
especially if it has accessories like shoes or bags. Good secondhand can
never command the same price, but even having said that, I made quite a
bit of money for school fundraising with Barbidol ballgowns made out of
bridal and formal remnants. It takes hardly any time at all to gather a
skirt and stitch it to a strapless bodice. If you can get hold of good
scraps from a seamstress (satin, silk, brocade etc), you can make really
spiffy ballgowns and little girls just *love* them. I'd charge $7 or $8
for such a thing if I were donating my time for free, $10 or $12 if you
wanted to charge for assembly time. It's worth presenting the clothes
nicely: stitch them loosely onto a bit of pink cardboard and add a tiny
artificial flower or ribbon bow.

Good luck! ;-D

Oh, PS. You can also make a *bundle* of money by picking up secondhand
Barbidols from the Op Shops. You take them home, clean them up, soak
their heads in fabric softener or conditioner for a couple of days and
style the hair. Dress them nicely and you can charge whatever you like
for them!

PPS. Despite my whinging, making Barbidol clothes is enormous fun when
you can get access to nice fabric remnants. A rctn friend sent me a
packet of great patterns about ten years ago and boy did I get some good
use out of them. Now, my friend is using them to make stuff for her DD
and has promised to pass the patterns on when she's finished with them.

PPPS. The most popular thing I ever made for Barbie was a miniature
replica of DD's school uniform. They sold like hotcakes to kids from her
school!
Old August 17th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Trish Brown wrote:

It takes hardly any time at all to gather a
skirt and stitch it to a strapless bodice.

That's why we were thinking of a corner of Barbie stuff to fill out the
table, because she CAN whip up a dress a minute on the machine and I can
knit them up in a jiffy. Much faster than the other craft items, and
because they're smaller, we can spread them out to fill up space.

Old August 17th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

lucretia borgia wrote:
I would like to gather up every Barbie I could and have a big bonfire.
It amazes me that women would still buy these damned things for their
daughters ! Think anorexia for one.

There are some Barbie dolls that aren't available in the shops. NOT for
those of a sensitive disposition!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rp4qu
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old August 17th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:
I would like to gather up every Barbie I could and have a big bonfire.
It amazes me that women would still buy these damned things for their
daughters ! Think anorexia for one.

There are some Barbie dolls that aren't available in the shops. NOT for
those of a sensitive disposition!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rp4qu

And here is the antipodean version:

http://www.feralcheryl.com.au
Old August 17th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

..

I would like to gather up every Barbie I could and have a big bonfire.
It amazes me that women would still buy these damned things for their
daughters ! * Think anorexia for one.

If you think Barbies are bad, check out Bratz:

http://www.thehandicrafts.net/static...blog/bratz.jpg

MUCH worse - makes Barbie look positively prudish!

Linda

Old August 17th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

If you are looking for things to make for a craft fair, I've heard/
seen that some of the really simple outline stuff is in style.
Someone suggested embroidering onesies or little jackets for babies
with things like this:

http://www.urbanthreads.com/designs/...broidery?nav=3

Obviously not all are appropriate but some would - I like "A Peculiar
Profession" (w/o I love my job) and Little Wish Bunny especially, but
there are a ton that would work - a lot of the "Mr." ones, Happy
Bear, . . .

hmm, maybe I should make some and sell them!

Linda

OT Yoohoo Shona in NZ Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 1 August 1st 05 07:05 AM
Yoohoo! Mary H. in OH Leslie in Missouri Quilting 2 May 30th 04 01:46 PM
MOMMIES!! HELP!!! Allaya Diep Yarn 20 May 29th 04 10:36 PM
Question for all new Mommies Debbi Quilting 85 November 15th 03 04:39 AM