Image theft - mosaic and glass crafters take note

Old July 18th 03, 04:06 AM
Clarke Echols

Default Image theft - mosaic and glass crafters take note

Welcome to the Internet. Most foreign governments do not protect American
copyrights, and if you post a picture of your work, plan on it being
stolen by anyone anywhere and turned into a commercial product with no
gain for yourself. The owner of the site which is registered by .tv
Corporation lives in Cairo, Egypt, and is therefore not accessible through
the U.S. court systems.

If you don't want your ideas stolen by others, you can't post to the
internet with any degree of safety at all.

Sorry, but that's the way the ball bounces in the 21st century...

Clarke

Melinda Tennielle wrote:

Forgive the crosspost, please. If you make mosaics or stained glass, and
have a website with images of your work, you may want to check this site
to see if they're stealing your photos:

http://www.egypt.tv/home_creation/

Old July 18th 03, 06:32 AM
Melinda Tennielle

In article ,
Clarke Echols wrote:

If you don't want your ideas stolen by others, you can't post to the
internet with any degree of safety at all.

Quite true. I don't believe I suggested otherwise. But as I said, if you
do catch someone doing this, you have the recourse of switching out the
photo that was appropriated for a warning about the thief's behavior.
And if we as a community keep an eye out for sites like this, we can at
least keep the profit they may make at a minimum.

M.
Old July 18th 03, 12:50 PM
Wendy of NJ

A WHOIS lookup of the domain name yeilds this contact information:

Registrant:
Mohamed Abdel Rahman )
netinvest
53 Lebanon Street, Mohandesin, Giza
Cairo, 0058
EG
+20123134061

It was my understanding that many countries respect the copyrights of
other nations. I don't know the particular case for Egypt.

Usually image pirates will download the images to their own servers.
Linking to your servers is not only image theft, but BANDWIDTH theft as
well, and you are paying for that out of your own bandwidth allowance. I
think you can take this up with not only your ISP, but their ISP as well.

Good luck.

-Wendy of NJ

Melinda Tennielle wrote:
Forgive the crosspost, please. If you make mosaics or stained glass, and
have a website with images of your work, you may want to check this site
to see if they're stealing your photos:

http://www.egypt.tv/home_creation/

I am on a list whose members recently noticed this site, and it seems
most of the images are stolen - directly linked from other people's
websites. In fact, you can see that some of the artists have already
replaced the stolen images with warnings about the theft:

http://www.egypt.tv/home_creation/default.asp?LID=77
(near the bottom)

http://www.egypt.tv/home_creation/default.asp?LID=76
(about halfway down).

No one has been able to get in touch with this person, so if you do find
your image has been stolen, you may want to move or rename it, or put a
warning in its place.

M.

Old July 18th 03, 12:53 PM
Wendy of NJ

Sorry, this is the owner of the ISP where this (likely free) website
resides. Complaining directly to him/them could get the site shut down.

Old July 18th 03, 03:44 PM
Charlie Spitzer

do a right click on the image, and look at the properties. you can see the
real path of the image. shoot an email to all the involved parties.

Old July 18th 03, 09:37 PM
stitchlady

In needlework the same sort of things goes on. There is a useful yahoogroup
you might want to subscribe to learn more about fighting copyright theft:

Stitch Lady

"Melinda Tennielle" wrote in message
[...]

---
This email has been certified to be free from viruses.

Old July 19th 03, 12:41 AM
Pat Kight

Michele Blank wrote:
how does one access another's site to be able to make the changes? I would
think that to be difficult without passwords, etc.???

In this case, the site is "stealing" the photos by linking directly to
the artists' own Web sites or galleries, and then passing the work off
as the thieves' own. So you don't need to change a thing about the
thieve's site; just replace your own graphic file with a file of the
same name containing an anti-theft message.

--
Pat Kight

Old July 19th 03, 01:31 AM
stitchlady

On my own website, I do something similar. To prevent possible piracy, I
rename images and edit my website to reflect the link.

And to stop indexing into Google search engine, if you can put in a
robot.txt file up for your website, put in the following two lines. It will
stop the images being indexed and thus makes it harder for bandwidth pirates
to find your images:

Disallow: /

--
Stitch Lady

Old July 22nd 03, 09:43 PM
Kevin Doney

The internet is a hierarchy of servers. Sometimes the server servicing
another countries server is in the US and can be persuaded to protest to the
offending server. That server admin will get in touch with the next one down
the line until the server actually hosting the offending web site drops the
customer. Yahoo would be a good place to start since the admin of the
offending site is Mohamed Abdel Rahman )