Ways to put a colored, rounded edge on glass?

Old July 16th 03, 10:35 PM
David Blood-Deschamps

Default Ways to put a colored, rounded edge on glass?

Hi,

I'm working on flat stained glass ornaments that have exposed glass
edges. One way to finish these edges is to put on copper foil and
solder, but I'm looking for other ways to get a nice-looking finished
edge. Is there any kind of good, thick paint or enamel that will cover
the edge and dry to a nice even, rounded, shiny finish? Or, what about
some kind of clay product?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Blood-Deschamps

Old July 17th 03, 12:08 AM
Mike Firth

Before assembly of the pieces, you could grind and polish the pieces to a
round edge.
Or before cutting the pieces, you could fuse the glass, producing a
rounded edge all round from which to cut.
Don't know of any easy colored edge, but remember, the solder is what is
keeping the glass in place, the copper is just a form on which to put the
solder. If you take away the copper you got to think of serious glue.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old July 17th 03, 02:25 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:08:01 -0500, "Mike Firth"
wrote:

Before assembly of the pieces, you could grind and polish the pieces to a
round edge.
Or before cutting the pieces, you could fuse the glass, producing a
rounded edge all round from which to cut.

Have you thought about fingernail polish? I've used
various colors to put an interesting finish on an edge
before. Looks very nice.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Old July 17th 03, 04:12 PM
Charlie Spitzer

put the unfoiled pieces in a kiln. it'll do that with about a 5 minute hold
at around 1300F. you then have to grind off the other edges, since this will
round off all edges. note that if it's a normal 1/8" piece of glass, it's
going to shrink, so you should actually make it be somewhat oversized, and
cut it after it comes out of the kiln.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old July 17th 03, 08:16 PM
Charlie Spitzer

i'd be surprised if the place he bought the glass didn't have one, or know
where to find one in his area.

om...

Old July 21st 03, 07:21 PM
Charlie Spitzer

it's ground, not polished.

there's only two ways to get a shiny edge. heat work it in a kiln or polish
it by hand. that would involve various grits
(100-220-400-600-800-cork-rouge-cerium), and is a lot of work.

"Jerry Maske" wrote in message
This goes in a different direction than what you suggested, but it's
something I've used quite often in my kiln work. It's called a "radius
bit" for your grinder. Basically it's a grinder head with a slot in it
that will put a rounded edge on your glass. The edges of the glass is
still there, but now it's polished and I think it looks pretty neat.

Jerry

David Blood-Deschamps wrote:

Hi,

I'm working on flat stained glass ornaments that have exposed glass
edges. One way to finish these edges is to put on copper foil and
solder, but I'm looking for other ways to get a nice-looking finished
edge. Is there any kind of good, thick paint or enamel that will cover
the edge and dry to a nice even, rounded, shiny finish? Or, what about
some kind of clay product?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Blood-Deschamps

--
? Angel Antics Glass Crafters ?
Fine Art Glass, Kaleidoscopes and

Old July 31st 03, 07:22 PM
John Herrmann

David Blood-Deschamps wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm working on flat stained glass ornaments that have exposed glass
edges. One way to finish these edges is to put on copper foil and
solder, but I'm looking for other ways to get a nice-looking finished
edge. Is there any kind of good, thick paint or enamel that will cover
the edge and dry to a nice even, rounded, shiny finish? Or, what about
some kind of clay product?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Blood-Deschamps

How about the plastic coating that is put on electrical tools?? I
think its called "Dip" and I think it comes in red, green and maybe
orange. All right it's not the best colors but it should protect
little fingers from being cut...

John