need machine to take to quilt class

Old March 16th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default need machine to take to quilt class

Hi, i have signed up for a *dear jane* class at my local quilt shop. it will
meet once a month for the next 22 months. i have a babylock ellure and it is
heavy for me to be carrying around. i am thinking about buying a jem gold
machine to take to class since it is so lightweight. does anyone have this
machine and can tell if it would be a good machine for the class? or does
anyone have a recommendation as to what machine would be good to take to
class?

thanks so much,

Patricia Scott

Sunny-the beautiful and wonderful collie
Jenna-the lovely brindle colored greythound
Nora-The CAT

Old March 16th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"PatScott" wrote in message
. ..
Hi, i have signed up for a *dear jane* class at my local quilt shop. it
will meet once a month for the next 22 months. i have a babylock ellure
and it is heavy for me to be carrying around. i am thinking about buying a
jem gold machine to take to class since it is so lightweight. does anyone
have this machine and can tell if it would be a good machine for the
class? or does anyone have a recommendation as to what machine would be
good to take to class?

thanks so much,

Patricia Scott

Sunny-the beautiful and wonderful collie
Jenna-the lovely brindle colored greythound
Nora-The CAT

I have a jem gold to take to classes. I really like it, but I have a
Janome embroidery machine, so all feet are changeable, including 1/4 inch
and quilting foot, so I never investigated any other light machine when I
decided I want a portable. Kay

Old March 16th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I am not familiar with the machine you mentioned.

Is there a SM service man/centre in your area? Check with
them for a good second hand machine. It will probably come
with a warranty, and an small older portable machine with
basic stitches is probably going to serve you better in the
long run. I had a 30yo baby Elna that was a treasure. I
passed it on when classes started coming to me instead of me
going to them LOL

Just my suggestion

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"PatScott" wrote in message
. ..
: Hi, i have signed up for a *dear jane* class at my local
quilt shop. it will
: meet once a month for the next 22 months. i have a
babylock ellure and it is
: heavy for me to be carrying around. i am thinking about
buying a jem gold
: machine to take to class since it is so lightweight. does
anyone have this
: machine and can tell if it would be a good machine for the
class? or does
: anyone have a recommendation as to what machine would be
good to take to
: class?
:
: thanks so much,
:
: Patricia Scott
:

Old March 16th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi, Patricia!
I hand pieced my Dear Jane. With all the small pieces it was fairly
easy to hand piece. But there are lots of people that machine piece and
paper piece a lot of the complex blocks. G
I know at least a couple of people who have the Jems, and they like them
fine for piecing and small, lightweight stuff.

Pati, in Phx

Old March 16th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I had the same problem a little while ago - needed one I could carry
more easily to workshops and demos. So I went along to get a Jem.
However, the chap in the sewing machine shop pointed out that , if I
ever wanted to do quilting on it, the harp was extremely small. For
only a little bit more money (honestly) I got a full size (I think the
Jem is about three-quarters), not very complicated Janome, to go with my
big one.
On the other hand, the Jem is a great little machine. (There is a
'platinum' one I think as well?) And, if you think you will only ever
need it for piecing, you will be getting a tried and trusted small
machine.
..
In message , PatScott
writes
Hi, i have signed up for a *dear jane* class at my local quilt shop. it will
meet once a month for the next 22 months. i have a babylock ellure and it is
heavy for me to be carrying around. i am thinking about buying a jem gold
machine to take to class since it is so lightweight. does anyone have this
machine and can tell if it would be a good machine for the class? or does
anyone have a recommendation as to what machine would be good to take to
class?

thanks so much,

Patricia Scott

Sunny-the beautiful and wonderful collie
Jenna-the lovely brindle colored greythound
Nora-The CAT

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 16th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I agree that a light machine is great for classes. I used to lug my
Babylock QC but now, unless I need the special stitches, I take my
Featherweight. I don't know about the jem gold specifically but
lightweight is nice at the end of class when you are tired and just want
to get home ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

Old March 16th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi, Patricia, I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the same thing. I LOVE
my machine and I don't know that I will be as happy sewing on anything else,
but it is so heavy I dread the thought of lugging it anywhere. Now if I
could just find one with the wonderful light it has and the adjustable
stitches, AND weighs 5 pounds, I'd be all set.

Cindy

. ..

Old March 17th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wow, I think I HAD one of those at one time or nother. Yeah, I thought 5
pounds might be pushing it. Tell me, does the 301 have a pretty stitch? I
am nuts over a good looking straight stitch.

Cindy

"Taria" wrote in message
5 lbs. might be asking for a lot but you would think some of the
sewing machine companies would notice we are wanting a lightweight
machine to carry to classes. I have a couple of FW's but prefer
taking a Singer 301 to classes myself. It is really lightweight,
they are available for very little cost and run like crazy.
It has a little handle so you don't need the weight of a case.
No zig zag though.
Here's what they look like:
http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/tlw/ta...s/museum1.html
Taria

teleflora wrote:

Hi, Patricia, I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the same thing. I
LOVE my machine and I don't know that I will be as happy sewing on
anything else, but it is so heavy I dread the thought of lugging it
anywhere. Now if I could just find one with the wonderful light it has
and the adjustable stitches, AND weighs 5 pounds, I'd be all set.

Cindy

. ..

Old March 17th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yep, the machine is well made and performs like a Featherweight
on a little dose of steroids. Feed dogs drop too. It is a nice
machine to piece on.
Taria

teleflora wrote:

Hi, Patricia, I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the same thing. I
LOVE my machine and I don't know that I will be as happy sewing on
anything else, but it is so heavy I dread the thought of lugging it
anywhere. Now if I could just find one with the wonderful light it has
and the adjustable stitches, AND weighs 5 pounds, I'd be all set.

Cindy

om...

Old March 17th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My mom did exactly that. She really loves her Jem Gold for taking to
classes and for sewing on when her nice machine is in for its tune up.
It is smaller, but for class who cares? Unless, it's a machine quilting
a big project class. There is also a Platinum model with is
computerized - dunno if that matters to you.

I have a 301 - that machine might weight 5 lbs on a planet with less
gravity, but not here. It's an all metal machine!

marcella

In article ,
"PatScott" wrote:

Hi, i have signed up for a *dear jane* class at my local quilt shop. it will
meet once a month for the next 22 months. i have a babylock ellure and it is
heavy for me to be carrying around. i am thinking about buying a jem gold
machine to take to class since it is so lightweight. does anyone have this
machine and can tell if it would be a good machine for the class? or does
anyone have a recommendation as to what machine would be good to take to
class?

thanks so much,

Patricia Scott

Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 2 January 24th 05 06:57 PM
FAQs for June Diana Curtis Quilting 14 June 5th 04 10:53 AM
FAQ for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 5 March 1st 04 05:45 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
My 1st quilt class Kathy in CA Quilting 4 September 16th 03 10:30 PM