The Snow Quilt

Old July 7th 04, 07:15 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default The Snow Quilt

This is the quilt I'm talking about:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...izetopisup.jpg

I said in the earlier thread that I'd answer questions. There was so
much good feedback that it will take me a while to get to them all so
I'm taking them to separate threads.

The quilt is 30" x 36". I haven't written an artist's statement blurb
about any of the quilts, but if I had, this one would explain how I grew
up in Miami, never saw snow until I was 16, never really played in snow
or shoveled it until I was 38 and had all these odd misconceptions about
the stuff. The quilt is my previous conceptions about snow. Kids in
Miami know that snow is cold and made of water, but we don't experience
it. I formed my opinions from watching Lucy and Linus building snow
forts. Snow was more malleable than packable, more like clay than ice.
I probably thought it was related to oobleck. Snow was the stuff of
imagination. It had shapes and designs in it, flecks of color, shadows.
All the poetry said it blanketed the landscape. When I got up here to
the land of snow, I'd look out the window and think the trees had Dr.
Seuss hats on them. Everything had billowed out to be more of itself.
That's what I was trying to do with this quilt, make a drawing of what I
imagined snow to be like, not what it really is.

As much as I like it, I don't think I'd want to see it on my wall day
after day. This is my second snow quilt, and I might make a third. I
think it needs a little more contrast, not much, maybe some creams and
lightest greys to go with the white on whites. It is unbelievably hard
to find those light-light but not quite white fabrics.

I worked up a way of rating the quilts with a higher number for everyone
who said it was their favorite and a negative if someone said they
didn't like it. When tallied, the snow quilt came out with the highest
score.

--Lia

Old July 7th 04, 07:50 PM
Monique Reed

Thanks for sharing. This one was my favorite too. All those
triangles must be snowman noses, right?

Monique in TX

Julia Altshuler wrote:

This is the quilt I'm talking about:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...izetopisup.jpg

I said in the earlier thread that I'd answer questions. There was so
much good feedback that it will take me a while to get to them all so
I'm taking them to separate threads.

The quilt is 30" x 36". I haven't written an artist's statement blurb
about any of the quilts, but if I had, this one would explain how I grew
up in Miami, never saw snow until I was 16, never really played in snow
or shoveled it until I was 38 and had all these odd misconceptions about
the stuff. snip

Old July 7th 04, 10:14 PM
Allison

I think I can appreciate the quilt more now that I know how you were
inspired to make it. Maybe that should be the purpose of an artist's
statement. If so, you did a good job for this quilt.

Allison

Old July 8th 04, 02:36 AM
BarbQuilts

Very interesting reason "why". It's so hard for me to imagine growing up
w/o snow. We had so much fun in it when we were kids. As an adult the
shoveling did get to be a pain. Now I miss it living in Georgia, although
we get a teeny bit now and then and everything shuts down. It's very funny
to someone from the north originally.

--
BarbQuilts
Take the Cat out to reply