Quilt Machine????

Old February 25th 04, 08:43 PM
kathy's newsgroup

Default Quilt Machine????

Do any of you fine folks know anything about the WHITE quilting
machine model 1740? I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to get
some input from someone who has actually used it.. Thanks in advance
Kathy

Old February 26th 04, 05:48 AM
Suequiltmail

Do any of you fine folks know anything about the WHITE quilting
machine model 1740? I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to get
some input from someone who has actually used it.. Thanks in advance
Kathy

I have that machine. Got it for travel/classes. Like the stitches. Keep in
mind it isn't heavy-duty, so very many layers makes it a little testy. The
heaviest I've stitched through was potholders with poly/metalic batting. Did
okay through that.

Also liked the foot selection, including a walking foot. Only comes with two
bobbins, I believe, so you have to get more immediately (I like to keep several
filled so I don't have to stop mid-project).

Had a little problem with lint getting oily and dropping down onto my work
while doing massive amount of satin stitching at one time (will watch for this
in future and keep it cleaner as I go).

It's very light, and the case becomes a good size bed area, although being
clumsy (sp?) I have a hard time figuring out how to put it back into the case
properly. Because it's so small it fits into my wheeled duffle and there is
room for extra fabric. Got the duffle real cheap at a discount store and put
two pieces of foam around the machine just in case.

It comes with a video, which I guess I should probably watch one of these days
before I use it again, tee hee.

Got mine super cheap at Joanne's when they first came out, notice they are
about $40-50 more now than they were in the introductory special, so that makes
me very happy.

Try to test drive it first and compare it to a Janome Gem, or another expensive
portable, to see which you like better.

SueB

Old February 26th 04, 06:30 AM
Cina

Kathy wrote:

Do any of you fine folks know anything about the WHITE quilting
machine model 1740? I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to get
some input from someone who has actually used it.. Thanks in advance

When I was machine shopping, I looked at these. I never got to test
one, though. To me, they didn't seem sturdy enough for what I wanted.
If you're a beginner looking for something to get your feet wet before
you lay out the serious bucks for a bells-n-whistles machine, or you
want something light to take to classes, it might be a good buy for
you. In general, White is a pretty good company (and is a division of
Husqvarna Viking, maker of splendid drool-worthy machines).

I recently bought a White 2999. I wish this one came with a walking
foot like the 1740, but I'll get around to buying one eventually. And
IIRC, the 1740 doesn't have a blanket stitch, which was on my "must
have" list.

Cina
Old February 26th 04, 01:05 PM
Roberta

In news:3O7%b.122165$uV3.624139@attbi_s51,
kathy's newsgroup typed:
Do any of you fine folks know anything about the WHITE quilting
machine model 1740? I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to
get some input from someone who has actually used it.. Thanks in
advance Kathy

I have one. It works fairly well.

There are 2 things about it I do not like

1.) The space to the right of the needle is very small - so machine
quilting is a real challenge

2.) I have been having trouble with fabric getting eaten in the feed dogs -
this could just be operator error - I have no formal sewing machine
training...

When I start a strip I start a little in and back stitch - if I am not
careful, the piece doesn't get pushed forward and starts to bunch up under
the foot....

Roberta (in MD)

Old February 26th 04, 04:51 PM
Pati Cook

Roberta, try using a "leader" patch. A scrap of fabric that you just sew
through then onto the "good" fabric. You can use this at beginning and ending
of a chain of piecing to save thread and such. Also helps keep the machine
from "grabbing" the fabric and thread. Also try not to backstitch past the
edge of the fabric.

Pati, in Phx.

Old February 26th 04, 06:33 PM
Roberta

Thank you - I will try that At least that way, it won't be the quilt
block getting squished in the feed dogs :/

Roberta

In ,
Pati Cook typed:

Old February 27th 04, 10:54 AM
Beverly K. Pope

I purchased a White 2039 before they had the quilting machine. I had
similar problems, but I assumed it was due to my being new at all of this.
I tried both of Pati's suggestions without any success.

I read somewhere that such problems could be mitigated with the use of a
straight stitch needle plate, but one was not available for that machine.
It was at that point that I purchased my Janome. After I had purchased my
new machine, I read somewhere else (it could have even been here in RCTQ)
that one could simulate a straight stitch needle plate by placing tape over
the zig-zag hole. The needle will pierce the tape and form a small hole,
that should be equivalent to the hole in a straight stitch needle plate .
There are two caveats:
1) You do have to be very careful to not cover up the feed dogs!
2) You must remove the tape after each sewing session, or it could damage
the surface of your machine.
I have never tried this (I don't have that problem with the Janome), but if
neither of Pati's suggestions don't work for you, then here is another thing
that you could try.
--
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. bkpope at wt dot net