Building a kiln controller

Old February 9th 05, 08:54 PM
liam potts

Default Building a kiln controller

I am looking to build a controller for my kiln its 240 30 amp
it has 4 240 6kw elements in it. I was thinking of using the Omega CN1501
Series http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=CN1501. I am a little confused
on how many relays an output can control I assume its one for one but I am
not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Liam Potts

Old February 10th 05, 12:08 AM
Javahut

"liam potts" wqdwqe@kjka wrote in message
news

I am looking to build a controller for my kiln its 240 30 amp
it has 4 240 6kw elements in it. I was thinking of using the Omega CN1501
Series http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=CN1501. I am a little

confused
on how many relays an output can control I assume its one for one but I am
not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Liam Potts

If you want all elements to operate, "as one", all off or all on, then what
I have in mine is one relay per element, but all the relays run on one
controller.

Bet Jack chimes in here any minute, and I certainly would follow his
recommendations, he has done it successfully.

Old February 10th 05, 11:35 AM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:54:42 -0800, "liam potts" wqdwqe@kjka wrote:

I use a Perfect Fire which operate 3 relays with two contacts each ,
so it can switch 6 times 25 Amp
Bought this in New Zealand , controller , probe and relay end wiring
Works great

Old February 10th 05, 03:29 PM
Mike Firth

I question whether this is appropriate - it seems to offer features you
don't need and seems inadequate in what you do need.
The specification .pdf file says
Control Output: 5 Vdc drive @ 50 mA max (internal 5 Vdc source)

This means that you will have to use 5 volt driven relays. The size that
will carry your amperage may pull enough milliamps that if you want to
double up relays to get capacity that you will exceed the 50ma. You may
have to buy a small 5VDC relay from Radio Shack (fortunately the 5 v supply
is in the controller) just to drive the contactors or bigger relays. The
contactors Omega sells seem to have 120 or 240 volt coils, so an
intermediate relay would be require.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old February 10th 05, 03:39 PM
Boner the Cat

that looks like it would do anything a fuser needs.

I am working on a computer based unit, I have it running now in, HOLD ON,
dos.

yes folks a dos batch file (showing my age.) I have a board that works off
the parallel port that has 12 relays.

I have a USB unit that will ultimately run up to five kilns at once with 2
type thermocouples in each and up to 196 relays.

Old February 10th 05, 04:58 PM
Boner the Cat

not so, lots of relays would run off of that voltage. I found a relay that
runs off the voltage in a parallel port!!!

but an intermediate relay is no big deal either

Old February 10th 05, 05:27 PM
liam potts

Ya I tried contacting them was a route I was considering still have not
gotten an e-mail

And it looks like if I can use the omega it will be cheaper

Old February 10th 05, 05:29 PM
liam potts

If you want all elements to operate, "as one", all off or all on, then

what
I have in mine is one relay per element, but all the relays run on one
controller.

Considering each element is 240 6kw so lets see 6000/240=25x4= 100 amps I
do not want to put all the elements on at the same time. Its only a 30 amp
breaker

Old February 10th 05, 05:33 PM
liam potts

good point

what would you recommend? Basically all I want is a simple interface with
mechanical relays.
as long as it can hold one multi segment ramp program I would be happy.

Old February 10th 05, 06:34 PM
David Billington

5vdc @ 50ma will drive a relay but may be intended to drive a solid
state relay which it would do easily. One would want to check that the
drive is suitable for driving an inductive load like a relay also, it
needs to be able to take the back EMF when the relay is de-energised or
may be damaged. You could of course add your own diode across the relay
to absorb the back EMF.