Yet another happy dance and question

Old February 18th 05, 03:40 PM
anne

Default Yet another happy dance and question

Since I had stupidly forgotten to get two different sizes of pearl (or is that
perle?) cotton when I placed my first order with Nordic Needle and wanting some
of the gadgets that I saw in the printed catalog that came with the order, I
just had to place another one ;-) I overcame my frugality and opted for a rush
order which came in 3 days!!! I immediately mounted a piece using the
suspenders/garters/clips on q-snaps. I had a bit of trouble replacing the 2
pronged head with the four pronged one on the cording gadget but I eventually
got it to work another ;-) I practised a bit and now have quite a few short
cords made with ribbon, yarn, and floss.

How do y'all keep the cords from unraveling when removed from the gadget? I
tried knotting but that seems to waste too much of the newly created cord.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old February 18th 05, 05:41 PM
Kim McAnnally

I always just made extra cord and knotted it, but maybe you could try
Fray-check?
Kim
--
Less than 3 hours left!
Zweigart Floba Bag for just $24! Aida for $5 per yard!

ews.com...

Old February 18th 05, 06:16 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

anne wrote:
How do y'all keep the [twisted] cords from unraveling when removed
from the gadget? I tried knotting but that seems to waste too much of
the newly created cord.

What *I* can't figure out how to do is keep them tightly wound, even
*after* knotting. I don't mind wasting some cord, in fact always make
more than I need. I've seen some people's cords and they are neat as
pins. Mine always untwists in spots. Maybe I'm not winding tight
enough to being with? Boy, I really twist and pull hard while doing it.
I always twist and it begins to twist up along the length, even though
I'm pulling hard on it.
Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old February 18th 05, 10:08 PM
Kim McAnnally

You do twist it enough so that it will twist back on itself, right? You
start out with about 4 times the length you want to end up with, twist until
it starts to double, then let it double, then knot it.
Kim
--
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/Clearance.htm

Old February 18th 05, 10:49 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Kim McAnnally wrote:
You do twist it enough so that it will twist back on itself, right? You
start out with about 4 times the length you want to end up with, twist until
it starts to double, then let it double, then knot it.

Yep. I even do about 5X what you need. I can't figure out what my
problem is. I knot quickly, I wind until it's so tight you can't wind
anymore. :-) I wind mine by hand. Maybe it has to do with the amount
of "pull" as you wind? Maintaining a tight "pressure"??

I've made lots of twisted cord and only once did I get a result I was
proud of. :-) Since most of what I do I sew down to an object, so I
can cheat and keep the winds stable. But that won't work if the cord is
used for hanging.
Dianne

Old February 19th 05, 03:07 AM
anne

Kim McAnnally said
I always just made extra cord and knotted it, but maybe you could try
Fray-check?

For the he** of it, I've been practising with lengths of cheap ribbon that are
too long to be held. Guess what I've been using to anchor the ribbon to a
surface?

DUCT TAPE!!!

Little birdie said why not wrap the ends with tape too -- works great!!!
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old February 19th 05, 04:18 AM
bungadora

I stitch Nymo through the cord end, then wrap the cord tightly, tie it
a couple of times and clip the excess.

If I'm doing a second color I keep the ends clamped or secure the ends
with tape and wrap the cord around a gift wrap tube until the second
cord is ready.
Dora

Old February 19th 05, 04:32 AM
bungadora

I go back along the cord and redistribute the twist of the cord with my
hands, so that the tension is evenly distributed. I went to look at my
bedroom curtain tiebacks to see if the cord on that was loosening,
because they are free hanging. They were a bit loose along the end, but
I was able to tighten them up again with just a few twists.

Dora