Chameleon Designs

Old February 14th 04, 11:45 AM
Thomas Jay

Default Chameleon Designs

I just found a new needlepoint designer our of Boston................
Chameleon Designs. There web site is
www.chameleonneedlepointdesigns.com.
Old February 15th 04, 01:07 PM
CrossStitchGal

They may be good designers....how can you tell? Their website needs major
work!
Maybe they will be able to get retailers in Minnesota when they learn to spell
it ("Minnisotta"?) LOL!

--
Happy Stitching!
Kathy :-)
Old February 15th 04, 01:27 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

(CrossStitchGal)

They may be good designers....how can you tell? Their website needs major
work!
Maybe they will be able to get retailers in Minnesota when they learn to
spell
it ("Minnisotta"?) LOL!

My thoughts, too. Looks like a bunch of ESL people wrote the stuff and had
their best speaker proof it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, they
should just know it's just not quite right. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old February 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Jenn Ridley

82frog (CrossStitchGal) wrote:
(Thomas Jay) wrote:
I just found a new needlepoint designer our of Boston................
Chameleon Designs. There web site is
www.chameleonneedlepointdesigns.com.

They may be good designers....how can you tell? Their website needs major
work!
Maybe they will be able to get retailers in Minnesota when they learn to spell
it ("Minnisotta"?) LOL!

I took one look. ICK! Bad grammar, bad spelling. Some of the worst
web design I've seen in years!!! Badly sized fixed frames within
fixed frames, fixed size tables inside fixed frames that are the wrong
size, main links that don't work. I won't be back....

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Stretch, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space, Turnberry Ridge
Old February 15th 04, 11:10 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I had to find out what this was about.
Chameleon is a "group" of designers (a consortium) and they lack html
software or knowledge. So, they are using Mambo Open Source, which
probably also has its learning curve and they aren't there, yet. I took
a look at the Mambo Open Source site and although they describe: "just
type in the words, drop in a picture and you're all set to go" . . .
well, that's dreaming big. g Even a simple word processing software
takes more effort than that. Anyway, that's why the "frames" because
Mambo uses a frame set up. I rue the day somebody invented that. g
Although some people use it well, it's confusing and often not well
designed.

Some of the designs were lovely (Elizabeth Mumford). I didn't look at
all of them. As a group, they are trying to "get known" . . . not an
easy thing to do. The site is *very* new, and I know from experience
that, even though you proofread a hundred times, there's so much to
think about when setting up sites that things get missed. Different
software and versions of same read things differently, monitors may have
too low or high a setting . . . lots goes into this. A simple br in
the wrong spot can skew an entire page.

From what I can tell, they are not selling direct, but have a list of
retailers who carry their hand-painted canvases.

It will take them awhile to get the hang of this. I remember my first
pages . . . all hand coded (no software to do it) . . . and not
everything was as it should be for awhile. I'm sure you're likely to
STILL find problems after all these years.
Dianne