supposing you had a bigger budget...

Old November 19th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Default supposing you had a bigger budget...

Excuse me??????????????I have 2 Horns, both centered on the needle. All the
ones I looked at were.
Gen

"Pati C." wrote in message
I like the ideas of many of the Horn cabinets/tables. But won't buy one
because they are set up so that you are centered on the machine, but not
centered on the needle.

I also don't want to pay for the "lift" for the machine since I don't put
mine down. G

Pati, in Phx

Taria wrote:
If I had 2K drop in my lap that needed to be spent I would go for one of
these:
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/horn-ml2000.php
Not a machine but what a wonderful splurge.
FOr a pricey machine I am holding out until Bernina has a larger
harp machine. I am not holding my breath though.
TAria

Anne Rogers wrote:
So, definitely getting a new sewing machine soon, looks like I had
sufficient to get something like a Janome 6600, BabyLock Quest, or
Viking Sapphire (not the top one with the thread snipper), along with
needed accessories.

We had an unexpected windfall and though I'm not planning to add it to
the sewing machine fund, it did make me wonder what there is out there.
I'm thinking in the $2000-$3000 range. One of our local sewing machine
stores seems to consistently have a "sale" on a frame that will go up to
king size and either Pfaff or Viking straight stitch only semi
industrial machine.

I have no intention of getting a frame just now, I think we could fit it
in our house, but it would require extensive rearrangement of furniture
and stuff and it would take ages, besides, I couldn't fund that and a
new normal usage machine and from what I've heard, though the machine is
removeable and can be used for piecing, it's heavy and awkward.

I've no interest in machine embroidery, so excluding those, what are the
"gems", or do they even exist, looks like the top Brother machines might
fall into that range, but I know nothing about them, they don't appear
to have any major features that merit the price - either that or they
are not doing their advertising very well! With a Pfaff of Viking there
is the add on of the fabric mover thingy, the store is quoting 499 at
the moment, or 799 for it and quilters cruise control, which if bought
to use with frame is 599. I'm sure someone here has said they disliked
the fabric mover and no one has said anything positive, but maybe the
ability to add in a stitch regulator would change that, but if you're
adding on 799, the wait and get a frame side of the case would have a
lot in it's favour.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Anne

Old November 19th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Maureen, that is a very good question. When I moved from Bernina 1230 to
Bernina 155, at a glance the feet looked the same but mercy, no, they are
not. I hardly know what I'm talking about but here goes - the shank length
is the same but the 'bore' is different (meaning only how big the hole is
wide and long, maybe). A dirty, dirty trick, methinks but one of my 155s
came with enough feet to shod a small country's infantry and it's been no
problem. Keep asking that question until you know for sure. Polly

"simpleseven" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 8:08 am, Maureen Wozniak wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:19:28 -0600, Pati C. wrote
(in article ):

If I were going to invest in a new, general purpose sewing machine it
would probably be the Sapphire. But I haven't really looked at the
Janome. Don't know who makes the BabyLock Quest for BabyLock. But I
have
owned a Brother machine and would have to be really convinced to buy
another. (Long story and about 5 years of fighting that machine. sigh.)

Does any one know (just in case GASP!, I have to invest in a new machine)
if
the gazillion feet I have for my Lily would fit the Sapphire?

Maureen

Maureen,
I have the Sapphire and was able to purchase second hand feet for it.
The manual references a number 7 for the Sapphire, concerning the
needles. Does that make any sense? I haven't had my Sapphire long
and am still learning how to read the manual.
Launie, in Oregon

Old November 19th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Taria:
You do not need to win the lotto, girlfriend! Just keep
your eyes and ears open for a second hand cabinet. I
found mine by responding to an ad in the guild
newsletter. It was fairly new, and is quite nice.
Having the flat bed at home has spoiled me for those
times when I take a SM on the road and must set it up
on a table.

PAT in VA/USA

Taria wrote:

I thought about that Pat. The machine I am mostly using now has
a flat bed and drop in bobbin so it is ok just flush, but my Bernina
would work handy with the lift. Using the flat bed or free arm would
make a difference too.
I just can't afford fancy tables now and am reasonably happy with the
main one I use. If I won the lotto though, I'd gladly take the lift
now that you have convinced me I need it. : )
Taria

Old November 19th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:19:38 -0600, simpleseven wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Actually it does. I think that means that the majority of my snap on feet
would work. I think it's those expensive walking feet etc. that would need
to be replaced.

I'm probably just dreaming any way. Don't really want to replace Lily and a
lot will depend on how easy it is to get her sewing back to normal (Just wish
I knew what I did to her.)

Maureen

Old November 19th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
simpleseven

On Nov 18, 10:19 am, simpleseven wrote:
[...]

Launie, in Oregon- Hide quoted text -

Ummmm, I just read what I wrote..I'm such an idiot! What I meant to
write was Concerning the feet, not the needles! Before I purchased
the second hand feet I looked in the manual to make sure each one was
compatible with my machine. The seller gave me the numbers of the
feet and I checked in the manual to see if that foot would work. Hope
this makes better since.
Launie, in Oregon
Old November 19th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I 'took my feet' in with me when I was looking for a new machine...different
brand but it was so worth trying
Shop owner knew where I was coming from. Told her I wanted the SAME FEET for
the new machine. She gave me a discount as I was buying them all at the same
time I bought the machine, so it was worth taking them in

HTH
Butterfly

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
[...]

Help in making block bigger She in PA Quilting 3 September 7th 05 08:12 PM
Budget serger jajmd Sewing 9 August 2nd 05 09:06 AM
laser welders: quality and budget? himog Jewelry 0 June 19th 05 05:41 PM
Bigger than size 8 beads? ally Beads 6 September 8th 03 06:08 AM
AD: Bigger Better Scumbuster at PCC Auctions Tonja L. Polymer Clay 0 July 3rd 03 07:05 PM