supposing you had a bigger budget...

Old November 17th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default supposing you had a bigger budget...

So, definitely getting a new sewing machine soon, looks like I had
sufficient to get something like a Janome 6600, BabyLock Quest, or
Viking Sapphire (not the top one with the thread snipper), along with
needed accessories.

We had an unexpected windfall and though I'm not planning to add it to
the sewing machine fund, it did make me wonder what there is out there.
I'm thinking in the $2000-$3000 range. One of our local sewing machine
stores seems to consistently have a "sale" on a frame that will go up to
king size and either Pfaff or Viking straight stitch only semi
industrial machine.

I have no intention of getting a frame just now, I think we could fit it
in our house, but it would require extensive rearrangement of furniture
and stuff and it would take ages, besides, I couldn't fund that and a
new normal usage machine and from what I've heard, though the machine is
removeable and can be used for piecing, it's heavy and awkward.

I've no interest in machine embroidery, so excluding those, what are the
"gems", or do they even exist, looks like the top Brother machines might
fall into that range, but I know nothing about them, they don't appear
to have any major features that merit the price - either that or they
are not doing their advertising very well! With a Pfaff of Viking there
is the add on of the fabric mover thingy, the store is quoting 499 at
the moment, or 799 for it and quilters cruise control, which if bought
to use with frame is 599. I'm sure someone here has said they disliked
the fabric mover and no one has said anything positive, but maybe the
ability to add in a stitch regulator would change that, but if you're
adding on 799, the wait and get a frame side of the case would have a
lot in it's favour.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Anne
Old November 17th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

If I had 2K drop in my lap that needed to be spent I would go for one of
these:
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/horn-ml2000.php
Not a machine but what a wonderful splurge.
FOr a pricey machine I am holding out until Bernina has a larger
harp machine. I am not holding my breath though.
TAria

Old November 17th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

hmmmm.... what if you are cutting *and* sewing- back and forth? Do you have
to keep popping the table up and down? Maybe I missed something here.....

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in Mo.

Old November 17th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Taria wrote:
If I had 2K drop in my lap that needed to be spent I would go for one of
these:
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/horn-ml2000.php
Not a machine but what a wonderful splurge.

any idea at all how much such a thing would cost? I don't feel right now
that I need a table, I have an old kitchen table which I use. I'm
planning to get an extension table, or the BabyLock Quest comes with
one. I know a few of you say the set in is a lot better, but I don't
think I can justify the cost, and I know John or Leslie will jump in
with a do-it-yourself idea, you really don't want to see what my attempt
at it would look like! It does remind me that I do need a chair though -
I seem to have ended up with the desk chair bought for my sister when
she got her first desk which makes it at least 20 years old and it's
adjustment screws are totally jammed, I don't need anything fancy, but I
do need to be able to get the right height!

FOr a pricey machine I am holding out until Bernina has a larger
harp machine. I am not holding my breath though.

I do intend to try some non larger harp machines, I think my current
machine has such a small harp that it's not representative of all
machines, but it's still quite a way off having room for my hand and the
quilt, but then with an extension table, my hands may come forward
enough to not need as much extra room as I might think.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 17th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, you would need 2 of them Leslie!
I would probably use it with a machine and cut on the end. You would
need a larger area for big cutting. I do mostly scrappy and work with a
lot of small stuff. The next model up acutely has 6 heights you can
preset. Just push a button. I said it was a splurge! Unless I won
the lotto I can't imagine spending so much money on a thing like that.
I think it is something like $1800. Last time I brought it up Marcella
knew the price but that has been awhile.
Taria

Old November 17th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

IMO the Viking fabric mover and stitch regulator is just a very unnecessary
item..Doesn't work worth a darn..Of course, right now, I'm so down on Viking
it's not funny. I'll never have another Viking. I've had 2 and hated them
both. Babylock and Brother are very good machines.
Gen

. ..

Old November 17th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly D

I'm with Taria. A Bernina with a larger throat/harp thingy, and 2 sewing
tables - one to sew at and one to cut at. After all they both need to be
different heights.
I have a horn table with a lift up piece at the back which is handy since my
sewing room is my living room, but it only comes up when I need to quilt.
When I'm working on piecing it's down, and if I need to cut a large piece of
fabric I take it to the kitchen table, lop off a piece then cut it into
smaller pieces back at the sewing table. (I tend to work on smaller pieces
too). I have an adjustable office chair that I can put at the right height
for sewing. All I need now is someone to make me a little foot peddle
platform.
Elly... in a dark dreek looking Nrth Scotland this morning.... is it day or
night?

--
Elly
http://community.webshots.com/user/b...host=community

Old November 17th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall[_2_]

Default supposing you had a bigger budget... Bernina with a bigger harp

I too am holding out for a Bernina with a larger harp. I have heard
rumors from reliable people connected to Bernina that there is a
model in the works scheduled for release in 2008, and that is ALL
they will say about it. I'm hoping and wishing that this new machine
will have a built-in thread cutter and also a knee-lifter and that the
price will be competive with the Viking Sapphire 870 and the
Janome MC6600. Meanwhile, my Janome MC6500 is sewing
just fine (though I have issues with a few of its programed stitches).
Mickie

Old November 17th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

With a Pfaff of Viking there
is the add on of the fabric mover thingy, the store is quoting 499 at
the moment, or 799 for it and quilters cruise control, which if bought
to use with frame is 599. I'm sure someone here has said they disliked
the fabric mover and no one has said anything positive, but maybe the
ability to add in a stitch regulator would change that,

I tried the Pfaff fabric mover thing at Houston and it did have a stitch
regulator. I didn't think they were two separate things though. It
worked great but was hard for me to get used to. However, given the 15
minutes I played it worked quite well. I liked it more than the Bernina
stitch regulator thing but it was really hard to see what I was doing as
it was a large foot/attachment.

Personally, I would go for a nice sewing table. I know you said you
like your nice kitchen table, but once you experience your machine even
with a whole table, well, it's a wonderous thing. Yes, the horn is
lovely but very expensive. There are nice and budget friendlier options
- Janome makes a small one for their large harp machines for around $200
and the ladies on the Janome list love it and say it is very sturdy and
doesn't vibrate at all when sewing. I have a Sylvia designs table -
bigger than the Janome one, smaller than the Horn but works great and
has very good leg room (some sewing tables are very squishy in that
area).

marcella
Old November 18th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

About the "fabric mover".. it is a pain and the cruise control bit is
part of it. IF I could have gotten the "quilter's cruise control" to use
without the fabric mover I would have jumped at it. sigh.

As to a dedicated quilting machine/frame... I am getting one. VBG My
Tin Lizzie is on order and should be here soon. After researching and
trying several of the frame-machine combos I decided that the Tin Lizzie
had more of what I wanted and is complete. I have my regular machine
for sewing and smaller quilting projects, but wanted the stitch
regulator/cruise control. And the 18" throat is a bonus too. VBG

If I were going to invest in a new, general purpose sewing machine it
would probably be the Sapphire. But I haven't really looked at the
Janome. Don't know who makes the BabyLock Quest for BabyLock. But I have
owned a Brother machine and would have to be really convinced to buy
another. (Long story and about 5 years of fighting that machine. sigh.)

Have fun. Be sure to sit down with your own fabrics with each machine
and try out everything you think you might want to do. Including
different appliqué stitches, and so on. Every individual reacts
differently to each machine, so find the one that fits you, not someone
else. Also remember that you are, in part, "buying" the dealer/service
people, so be sure you are comfortable with them too.

Pati, in Phx

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Help in making block bigger She in PA Quilting 3 September 7th 05 08:12 PM
Budget serger jajmd Sewing 9 August 2nd 05 09:06 AM
laser welders: quality and budget? himog Jewelry 0 June 19th 05 05:41 PM
Bigger than size 8 beads? ally Beads 6 September 8th 03 06:08 AM
AD: Bigger Better Scumbuster at PCC Auctions Tonja L. Polymer Clay 0 July 3rd 03 07:05 PM