Putting a number at the back of a polyester hockey jersey

Old November 27th 05, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Putting a number at the back of a polyester hockey jersey

wrote:

What should I use? Paint? If so, what kind? Thanks for your help!

I'd draw the letters on a contrasting fabric, and applique them using a
satin stitch. You can hold the letters down for stitching with
Bondaweb, or spray baste.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 28th 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What should I use? Paint? If so, what kind? Thanks for your help!

Old November 28th 05, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks, but I'm looking for a liquid I could apply on the jersey. I
don't want to go through the process of using needles. Let's say I use
oil-based paint. What will happen with the my other clothes cleaned
with the jersey? That's my main concern.

Old November 28th 05, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 27 Nov 2005 20:58:47 -0800, wrote:

Thanks, but I'm looking for a liquid I could apply on the jersey. I
don't want to go through the process of using needles. Let's say I use
oil-based paint. What will happen with the my other clothes cleaned
with the jersey? That's my main concern.

They are liable to get all yucky with the bits of fabric and paint
after the numbers disintegrate in the wash.

How do I know this?
I have been painting for as long as I can remember and my mom was
addicted to polyester. You should be able to determine the fount from
which this knowledge flows from that.

If you want to use paint go for it.
But I would suggest either acrylic craft paint, ballpoint fabric
paint, or a fabric paint that says it won't fall off of polyester.
Something that does not need to be heat set as heat setting will
likely melt the shirt.

Seriously your best bet is with the heavy duty, good quality, iron on
numbers, and being very very careful with the iron. Latex glue (the
stuff for making latex clothes, not made out of) might also work, but
whatever you get Read The Label.
I ended up buying my kid 3 basketball jerseys because she first tried
model paint (melted the jersey), then cheap iron on numbers (melt,
scorch, general iron abuse), and then I stepped in and made her let me
do it.

NightMist

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old November 28th 05, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, Marcella. I will go to a fabric store this week. Thanks.

Denis
Marcella Peek wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks, but I'm looking for a liquid I could apply on the jersey. I
don't want to go through the process of using needles. Let's say I use
oil-based paint. What will happen with the my other clothes cleaned
with the jersey? That's my main concern.

Any chance you could go to your local fabric store and buy iron on
numbers? If not, I'd go for fabric paints rather than oil paints.

marcella

Old November 28th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:12:37 -0600, wrote
(in article .com):

What should I use? Paint? If so, what kind? Thanks for your help!

I'd look at TSWLTH or someplace similar for iron-on or applique numbers made
just for this purpose.

Maureen

Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
collar question FtForger Sewing 20 May 14th 04 09:36 AM