newton's knits/machine knitters

Old October 21st 05, 06:09 PM
Nck

Default newton's knits/machine knitters

Hey, I have an old Toyota knitting machine, with all the goodies and had
sort of despaired of getting needles etc, when I found these guys! I
used to deal with them when I was selling and teaching so it was nice to
see that they are still around! Anyway, if any of you have an older
machine, this is the place to get parts, needles and accessories!
Old October 21st 05, 09:54 PM
Wooly

I look at knitting machines on Ebay maybe once a month. Earlier this
week I looked around to see what was on offer and found a complete
"Fair Isle" brand knitting machine. The auction was going to end in
about 5 minutes so I made a snap decision to buy the thing if I could
get it for under $75. With shipping I didn't pay that much so I was
happy.

Even happier is the fact that the "new" machine was being sold by the
original owner, was advertised as 100% complete and functional AND
comes with the original operator manual. I haven't been able to
figure out how the first "Fair Isle" machine I bought on Ebay works.
I'm either missing pieces or lack the wits to put them together
properly.

If all else fails I'll have one known good working machine and another
to cannibalized for parts on an as-needed basis.

I will drop Newton's a line to see if they know anything about the
machine vis-a-vis its compatibility with other brands. "Fair Isle"
machines just don't exist based on the research I've been able to do.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old October 21st 05, 10:18 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nck , congratulations ,, on this buy ..
Reading the word Newton , reminded me for a moment of having lived in
NEWTOWN mass ,,,,
mirjam

Old October 21st 05, 11:25 PM
Carey N.

Mirjam,
I didn't realize you had lived near Otis Air Base on the Cape; I thought
you had lived just outside Boston, in Newton. Surprise, Surprise.
--
Carey in MA

Old October 22nd 05, 05:03 AM
Nck

In sll the years I have worked with knitting machines, I never heard of
such a brand. Does it say "Fair Isle" anywhere on the machine? That's
a style of knit design, actually. Have you knit on a machine before?
If so, then you can probably figure out what's missing.

Old October 24th 05, 09:10 PM
spinninglilac

Hi Wooly
How do you mean Fairisle machine, do you mean it does fairisle or that this
is actually the name of it...if you send me the auc number then I'll take a
look at it for you...it maybe a punchcard machine, or an electronic one that
does lots for you....let us know...this is not a machine name I am familiar
with....hugz....Cher

Old October 24th 05, 09:40 PM
Wooly

It is branded "Fair Isle" in 50's-mod script, 100% metal and a nice
dark metallic aqua blue. The one I bought earlier this year has zero
ID on it aside from the name of the thing. It isn't a punchcard, all
hand-manipulation AFAICT. I should have the new one this week - and a
manual!!! -- so I ought to be able to get one of them going. I'll
email you a scan of the manual cover when I get it if you're
interested.

FWIW, they're both coming out of eastern Ontario. Maybe a local
manufacturer?

+++++++++++++

Old October 25th 05, 09:06 AM
spinninglilac

Hi ya
Sounds like the one I had in the 60's a knitmaster he was metal and heavy
and you had to hand manipulate the stitches to make a pattern. would have
been easier to have looked at it on ebay from the pics...How many needle
beds has it got, I'm now wondering if it is just a flat piece with a row of
needles, or if it is shaped like this ^ with two needle beds...which means
you have a ribber or if two beds fit together. The only blue one I ever had
was Passap, the old metal one, heavy too, but this was more of a sky blue
colour.

What a shame there are no labels of any kind anywhere.. I'd like to see the
manual and any pics of it, sounds interesting.
You get these going and you'll be like a cottage industry over there
Wooly.....lol

hugz.....Cher.xx