wood quilt by Detweiler

Old May 14th 05, 09:56 PM
stinkypete

Default wood quilt by Detweiler

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a question. My mom bought
this wood quilt while she was visiting Texas a while back. The name on
the back says "Detweiler" and her maiden name was Detweiler so she
wants to know more about it. The antiques dealer who sold it to her
noticed that the wood grain goes in different directions and said that
this means it may be done by hand...I am somewhat skeptical about this.
The back is labeled "881727 Country Flowers" and also says "Copyright
1985, Wood Quilts by Detweiler". The number on the back makes me think
that it may have been done by a machine. If anyone has any info or idea
on what we can look up let us know. Thanks.

Old May 14th 05, 10:33 PM
Bronnie

What is a 'wood' quilt? A pattern or using brown fabrics with a grain
pattern?
Thanks
Bronwyn

Old May 15th 05, 12:07 AM
Sharon Harper

Bronnie, I was actually thinking it was like a wooden wallhanging or
something where they use different types of wood to make the patterns. You
know like the coasters and such you can get in Tassie that are made of seven
different types of wood and set in a log cabin type pattern? Course I could
be wrong....

quicker)

oups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 12:15 AM
maryd

I found some pictures of wood quilts here.
http://www.highcountryamishquilts.com/index.php?cat=865

--
Mary
"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
: Bronnie, I was actually thinking it was like a wooden wallhanging or
: something where they use different types of wood to make the patterns.
You
: know like the coasters and such you can get in Tassie that are made of
seven
: different types of wood and set in a log cabin type pattern? Course I
could
: be wrong....
:
: --
: Sharon from Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
: http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes a while to load)
: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shazrules/my_photos (same as website but
: quicker)
:
: oups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 02:17 AM
WhansaMi

"stinkypete" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a question. My mom bought
this wood quilt while she was visiting Texas a while back. The name on
the back says "Detweiler" and her maiden name was Detweiler so she
wants to know more about it. The antiques dealer who sold it to her
noticed that the wood grain goes in different directions and said that
this means it may be done by hand...I am somewhat skeptical about this.
The back is labeled "881727 Country Flowers" and also says "Copyright
1985, Wood Quilts by Detweiler". The number on the back makes me think
that it may have been done by a machine. If anyone has any info or idea
on what we can look up let us know. Thanks.

My husband does woodworking. Tim Deitweiler is a Mennonite carpenter, who
has written a couple of books on things like making wooden locks and wooden
puzzles. I don't know if this is the same Deitweiler, but it would seem
that the surname has Mennonite roots.

Sheila

Old May 15th 05, 02:19 AM
WhansaMi

"WhansaMi" wrote in message

[...]

Oops, that is Detweiler, not Deitweiler. :-O But, the info is the same.
Just my silly brain glitch kicking in. :-)

Sheila

Old May 15th 05, 06:01 AM
Bronnie

Thanks Mary for the link. Now Shar and I know what they are about!
Pretty neat and alot of work. Would make an attractive wallhanging out
side one's front door. Let me see, I wonder if DH is feeling
sculptural today (I can hear him (and smell - using a blowtorch)
stripping paint off the doorframes as I type).
The nicest ones to me are the mariners star designs.
Bronnie

Old May 15th 05, 09:57 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

The medical clinic where I go has these on the walls all around the main
lobby.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
ups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 02:44 PM
maryd

You're welcome. I had never heard of them so did a search. If your DH
makes one, be sure to let us know.

--
Mary
ups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 08:16 PM
DrQuilter

not sure, but it can't be an antique if it has a label from '85, uh?
dealers nowadays have all kinds of newer stuff on their stores mixed
with oldies...

Bronnie wrote:
What is a 'wood' quilt? A pattern or using brown fabrics with a grain
pattern?
Thanks
Bronwyn

--