Lampworkers

Old September 23rd 03, 06:02 PM
Deirdre S.

What a cool description of how this works. Thanks

Deirdre

On 23 Sep 2003 04:18:58 GMT, ospam (Kaytee) wrote:

In article , "Steve
Richardson" writes:

I noticed one day that the pottery students were visiting
our stained glass classroom a lot. It turned out that they were collecting
our scraps, the ones that were too small to re-use, and grinding them up.
Then they used the powder to line plates, bowls, ashtrays, whatever. They'd
fire these, and the results were absolutely beautiful. Like enamel, which I
guess it was, or close enough. Has anybody else ever tried this, or seen it
done?

I did it with cracked marbles, bottle glass and seed beads when I was doing
ceramics/pottery back in the 1980s. It will depend on the glazes, the clay(s)
and the firing temp, as well as how big the glass chunks are. Usually, I used
"Duncan Transparent Gloss" low fire glaze, no matter what clay/temp I was
using-- used it to "stick" the glass to the bisque ware, and kind of fill in
the spaces between glass chunks.
Reds generally burn out, sometimes with a kind of scummy blackening, even at
"low fire" (cone 06). Seed beads generally only slump at that temp, but melt in
pretty well at high fire (stoneware, cone 5-8); bright colors generally burn
out by cone 5. Cone 10 is usually too hot and everything just blurs, and most
colors burn out.
The one stoneware bowl that I filled about an inch high with cracked glass (mix
of bottle and marbles) turned out wonderful, despite the big crack in the glass
that developed. It all melted down into a solid "pool" about a 1/2" deep--
looked like a tropical sea tide pool. I figure it cracked because either the
ceramic temp cool down process was too fast for glass, or just because it
wasn't compatible shrink-ratewise with the stoneware (which was "Duncan white
stoneware clay", in case you're interested). Putting little chunks on the rim
of a bowl, cup, etc. and letting the melt streak down the sides looks good,
too.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old September 23rd 03, 11:25 PM
Steve Richardson

"Kaytee" wrote in message
In article , vj

writes:

Really? Have you actually found an American car? My father has been...
complaining... for years about the lack of American cars....

Even the ones with American brand names on them are filled with parts made
elsewhere, and it's almost impossible to get American made replacement
parts....

As always, "follow the profits" to figure out what's American (and good for
America) and what's not. Ford is American because, no matter where the car
was made, its profits stay in America. Ditto for the companies that Ford
now owns: Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover fairly recently, even Aston Martin.
Ford also has a controlling interest (33%) in Mazda. But Honda, Toyota,
Subaru, and so on are foreign no matter how many US assembly plants they
have, because the profits go to the parent companies overseas, and that's
where oversight and control are. At least that's the yardstick I use.

Sorry for opening this can of OT worms. It's one of my hot buttons as you
can see!

- Steve R
St Louis

Old September 23rd 03, 11:48 PM
Deirdre S.

You bought a truck? Cool... can you show it to us? What color is it?

Deirdre

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:36:02 -0700, vj wrote:

that makes sense.
the truck i bought today is a Dodge Dakota pickup.

Old September 24th 03, 12:17 AM
Deirdre S.

Oh, well. I was imagining 007 glistening black or fire-engine red.
grin

But brown is a good, sturdy, reliable color :-)...

Deirdre

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:01:10 -0700, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Deirdre S.
:

]You bought a truck? Cool... can you show it to us? What color is it?

just - brown.
i'll put up a picture as soon as we actually take possession of it.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old September 24th 03, 12:29 AM
Deirdre S.

Good music on long trips is a blissful thing. G. and I always bring
lots of options along, and the person who isn't driving gets to pick.
Fortunately our tastes are a very good match...

Deirdre

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:25:00 -0700, vj wrote:

but it DOES have a CD player in it, so i can
listen to what **i** want - not what the station wants to play.

[from someone who creates a LOT of her own CD mixes]

Old September 27th 03, 04:14 AM
Cheryl

, they told
me they ran their shipments through a couple of cycles in an automatic
dishwasher, and did some serious culling before putting the survivors
out on display.

now THAT is ingenious -- and it probably weeds out all the "weak" ones ....

Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

new question for lampworkers Kandice Seeber Beads 22 September 14th 03 11:48 PM
Proposition to lampworkers KDK Beads 3 August 25th 03 07:07 PM
Question for the lampworkers KDK Beads 16 August 10th 03 06:51 PM
OT (sorta): Quextion for lampworkers Louis Cage Beads 7 July 30th 03 02:22 PM
Question for lampworkers Tink Beads 8 July 26th 03 01:32 AM