Advice on quilt show award

Old February 8th 04, 09:24 PM
MJ

Default Advice on quilt show award

Last summer a talented member of our guild passed away after a short
illness with ovarian cancer. Her former business associates and her
husband, Bob, have established a fund that is to be used as a cash
prize for a quilt in our annual quilt show. Because she was a
talented and precise quilter it will be an award of excellance. We
expect to have enough money that this will continue for about 10
years.

Our show is small, not juried, and to date we have given awards in two
categories - one is voted on by anyone attending the show and all
entries are eligible. The second is restricted to only quilts
completely made and quilted by a guild member and voted on only by
guild members. Only ribbons have been awarded.

Now we will have a third one to handle. Bob is quite involved with
how he wants this to be done, but there are still a lot of questions.
I believe we have decided that it is open to anyone (not just our
guild members).

Question 1 -- Should the quilts be limited to only those that are
completely done by an individual - or are quilts made by one person,
professionally quilted by another eligible? This is a little sticky
since our guild president is also a professional long arm quilter,
very talented, and does 2/3 of the quilts in the long arm category
(our largest) and a fair number of the wall hangings. This gal was
also the closest friend of the guild member who passed away - and has
been a major support for Bob during her illness and since then.

Question 2 -- Bob has suggested that we give one for quilt design and
construction and a separate one for quilting (hand, machine, or long
arm). Any comments about pros and cons of this?

Question 3 -- Bob will be one of the judges. And there will be 2
others- neither of them professionals since we don't have money to pay
them.
Where can we get some guidelines to help them and us.

Because of the logistics of putting our show up the quilts will have
to be judged after they are hung.

Do the judges go around together or do they make their judgements
first and then combine their choices?

Although Bob is involved, it will be up to the guild to set the
guidelines for this whole thing.

I've gone back in the archives and read some of the postings over the
years about judging, but I'd love to have more input on this unique
situation. Or maybe it isn't unique and you can give me imput on how
its been handled.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Midge