Floba shoulder bag

Old November 26th 03, 05:12 PM
Carolyn Wagner

Default Floba shoulder bag

Has anyone stitched on one of these? I would love to do one, but wondered if
there was already a protective covering on the inside of the bag to keep
things from snagging the stitched thread or if I have to had a lining
myself. Also, I'm really hard on purses. Any suggestions to help protect the
stitched design on the outside? Would Scotchgard work or would it damage the
thread?

TIA,
Carolyn

Old November 26th 03, 06:20 PM
Karen C - California

In article , "Carolyn Wagner"
writes:

Any suggestions to help protect the
stitched design on the outside? Would Scotchgard work or would it damage the
thread?

There used to be a product called Craftgard. I've heard several first-hand
stories about Scotchgard causing floss to bleed, and the Craftgard was
developed to avoid that.

My examination of the Floba bag went as far as the price tag. I could get a
durable leather bag, with organizer pockets, for less. And I'd much rather
have organizer pockets. And wasn't sure I wanted to put that many hours into
stitching something that I knew would have a short life, because I'm also hard
on bags.

Another concern with pre-finished items is the awkwardness of stitching on
them. Unless you deconstruct it, you'll have to stitch with one hand inside
the bag. And I figure if I'm going to have to re-sew seams after I take it
apart, I might as well start with flat fabric and make my own from scratch.

If you're bound and determined to make it, put all your stuff into a clear
plastic bag before putting it in the Floba bag. Then be sure that when you
throw it back, you throw it inside the Ziploc bag so it doesn't snag the
stitching.

--
Finished 11/18/03 -- Bird of Paradise
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old November 26th 03, 10:28 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Carolyn Wagner"

..... wondered if
there was already a protective covering on the inside of the bag to keep
things from snagging the stitched thread or if I have to had a lining
myself. ........

I have one of these bags in my stash and just took a look at it.
There is no lining on the inside. Since I sew, I would add a lining after I
finished stitching on the piece. Of course, I have the KITTY FACE chart
designed specifically for the Floba bag so I would put a kitty fabric lining on
the inside and add some sections and pockets and such.

......... Also, I'm really hard on purses. Any suggestions to help protect the
stitched design on the outside? Would Scotchgard work or would it damage the
thread? ............

Have no idea how Scotchguard would work. What I planned to do is
either sew plastic over the stitched area OR use the iron on plastic made
specufucally for this type of application. Since a Floba Handbag is NOT what I
would consider an heirloom item, I would have no problem ironing the clear
platic over the top of my stitching!
IF you add a lining AND you cover your stitching with clear plastic, it
would be easy enough to get everything sewn to the bag and then sew some sort
of braid over the top and bottom edge of that plastic piece! It's what I
think i will likely do -- IF I ever get the bag stitched -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow
^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old November 27th 03, 02:50 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Not yet swooning, but curious . . . grin . . .
I thought I was following this thread, but maybe lost something in the
translation of the posters . . .
Do you mean embroider something, then place iron-on "clear plastic" OVER
the embroidery?

Wouldn't it create bubbles around the stitching?
Just trying to picture this. Not making any nuances here. g
Dianne

From: S (Karen C - California)

You *do* see the heirloom crowd rapidly fanning themselves and passing the
smelling salts that you would even think of such a thing?

Now that I've swooned over your heresy, I think I need some of this stuff.

What's it called? Where can I get it?

HMMM -- bet you just *never* thought I would be so heretical did ya'?? I
likely made a few folks turn green or get cyanotic at the very thought of
ironing plastic over top of my stitching :-)))! Bad enough I suggested the
regular sew on plastic -- LOLOL!
Aw sheesh -- now you want a name?!?!? I don't really know but either JoAnns
or Hancock would have it. It would be in the same section as the iron on
innerfacings and stuff like that. This stuff is made to be ironed on to
fabric and then you cut out your pattern pieces and sew it all together. Very
handy when you make placemats or rain gear, etc. CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

Old November 27th 03, 06:53 PM
Olwynmary

I honestly don't think there are very many of us here who really understand
the concept of needlework as an "adornment" for something ordinary -- a
totebag, tea towel, dresser scarf, pillow cases, baby bibs, etc. CiaoMeow
^;;^

LOL!!!!! Those are the only things I use embroidery for!!!!! Table and bed
linens, home dec items such as pillow tops etc., the occasional garment - none
of my work gets framed and put on the wall (DH already has enough prints,
pictures etc. hanging up). ALL of my work is used to adorn something practical
and usable, and most of it - the stuff I don't give away - is in daily use and
is laundered regularly.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old November 27th 03, 07:57 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I have lots of embroidery that is just in drawers. Never gets looked
at, except by me. My little "doodle" stuff - learning to do something,
then not really having anything to do "with it" after it's done. Too
small for any use. So, it goes in a drawer.

I still wouldn't put plastic over my embroidery (thinking of that tote
bag. grin Embroidery is to be "used", then discarded when ragged. Of
course, for a tote bag, I wouldn't do anything because, like someone
else said, it would be so dirty from lugging around, it would be an item
that I'd bother my time to do. But I DO have evening purses that I have
embroidered, or made to order.

Most embroidery is pretty rugged and will last as long as the item on
which it is used to embellish. Wouldn't that make a lovely gift? A
Hardanger pillow case set!!

From: (Olwynmary)

LOL!!!!! Those are the only things I use embroidery for!!!!! Table and bed
linens, home dec items such as pillow tops etc., the occasional garment -
none
of my work gets framed and put on the wall ...........

Well, that's because -- I think -- you are one of those who learned to do
needlework on those types of things :-))). My Granny (who taught me to
embroider) would have had apoplexy at the very thought of stitching something
and then framing it and hanging it on the wall -- LOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.