New quilter

Old November 3rd 05, 10:45 PM
Jessamy

Default New quilter

I agree about learning German.. I'm English and speak some German and the
amazement of the faces when I speak my horrid German speaks volumes... any
mistake is instantly forgiven and they do their best to make themselves
understood

just as long as I don't speak Dutch in their hearing... they have no
sympathy for the Dutch not speaking German for some reason and I have a good
Dutch accent so they then think I'm Dutch sigh

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

"Kate Dicey" schreef in bericht
Catherine wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Catherine wrote:

I'm just feeling giggly enough to do it, too. But I'm afraid you'd
be doing your taste-testing with a spoon. I live in Europe and the
last time I sent any good chocolate abroad it arrived crushed, parts
missing, some parts with tooth marks, and mostly melted. Looked like
a gorilla had danced on it. They ate it anyway. It was, after all,
chocolate.

Where are you in Europe? I'm in the UK.

Germany. American (non-redneck-southerner). Permanent home. Husband
German. Six years. Still can't speak it. Hence the hesitancy to refer
to quilting supply shops or those which would sell rotary cutters 'cause
I just plain don't have a clue where they are yet. But I intend to find
out.

Do learn! I'm sure there will be classes for non-German speakers, and
from my experiences there, while most people of post war vintage speak
good English, they do appreciate other folk trying to learn the
language. I learned a little when I was there (thirty years ago now -
my dad was there with the RAF when I was at school and college, so I
went out for my holidays). Mum learned quite a bit more (she did
classes for six months before we went! Always too much sense, my mum!),
and found it very useful.

There are plenty of on-line places for getting quilting supplies: you
may even find it cheaper to buy in from the USA and pay the postage than
to buy the same kit at German prices. Madly, I find that some UK
fabrics are cheaper bought this way than bought here in England, because
of the way the tax works!

As for sending chocolate... I seal it up in plastic (heat sealed! I
have a bag sealing gadget), wrap it in fat quarters, and seal that
again in another bag. You can't feel or smell it from the outside of
the packet. I also fail miserably to mention it on the customs
declaration. It has got through safely to the USA, Canada, Oz and NZ.

*mouth hanging open*
A double-sized order of instant respect for the shrewd lady from the UK,
if you please!

Hehehehehehehe! That's how I earned my title below!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old November 4th 05, 08:19 AM
Patti

Sorry to have been so brief - I was in a rush!
I just mentioned it so that you could keep data on the same method
together.
I do think you will like this method. It is extremely satisfying to
watch the work grow - rather like comparing crochet with knitting.

(Never dreamt you were the least little bit stupid - ugh. I hate that
word.)
..
In message , Catherine
writes
Patti wrote:

The English Paper Piecing is what I described in my earlier post,
Catherine.
Try Googling for English Paper Piecing?

D'oh. *smacks self in head* Right. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm usually not this stupid. Really. I'm just kinda overwhelmed at
the moment. It'll pass.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 4th 05, 08:31 AM
Roberta Zollner

So when are you coming for your quilting lesson?
Roberta in D

"Catherine" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Roberta Zollner wrote:

Ooh, I invited you over before I knew you were so close! I'm outside
Munich, also a German husband :-) Well, maybe not close as in a morning's
drive, but much closer than the folks over the pond!
Roberta in D for Deutschland

Aha! Oh you lucky lady, Munich is a gorgeous town. My husband took me
there for our first anniversary and I've never forgotten it. I can't wait
to go back. We stayed in a little pension just outside that looked like a
miniature castle and sat right next to a stream with weeping willows
hanging over it... flowers in bloom everywhere, little cafés... *sigh* It
was love at first sight for Bavaria and me. I bought "Sissi" books and saw
the palace and every touristy thing I could think of to do. The one thing
we didn't do was go to Hofbräuhaus and I still regret it.

Old November 4th 05, 09:01 AM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Catherine wrote:
Roberta Zollner wrote:

Well, come on over and stay a couple of days with me, and I'll show you!
Roberta in D

"D" would be... Düsseldorf? Düren?
Don't offer that if you don't mean it. If I ever have an extreme moment
of frust I'm liable to show up on your doorstep with bloody knees!

Deutschland, I think :-)

Hanne in London
Old November 4th 05, 01:05 PM
Catherine

Jessamy wrote:

cool just round the corner then ;-) (I live in Helmond which is along the
motor way to Eindhoven.)

well it's "only" 200 km then not all that far really on a global scale

Yes... not too far to drag one's quilt-bag and supplies by train... in
moments of great desperation.
*filing this away for future notice*

Old November 4th 05, 01:12 PM
Catherine

Jessamy wrote:

I agree about learning German.. I'm English and speak some German and the
amazement of the faces when I speak my horrid German speaks volumes... any
mistake is instantly forgiven and they do their best to make themselves
understood

just as long as I don't speak Dutch in their hearing... they have no
sympathy for the Dutch not speaking German for some reason and I have a good
Dutch accent so they then think I'm Dutch sigh

Yeah I wonder why that is. Many German people I've met understand
Dutch well enough to converse with a Dutch person, but don't speak the
language or sparsely at best.

Go just over the border to Vaals or Maastricht and the Dutch there are
expected to speak fluent German to German consumers while standing on
their own soil, and before '00 even took German currency as readily as
we all use Euro now. You'll encounter the same situation in Belgium.
Go figure.

Old November 4th 05, 01:15 PM
Catherine

Roberta Zollner wrote:

So when are you coming for your quilting lesson?
Roberta in D

Just as soon as I acquire the upper body strength to twist my hubby's
arm in a slightly painful yet effective travel-with-me-or-else manner.

Old November 4th 05, 01:50 PM
Jessamy

I have excellent news then ... Helmond is ON the line from Germany - venlo -
eindhoven and the train even stops here ;-)

and in times of dire need my oldest son can be talked into sleeping in his
brothers room for a night or two (whose room is incidentally, just beyond my
stash)

Old November 4th 05, 01:54 PM
Jessamy

umm.. basically because they are used to speaking German and having non
German programmes dubbed - but then the English do the same language wise so
it's not really so unusual.

Yes all border towns with Germany used to take the Dm as currency.. in Venlo
there were special supermarkets that catered for the German customer.. all
prices in DM and all shop keepers spoke German - *and* to my surprise I was
unable to pay for my shopping with Guilders!!! .. (umm.. hello?? we are in
the NL here??!!)