New quilter

Old November 3rd 05, 03:11 PM
Sally Swindells

Default New quilter

My LQS really slaps your wrist if you forget to shut the cutter
everytime you use it! I feel guilty everytime I forget, so it does
work! All their staff are 'Cutter Police'!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:40:23 +0100, Catherine wrote:

Marcella Peek wrote:

Welcome! You can easily make your quilts by hand. I actually teach all
sorts of hand technique classes. Perhaps your local quilt shop does as
well - if you have a local quilt shop.

Not as yet, but I'm making plans to stalk some local sewing machine
stores and I'll look into this too.

If you like pieced blocks you can do that sewing by hand. You do not
have to make cardboard templates and draw around them and cut them out
with scissors - no matter what famous quilters might tell you so. Use a
rotary cutter like machine piecers and get to the piecing faster.

Eek. The rotary cutter? Are you sure? I read here this morning a
lady was attacked and severely injured by a cutter-gone-wild. She
ended up in hospital with stitches. 0_0

For tips on both hand piecing and hand quilting try this website:
http://www.handpiecer.com

Applique is another technique you can do by hand. Pieces would be hand
sewn down onto a background to make a picture. Here are some basic
directions to get you started:
http://www.auscraftnet.com.au/projects/handapplique.php

Of course, the quilting itself can be done by hand as well.
Here's a nice article and tips on handquilting:
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00024.asp

for tips on handquilting without marking the pattern try:
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00030.asp

Also there is a nice hand piecing technique called english paper
piecing. You can see a little about it he
http://www.quilttownusa.com/Town_Hall/paperpieces.htm

Have fun and let us know what you decide to try first.
marcella

Oh my that's a wealth of information. Will do and will do! Thank
you.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:38 PM
Jessamy

hiya Catherine,

welcome to the group :-D

Where in Germany do you live? (general location?) I live fairly close to the
German border near Venlo

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

"Catherine" schreef in bericht
Kate Dicey wrote:
Catherine wrote:

I'm just feeling giggly enough to do it, too. But I'm afraid you'd be
doing your taste-testing with a spoon. I live in Europe and the last
time I sent any good chocolate abroad it arrived crushed, parts
missing, some parts with tooth marks, and mostly melted. Looked like
a gorilla had danced on it. They ate it anyway. It was, after all,
chocolate.

Where are you in Europe? I'm in the UK.

Germany. American (non-redneck-southerner). Permanent home. Husband
German. Six years. Still can't speak it. Hence the hesitancy to
refer to quilting supply shops or those which would sell rotary
cutters 'cause I just plain don't have a clue where they are yet. But
I intend to find out.

As for sending chocolate... I seal it up in plastic (heat sealed! I
have a bag sealing gadget), wrap it in fat quarters, and seal that again
in another bag. You can't feel or smell it from the outside of the
packet. I also fail miserably to mention it on the customs declaration.
It has got through safely to the USA, Canada, Oz and NZ.

*mouth hanging open*
A double-sized order of instant respect for the shrewd lady from the
UK, if you please!

Old November 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Kate Dicey

Catherine wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Eek. The rotary cutter? Are you sure? I read here this morning a
lady was attacked and severely injured by a cutter-gone-wild. She
ended up in hospital with stitches. 0_0

For some it's a rite of passage... For others, it's a No Go area!
So far I have used my rotary cutters successfully for over 5 years and
not yet managed to cut myself. They really are the best way to cut
quilt bits accurately.

Your fine motor skills must be outstanding.

Nah... My fingers just have a high squeam factor and a well developed
sense of self-preservation! I've done more damage to them chewing lumps
out with scissors, cutting corset boning. One reason my sewing kit now
contains some strong tinsnips... Quilting rulers have a vertical edge
rather than a beveled edge, and accidents are less likely to happen,
though not, as you see, impossible.

Well, I will stalk them if I ever manage to find them, hold a pair and
try to gauge their potential for serious damage.

They are for sale in most quilt shops and good haberdashery/notions
departments. In a quilt shop they may let you try a few cuts with a
ruler and some scrap fabric. Just ask - the worst they can say is 'no',
and that may be for safety/insurance reasons.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 3rd 05, 04:23 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Yes, this group has had a few rotary cutter accidents, so you must be
careful. I have personally been attacked by a small pair of fiskars
scissors, the jumped off of my sewing table and stabbed me in the
foot, ohhh, the blood, the pain, and no help at all from my DSO. He
thought that I was being silly, then he saw the blood! It was not
pretty!

But, you must cut the beautiful fabric into small pieces before you
can sew it back together, so rotary cutters are a must. If you ever
cut out a quilt using scissors you will understand why we love the
rotary cutters.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:26:53 +0000, Kate Dicey

Old November 3rd 05, 04:35 PM
Kate Dicey

Catherine wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Catherine wrote:

I'm just feeling giggly enough to do it, too. But I'm afraid you'd
be doing your taste-testing with a spoon. I live in Europe and the
last time I sent any good chocolate abroad it arrived crushed, parts
missing, some parts with tooth marks, and mostly melted. Looked like
a gorilla had danced on it. They ate it anyway. It was, after all,
chocolate.

Where are you in Europe? I'm in the UK.

Germany. American (non-redneck-southerner). Permanent home. Husband
German. Six years. Still can't speak it. Hence the hesitancy to refer
to quilting supply shops or those which would sell rotary cutters 'cause
I just plain don't have a clue where they are yet. But I intend to find
out.

Do learn! I'm sure there will be classes for non-German speakers, and
from my experiences there, while most people of post war vintage speak
good English, they do appreciate other folk trying to learn the
language. I learned a little when I was there (thirty years ago now -
my dad was there with the RAF when I was at school and college, so I
went out for my holidays). Mum learned quite a bit more (she did
classes for six months before we went! Always too much sense, my mum!),
and found it very useful.

There are plenty of on-line places for getting quilting supplies: you
may even find it cheaper to buy in from the USA and pay the postage than
to buy the same kit at German prices. Madly, I find that some UK
fabrics are cheaper bought this way than bought here in England, because
of the way the tax works!

As for sending chocolate... I seal it up in plastic (heat sealed! I
have a bag sealing gadget), wrap it in fat quarters, and seal that
again in another bag. You can't feel or smell it from the outside of
the packet. I also fail miserably to mention it on the customs
declaration. It has got through safely to the USA, Canada, Oz and NZ.

*mouth hanging open*
A double-sized order of instant respect for the shrewd lady from the UK,
if you please!

Hehehehehehehe! That's how I earned my title below!
Old November 3rd 05, 04:37 PM
Kate Dicey

Jessamy wrote:

hiya Catherine,

welcome to the group :-D

Where in Germany do you live? (general location?) I live fairly close to the
German border near Venlo

Not far from where I was 30 years ago in Goch, just over the border!

Old November 3rd 05, 05:16 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Catherine wrote:

Catherine, my twin sister (temporarily living in China)

How interesting! I've always wanted to visit there. What does she
think of it?

She liked her first year there quite a bit, but she's not so crazy about
the two years yet to go. Her almost-grown sons are still in France (they
live there, since DBIL is French), her house and her friends are all in
France. It's been difficult for her, but she'll make it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old November 3rd 05, 05:18 PM
Julia in MN

Kate Dicey wrote:
Catherine wrote:
Eek. The rotary cutter? Are you sure? I read here this morning a
lady was attacked and severely injured by a cutter-gone-wild. She
ended up in hospital with stitches. 0_0

For some it's a rite of passage... For others, it's a No Go area! So
far I have used my rotary cutters successfully for over 5 years and not
yet managed to cut myself. They really are the best way to cut quilt
bits accurately.

I've been safely using a rotary cutter for more than 10 years without an
accident. And I've been using a sewing machine for 50 years or so and
have never sewn through my finger. Accidents like that are not inevitable.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 3rd 05, 05:49 PM
Catherine

Patti wrote:

The English Paper Piecing is what I described in my earlier post,
Catherine.
Try Googling for English Paper Piecing?

D'oh. *smacks self in head* Right. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm usually not this stupid. Really. I'm just kinda overwhelmed at
the moment. It'll pass.
Old November 3rd 05, 06:03 PM
Catherine

Jessamy wrote:

hiya Catherine,

welcome to the group :-D

Thanks!

Where in Germany do you live? (general location?) I live fairly close to the
German border near Venlo

Near Aachen. General location. Approximately 140 kilometers by car
from Venlo.