Damp Sponge Technique

Old January 15th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Naomah[_2_]

Default Damp Sponge Technique

Does anyone use a damp sponge on their floss before stitching?

Does it help the thread lay better and not twist so much?

I have heard of the technique but have never tried it.

Naomah
Old January 15th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
janice142

On Jan 15, 1:13*pm, Naomah wrote:
Does anyone use a damp sponge on their floss before stitching?

Does it help the thread lay better and not twist so much?

I use Thread Heaven -- it works and keeps silks and rayons from
snarling. For regular floss, works like a charm, AND is easier to
thread through the needle's eye. I wouldn't be without it! It's the
best $3 or so I've ever spent for ease of stitching.

Not sure about water on a sponge -- my first thought would be "isn't
that going to attract dust?" followed next by, "I wonder if this floss
is color-fast" ... those are my thoughts. Good luck and happy
stitching Naomah.
Old January 16th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Naomah says...
Does anyone use a damp sponge on their floss before stitching?

Does it help the thread lay better and not twist so much?

I have heard of the technique but have never tried it.

I can't speak about water and cotton floss. I've used a damp sponge with
rayon thread and it made a big difference in how the rayon behaved. If
you're worried about colors bleeding, do a test before making a
committment.

My floss dampening kit is made up of a triangular wedge make up sponge
and the top of a plastic container. I like this type of sponge better
than a kitchen sponge because it's softer.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 16th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
janice142

On Jan 16, 7:46*am, anne wrote:

My floss dampening kit is made up of a triangular wedge make up sponge
and the top of a plastic container. I like this type of sponge better
than a kitchen sponge because it's softer.

I use bits of ... what's it called? Okay, you know those gizmos you
tuck between your toes when you're painting your toenails? I took one
and use the betweenspreader bits to cover the tips of my finer
scissors. Not sure if it helps per se, but rather suspect so. And that
way too I can reach into the drawer without worrying about stabbing
myself.
Old January 21st 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lrdavis

I almost always run my floss over a damp sponge before stitching with
it. It is almost like ironing it....no creases. I have no idea if it
really helps with knotting, or with making the stitches look better but
it has become a habit. I did take a class years ago with Linda Driskell
and she swore by this method.

Lynn in Lancaster PA

Old January 21st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sandy[_2_]

I always dampen my floss. It does help a tremendous amount with
knotting, I rarely have problems with that anymore. Also, when you run
your fingers down the dampened floss, it flattens the 2 threads side
by side so they lay nicer and not twisted. You get much better
coverage this way. The thread dries very quickly, so there's no
problems there. IMHO, this is the best stitching tip of all.

Sandy in NE PA

Old January 21st 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Just remember that damp sponges are mold breeding grounds. Make sure, if
you like using a sponge, to keep it very clean and to let it dry out.

Railroading solves the two threads twisting up onto each other.
Knotting has to do with the normal twisting you do as you stitch. You
have to let your needle hang loose every once in awhile to unwind (or
wind back up, depending upon how you stitch and the stitches you are
stitching - each causes a different reaction).

Dianne

Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/smf
Old January 22nd 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Just remember that damp sponges are mold breeding grounds. Make sure, if
you like using a sponge, to keep it very clean and to let it dry out.

Or microwave it regularly to kill them all.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 22nd 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Dianne Lewandowski says...
Railroading solves the two threads twisting up onto each other.

Please define railroading or point me to a place that explains it.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 22nd 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

anne wrote:
Dianne Lewandowski says...

Railroading solves the two threads twisting up onto each other.

Please define railroading or point me to a place that explains it.

Railroading is when you hold the threads down across the place where you
want to enter the fabric and insert the needle into the fabric with one
strand on each side of it. In cross stitching, this keeps the threads
from twisting as you stitch. It takes some thought, but not much more
time and creates an even look.

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/railroad.html

Elizabeth

OFF TOPIC - my toes still feel damp, but we made it Cheryl Isaak Needlework 12 June 14th 06 01:05 AM
How to build a damp room JoePotter Pottery 3 November 11th 05 01:25 PM
Sponge Bars EdwinHannay Machine Knit 1 October 22nd 05 08:14 AM
Sponge Bob fabric? SunnyQuilt Quilting 7 November 1st 04 12:55 AM
Sponge Bar Jackie Machine Knit 2 June 16th 04 10:52 PM