OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"?

Old August 29th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Default OT Fixing Tricia

lol you are not slow! it took me over 5 years to get used to living where I
do now - just a new neighbourhood it wasn't till I got kids that things
improved :-S

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
I also think going to guild meetings won't really help make a lot of new
friends. You need to get involved in the guild with committees and
workshops so you have a one to one contact with people. The meetings are
just too busy to have any meaningful conversation with anyone and many
people only get to see their guild friends at the meetings. So they are
busy catching up with them, rather than meeting new people. This is a
problem in every guild, no matter how many hospitality committees or door
greeters you appoint. If the guild puts small groups (bees) together, you
might check into signing up for one of those if you're interested. I don't
know how long you've lived there, but "I" think it takes about two years in
a new place before things start to feel like home. Maybe I'm a slow
adjuster.
KJ

Old August 29th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default OT Fixing Tricia WAS OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"?

I couldn't possibly have joined in the 'appearance' parts of this thread
(I am considerably older than you so no help at all!).
However, the job interview part I hope I might be able to help with your
viewpoint.
When one really likes the sound of a job, and feels comfortable at the
interview etc, it is the more disheartening not to get the job -
especially if you know you could do it and be very good at it - and
*why* didn't they realise that?
When I used to interview, and had to send rejection letters or telephone
people, I used to try to gently explain that (i) five other well-suited
people didn't get the job either! and, more important (ii) the
interviewers know the job, know the other people you would have to work
with or report to, and know the atmosphere of the place. They have to
weigh up, as far as it is possible, whether the person will not just do
the job well, but will fit into the existing framework. You must have
heard of people who have been thrilled to be appointed to a post, only
to write a resignation two weeks later. Interviewers, believe it or
not!, also want new employees to be happy and fit in with the place. To
quote again my old stand-by metaphor the jig-saw piece: there's nothing
wrong with the piece, and nothing wrong with the jig-saw, but if it is
the wrong piece for that spot, nothing will make it the right piece.
Chin up. The right post will come eventually.
..
In message . com,
Tricia writes
snipped
The job I interviewed for (and at least this time I *got* an interview
-- so many times this past year I've just gotten a rejection letter
without even the benefit of an interview) was a part time secretary in
the open computer lab/testing center on the campus of the college DH
teaches at. It would have been doing secretarial stuff as well as
being available to assist if needed with the computer lab. I worked in
a computer lab most my college career, even being student supervisor
for a few years and running the lab. I really wanted this job, more
than any other I've applied for in the last year -- it is hitting kind
of hard that I haven't gotten it. I really thought things went well,
except for nearly walking into a glass panel next to the open door as I
was turning around to leave the office (I hadn't realized I was so far
back -- I didn't bang into it but it was close. My mind was on the
interview, not where I was going *blush*).

snipped
I lost the point of what I was saying.....
Tricia

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 29th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jenn/Jalynne

There are some really great foundations out there now that don't feel so
gross. Like Bare Minerals or Nearly Naked....those are the two best that
I've found so far. I hate the confining feeling most of the others give.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...
"Tricia" wrote in
@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

JustJoanQuilts wrote:
I have always said I don't like
wearing it but in reality, I was just never any good at it so gave up
on it.

That's familiar...thanks for sharing that I'm not alone in this.

Tricia

I think the really yuky part of make up is the foudation. That's feels
ugh.
I only wear that at night, but a bit of eye shadow & eyeliner & lipstick
is
what I feel comfortable with.

Old August 29th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default O.T. question for R.Z.

Howdy!

Roberta, would you please email me?
Somehow I've lost your "real" addy and I'm not getting thru'.
It's a Twilight Zone/Internet thing; I'm lost.

Thanks!
R/S eltex @ sbcglobal.net

On 8/29/06 7:57 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Sandy, I've seen you and you're beautiful!
Tricia, here's a (((hug))). You've been sounding more and more cheerful as
this thread continues, but if you still need a lift, get hold of all the
books in the "Ladies' #1 Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall Smith.
I simply love the description of the "traditionally built" main character
and her absolute confidence in herself!
Roberta in D, who once would have committed a serious crime in return for
thick red hair

"Sandy Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Howdy!

[[[[[Tricia]]]]]

Old August 29th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Alexander McCall Smith (was OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to LOOK LIKE a "woman" rather than a "girl"?)

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message

Tricia, here's a (((hug))). You've been sounding more and more cheerful as
this thread continues, but if you still need a lift, get hold of all the
books in the "Ladies' #1 Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall
Smith. I simply love the description of the "traditionally built" main
character and her absolute confidence in herself!

Yes, quite a fun read, those. And a great morale booster! I love the main
character's philosophy of life.

Just to brag here, I have tickets to hear AMS speak on September 27.
(http://www.californialectures.org/programs.html) I'm quite looking forward
to it!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 29th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Gosh, I just love those books!

I lived in Botswana and it is just so .... botswana!

Cheers for now
Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa
. net...

Old August 29th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Mary Kay will take products back. PAT

mini Mini wrote:

Ok. never mind! but it is surprising to be able to return make up. Usually
that is a no no.
In case you are curious.... www.sephora.com BE CAFEFUL!! You might get
lost in there! ;o)
There is a tips & tricks section, with video, but remember they are using
WAY more make up than you or I should even consider!!

Old August 29th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

According to experts in culture shock, 18 months to 2 years is right on the
button for adjustment time.
Culture shock really has nothing to do with culture. Your brain normally
filters out nearly everything going on in the world around you (traffic
noise, people passing by, normal odors etc.) unless you focus on it. That's
because there is so much sensory information that if you had to concentrate
on all of it, you would have no time for anything at all. The brain filter
deals with all that stuff on autopilot, unless there's some danger signal.
When you move to a new place, your brain has to rewire itself and make a new
filter. Meanwhile you plunge into your new life and try to do everything at
once and don't understand why you're so tired all the time. The average
person can be a tourist (who sees all the sights and tries to do everything)
for about 2 weeks. Then there's usually a period of feeling very down for up
to 6 months. Followed by up and down cycles until your brain is back in gear
and you reach adjustment. The "cure" is to do less, spend some time on the
couch with a pot of tea and a good book, make sure you get extra sleep.
Roberta in D

"KJ" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
(clipped) I don't
know how long you've lived there, but "I" think it takes about two years
in a new place before things start to feel like home. Maybe I'm a slow
adjuster.
KJ

"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...
"Tricia" wrote in
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Pics are in -- had to use a different account than the one I wanted
to...oh well....I don't know if it is color true or not in the pictures
so in the outfit one -- waist down is all navy not black.

Tricia

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chirparrooo/my_photos

I think you look great. Your hands & nails are gorgeous (but you should
cut
them all the same lenght) & I'm sure you were just feeling yuky when you
wrote your first message.

As for damp hair at the interview: I'm convinced you look perfectly fine
&
that is not the problem the getting the job. But if you blow dry your
hair it will look much neater & less fly away.

volunteering: I see you said you do volunteer work but it sounds like
the work you are doing is all individual work. You need to work on a
team/comittee. If you are doing database & web sites you are working
alone
and won't mmet ppl.

As for the guild: I would say try again, but if it's really not what you
want/expect, don't force yourself to go.

(hugs)

Old August 29th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Tricia, YW! You do not have to post the
photos to us. I just think it would be a
fun idea for your private collection.
Good Luck! PAT

Tricia wrote:

Egads -- ya'll want photos. Ouch!

Thanks Pat,
Tricia

Old August 29th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

That is sooooooo easy to say.... Just moved--there are boxes that need
unpacking, PO's to contact, utilities to make sure are off/on, PPL to
contact with new addys,
(schools to contact), Drs (etc) to find, learning where everything
is........and they want you to RELAX TAKE TIME TO DRINK TEA ETC???? like
WHEN?????

Sure can tell THEY haven't moved very often. Nope, even after 41 times I
still do NOT have it down pat...but I DO KNOW we now need HELP to move--no
more doing it on our own.

One thing that REALLY REALLY helped with this move was having RCTQ ongoing
as normal Taking time to 'keep up with friends' sure helped...so make sure
that compie is hooked up PRONTO.

Butterfly (who is so very fortunate to already 'know' Pati and Jeanbaby here
__I know of Kitty but haven't seen her post since I moved--are you still out
there?______ and has a great neighbor even tho we haven't met his wife as of
yet--she works crazy hours