OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"?

Old August 29th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Alexander McCall Smith (was OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to LOOK LIKE a "woman" rather than a "girl"?)

Now I'll think of you every time I read one! (Better get my indigo quilt
done so I can wrap myself up in it while I read! *grin*)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Tutu Haynes-Smart" wrote in message
Gosh, I just love those books!

I lived in Botswana and it is just so .... botswana!

Cheers for now
Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. net...

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message

Tricia, here's a (((hug))). You've been sounding more and more cheerful
as this thread continues, but if you still need a lift, get hold of all
the books in the "Ladies' #1 Detective Agency" series by Alexander
McCall Smith. I simply love the description of the "traditionally built"
main character and her absolute confidence in herself!

Yes, quite a fun read, those. And a great morale booster! I love the main
character's philosophy of life.

Just to brag here, I have tickets to hear AMS speak on September 27.
(http://www.californialectures.org/programs.html) I'm quite looking
forward to it!

Old August 29th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" ratherthan a "girl"?

About moisturizer. Look for one with Sun
Screen. Usually SPF 15, but you may even
find a SPF 30. Sun is NOT your
complexion's friend.
About Powder. I like the cream-to-powder
for very light coverage. I use powder
blush, very lightly, too. I 'finish' it
all off with a large dry brush. I am
fortunate to have really good skin, and
I am careful with Skin Care Routine.
The most posh cosmetics in the world
won't compensate for careless Skin Care.
PAT

Kate Dicey wrote:
Tricia wrote:
When I
did have a little help at the Satin Hands thing with MK, I discovered
that they don't have a liquid foundation near enough to my coloring so
the gal had me order a powder that comes very close -- however, I can't
seem to apply it right or something -- it is always noticable -- I
look, well, dusty (and I try to buff a lot to take most of it off so
it isn't caked on -- at least that's the intent). I think a liquid
would be easier to control.

With powder I tend to use a latex foam pad, and wipe on/off just a very
little. You need to choose a powder that is just a shade LIGHTER than
your natural colour, and blend the edges. Worst thing in the world is a
hard orange edge along the jaw line!

If you cannot find a tinted moisturiser you like, but you find a
foundation the right colour, just mix a little in to a dab of your
favourite moisturiser and use it like that.

Old August 29th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Tricia wrote:

I have heard that a lot! (the mascara thing). Does anyone here from
the states know off hand if the Visage is available stateside? When I
[...]

Just buy a little, some good cleanser that suits your skin, and some
decent brushes (make up artists use sable paint brushes, not 'make-up'
brushes!) and have fun!

Hmm..other than the brushes that come with, I've only ever owned a
separate brush and that's usually been for attempting to apply powder.

Even GOOD artists paint brushes are cheaper and better than most make-up
brushes! Treat yourself to a few.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 29th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Tricia, YW!

eh?

You do not have to post the
photos to us. I just think it would be a
fun idea for your private collection.
Good Luck! PAT

Posted temporarily at
least...http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chirparrooo/my_photos

Not so sure my face likes some of this at the moment....have to see
once I cool down (it got warm here today for the time of year) if it
feels any better....

Tricia

Old August 29th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

Many states publish their core curriculae on the web. New York State
has a core only for Math so far, but they have the learning standards
in all subject areas.

If that doesn't work, you should make a Freedom of Information request
for the curriculum even if you don't need it right now.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On 29 Aug 2006 07:03:22 -0700, "Tricia"
wrote:

A big slam to my sense of worthwhileness came about a week ago: My big
tutoring lead this year so far has fallen apart because I am not
familiar with local school's exact curriculum in the middle school --
hard to become familiar with something when the school doesn't
cooperate, despite requests for information. I've actually been given
the brush off by the assistant principal when I inquired as to local
middle school curriculum for the homeschooling I was doing last spring.

Anyway, it's one big sense of I can't do anything right these days.

I lost the point of what I was saying.....
Tricia

Old August 30th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Tricia wrote:
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Tricia, YW!

eh?

You do not have to post the
photos to us. I just think it would be a
fun idea for your private collection.
Good Luck! PAT

Posted temporarily at
least...http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chirparrooo/my_photos

Not so sure my face likes some of this at the moment....have to see
once I cool down (it got warm here today for the time of year) if it
feels any better....

Tricia

Hm... You're a tad 'all one colour', if you see what I mean... Just
need a sharper haircut that doesn't broaden the face (try layers, with a
bit of lift on top, and something that cut in at jaw level to help give
you some definition between face and neck, and possibly some
highlights), and a bit more colour for eyes and brows.

If you don't want to bother much with make-up, try getting your lashes
and brows dyed. And try a peachy lippy rather than a bluer red.

My face suddenly looked a LOT better when I changed my specs for smaller
ones! I wanted the type that had no rims at all, but they looked odd on
me, so I have very slim frames that go round the top only and are gold
(the silver ones were too pale). I also went for much squarer frames
than I thought I ever would. I took my son and a pal with me to help
choose: I knew they would both be totally honest. My el cheapo
spare specs also look great: fairly tiny with purple rims! I look
on specs are 'face jewelery': I wear them all the time so they HAVE to
look good!

Old August 30th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Tricia wrote:

Wow! thanks. Okay, I do own (although they are old) eyeshadow in a
nice collection of browns and greens (I have hazel eyes), a brown
eyeliner pencil (somewhere...that one probably does need replacing) and
a lipstick color that honestly is too wrong for my coloring for daily
wear but dramatic for nightwear -- oh, and a nice goldish/peach
lipgloss.

STOP RIGHT THERE!!! If the makeup is "old" throw it out. It is a
wonderful breeding ground for bacteria and that is definitely something
you do NOT want to have to deal with!!
I don't even know where to start with my eyebrows. I don't
think they are unruly growth wise -- just extremely light -- except for
the errant dark brown hairs that show up now and then.

Let a professional deal with them, or at least guide you in the right
direction. If you try to do it yourself with no advice, you will either
make them too dark (with an eyebrow pencil) or you will make them
disappear completely - btdt, don't mess with mine anymore.

Nails are growing the last few years for the first time in my life (the
positive side of the hormone issue). I finally found my nailfile (had
temporarily been using one of those emery boards from a high end hotel
bathroom kit) and curved off the edges last night. They aren't a
uniform length but they appear to be healthy. I rarely polish them
because I usually make a mess with the polish but every so often I try
it.

I got my wardrobe colors good. I'm comfortable with that. I can't
always find what I want but I no longer buy the stuff that really isn't
my coloring anymore -- least not in dress up clothes.

Shoes -- every day wear is a pair of new balance gym shoes (tennis
shoes, whatever they are called nowadays). They were doctor
recommended for support. Dressy I have two pairs of Mushrooms, modest
heel -- navy blue and ivory/cream.

Thanks mini Mini! That was a lot to process....

Tricia

Old August 30th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Tricia wrote:

I didn't know until the suggestions here that make up people at
department stores did makeovers for free.....of course, I don't spend
much time in department stores *blush*

Thanks for the advice....I got my hair cut last back in mid-June (just
before my grandfather passed) and went from long to a bob between my
chin and my shoulders and the response I got from a lot of people was
really positive. I like the style, I just dont' know how often to have
it cut.

Tricia

My stylist (actually a friend from church who did a great job when she
first cut my hair and who I've been going to ever since) suggests every
4-6 weeks to keep the hair in the same style. Now, you might be a bit
different since my hair is long and curly (now that I let her cut long
layers in it and eliminate a LOT of frizzy bulk). I would check and see
with somebody you trust to do your hair
Old August 30th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Yes they will!!! DH bought me an entire package once - tried it at one
of the meetings (friend was a new consultant) and I loved it. However,
I had gone ot the meeting when I was pregnant with DD, got the kit for
my birthday in December....totally different hormonal whackjob there.
Did the entire thing and was itching so bad I was barely able to show
Hubby before I had to run and scrub it all off. Called friend and she
was totally flabbergasted, but agreed to take the stuff back. I did,
however, keep the lipstick - only area of my face that *didn't* itch was
my lips!

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Mary Kay will take products back. PAT

mini Mini wrote:

Ok. never mind! but it is surprising to be able to return make up.
Usually that is a no no. In case you are curious.... www.sephora.com
BE CAFEFUL!! You might get lost in there! ;o)
There is a tips & tricks section, with video, but remember they are
using WAY more make up than you or I should even consider!!

Old August 30th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Be a bit careful about volunteering in some situations VBG That is
how I ended up being President-elect and President of one of the quilt
groups I attend...... and after only about 2 meetings. BG But I know
people now (or at least they know me....)

Pati, in Phx who agrees that volunteering is a great way to meet people.

Sally Swindells wrote:
Its not just the big volunteering opportunities. I seem to be the
expert in our Church Hall/Community Hall kitchen! Helping with the
coffee at meetings is a brilliant way to meet people, and they always
find getting people to volunteer difficult.

You just say 'Do you need any help' and you don't have to ask twice,
and chatting over the washingup afterwards is great for breaking the
ice. Sounds mundane, but it works, and every group you join drink
coffee!.

Gently snipped.....