Dye disaster

Old January 23rd 05, 01:50 AM
maryd

Default Dye disaster

I like it tho it sure doesn't look very dusty pink to me.... dusty yes, pink
no.

--
Mary
"dogsnus" wrote in message
: I've dyed this particular color twice now with these results:
: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...es/DyeMess.jpg
: Now,I don't know about anyone else,but it looks puke green to me.
: The color is is supposed to be?
:
: Dusty Pink.That's right.PINK.
:
: Okay,there's a scant,faded amount of vaguish looking sickly pink in there
: somewhere,but what in the name of Carrie's Corset is causing it to look so
: green not once,but twice? I've triple checked my amounts of water,
: dye,soda ash and the water was the right temperature.
:
: Any dye experts like to take a shot at this,before I shoot it and put
: it out of it's misery?
:
: Terri
:
:
:
: --
: The other night I was lying on my bed, looking up at the beautiful stars,
and
: I said to myself, 'where the HECK is my ROOF? !!'
:

Old January 23rd 05, 04:35 AM
Ginger in CA

Dunno, but Sandy/Ragmop likes green. Right, Raggs??? ))))

Old January 23rd 05, 05:07 AM
Ginger in CA

))))))))))
Raggmop in TX likes green. Uh-huh, remember Sandy?

Ginger in CA
(who kinda likes that color, it would be a good blender on landscape
quilts, and reminds me of new growth green in the spring-time!

Old January 23rd 05, 05:09 AM
Ginger in CA

))))))))
Raggmop in TX likes green. Remember, Sandy?
Ginger in Ca
aka Ink Princess

Old January 23rd 05, 05:16 AM
Carolyn McCarty

It may not be pink, but I like it. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
Please email me with price, I'll pay postage. Always on the lookout for fun
fabric, and this looks like a good one!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old January 23rd 05, 09:27 AM
sharonoz

Well I reckon that's as pink as my pattoottie! But gosh it's a
gorgeous green isn't it? Y'all know where to send it if you don't need
it! LOL Perhaps pick up a bottle of green dye to get pink?
Sharon in Melbourne Australia (posting through google for a change)

Old January 23rd 05, 01:54 PM
\Pussywillow\ Volfie

"dogsnus" wrote in message
I've dyed this particular color twice now with these results:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...es/DyeMess.jpg
Now,I don't know about anyone else,but it looks puke green to me.
The color is is supposed to be?

Dusty Pink.That's right.PINK.

Okay,there's a scant,faded amount of vaguish looking sickly pink in there
somewhere,but what in the name of Carrie's Corset is causing it to look so
green not once,but twice? I've triple checked my amounts of water,
dye,soda ash and the water was the right temperature.

Any dye experts like to take a shot at this,before I shoot it and put
it out of it's misery?

Terri

What materials are the dye pot/tools? Some sorts of metals react with dyes
in odd ways, don't they?

The only other thing I can think of is to read the back of the bottle and
see if there is a 1-800 number listed for questions.

Giselle (not a chemist but I seem to recall warnings about such things like
aluminum pots and such...)

Old January 23rd 05, 03:05 PM
Roberta Zollner

Nope, definitely not pink, no idea why, but if you hate it I could use it in
my next mosaic quilt! It's a great marble!
Roberta in D

Old January 23rd 05, 04:35 PM
Debra

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:54:09 -0500, "\"Pussywillow\" Volfie"
wrote:

"dogsnus" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, there is some sort of unwanted reaction going on. The culprit is
probably either the container it was dyed in, the utensil used for
stirring the dye, or the mineral content in the water that was used.
It could also be the finish on the fabric if it wasn't pre-washed, or
soap or fabric softener residue if the fabric was pre-washed. Sure
looks cool even though it didn't turn out right.

Debra in VA