can we talk about quality findings and components? (long)

Old September 24th 03, 07:08 PM
Lee S. Billings

In article xKicb.570336$uu5.93923@sccrnsc04,
says...

Is silk cord that much better than the nice colored cotton cord I just found
that looks like the silk cord necklace that was selling for $100 in a little
boutique here?

Silk is stronger than cotton -- but it will stretch. Before stringing something
on silk, wet your fingers in water and pull the silk thru them. I'd advise
practicing on things you don't mean to sell until you get the hang of getting
the stretch out; there's nothing more discouraging than finishing a lovely
knotted piece, wearing it a couple of times, and then discovering that the
beads are now loose between the knots. :-(

It does bother me a little that I buy sterling beads and findings but they
don't have the quality sterling stamp on them that I was taught to look for
and rely on when working at the jewelry store. Wondering if I can get a
little sterling stamp to put on my handmade sterling clasps? Maybe
microstamp has that (note to self.)

Check with a professional about this; ISTR hearing that there are a bunch of
hoops you have to jump thru in order to be able to put a sterling stamp on
anything. It's a good idea, but you don't want to get in trouble by doing it!

I'm bummed to hear that lobster claws are not necessarily a good thing to
use. I have about 30 of them on various pieces. And I bought this really
expensive sterling barrel clasp for one of my nicer peyote tube necklaces...
bummer again to hear that we should never use them. Maybe I should put a
safety chain on the necklace then too?

This is definitely a matter of opinion. I use lobster clasps all the time, and
have never had a problem with them. Where did you FIND a sterling barrel clasp?
I've looked everywhere for those, and can't find anything but plated!

Safety chains aren't a bad idea, if you want to go to the extra trouble. I'd be
more likely to use them on a bracelet than a necklace, though.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat

Old September 24th 03, 07:10 PM
Shirley Shone

Do not hold it in the flame too long or it will melt.
Shirley

In article , vj
writes
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from uppies (Dr.
Sooz) :

]It's the point at which you lose your nerve (mettle) when trying to anneal
]something. ;-)
]
]Oh, you're GOOD.

second!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books)
http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

--
Shirley Shone

Old September 24th 03, 08:49 PM
Deirdre S.

I've seen this recommended before, and it makes a lot of sense to
me...

Deirdre

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:18:57 -0800, "Kellie Robinson"
wrote:

I do double crimp, but I do it in a
decorate way, for instance, crimp, nice bead, crimp and then the clasp.
this way it looks like part of the design. or even better, crimp, nice
bead, crimp, nice bead and then the clasp. you can see a bad picture of one
of my double crimps he
http://www.kelliesklay.com/dblcrimp.jpg

Old September 24th 03, 08:52 PM
Deirdre S.

I just got a *video* of Tim McCreight demo-ing the stuff from The
Complete Metalsmith from the local library system.

It is wonderful. I heartily recommend it to anyone whose library
system can provide. And if it isn't available, see if your system is
like the one a used to work for ... where new purchases were driven by
patron requests...

And there is always InterLibrary Loan.

Deirdre

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:27:55 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

The gospel according to Tim McCreight (The Complete Metalsmith, revised
edition)

Old September 24th 03, 08:54 PM
Deirdre S.

I'll drink to that...

Deirdre

On 24 Sep 2003 16:34:51 GMT, atspam (Sjpolyclay)
wrote:

And working makes us *all* stronger, not just the wires!!

Old September 24th 03, 08:59 PM
Deirdre S.

What are these?

Deirdre

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:48:20 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

I also love EZ-lok's but again they're quite expensive in
comparison.

Old September 24th 03, 09:23 PM
Carol in SLC

To open it, you just grasp the stirrup and push it down at the pad til it
slips out. The spring is strong so it's very firm.

Those sound really cool, Karen. I'm not sure I've ever seen them before.

Carol in SLC
eBay auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2660224844
(click on "view seller's other Items")
Old September 24th 03, 09:29 PM
Deirdre S.

I -do- have the Rio catalog, as of last week. Yay!

I'll go and look, cuz I don't think I made much sense of your
description, I'm afraid.

Deirdre

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:20:40 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

EZ Lok's are a nifty clasp. If you have a Rio Grande catalog (2002-2003),
you can see them on page 164, item T & U. I'll try to describe them, but
please bear with me. G

The "catch" end is stirrup-shaped....like a U closed at the top, with a
smaller ring for attachment. It's cast, so there are no seams to break. The
clasp end is a teardrop shape with a small lower loop as the attachment
point, the larger loop is a hook from the base, up and over, then stops. The
other side come up to meet it, with a pad that's spring-loaded. To close the
clasp, you just push the stirrup part AT the join between the pad and the
hook. The pad will move down then spring back. To open it, you just grasp

Old September 24th 03, 09:37 PM
Kandice Seeber

Here are my personal preferences and experiences -

I love Soft Flex for stringing. I usually use .14 or .19 thicknesses. I
have also used .10 Soft Touch (same company) for more delicate stringing. I
like the way this brand drapes, and it is very durable, with no kinking.
Tiger Tail kinks really easily, and does not drape well. It's really good
for practicing, though.
I have not used Fireline - not out of any preference or anything, I just
have not used it yet. I have used stretch magic, which is a fun way to make
stretchy bracelets for kids. It will break, but it takes a pretty darn
strong pull to do so.
Silk is fabulous - really strong. And can give you a delicate, pretty look
while still being durable. I have never used cotton as a stringing material
before. Leather works really well with some things as well.
As far as findings, I like sterling silver and copper. I also love pewter
toggles - they have some really pretty ones outt here. I am not as fond of
cast sterling. Sterling does tarnish, but I keep a silver polishing cloth
handy for cleaning.
I prefer toggle clasps more than any other clasp, but the only ones I have
found that break on a regular basis are the barrel clasps. I have gone away
from using lobsters, mostly because I like a more decorative clasp.
I don't use gold - mostly because I don't like the look. That is pure
personal preference though. I love silver and copper and some pewter.
The wire wrappers will tell you why hammering makes it stronger - all I know
is that it's true.
I know you didn't ask, but I will say that I *love* Swarovski crystal and
Czech firepolished beads. I also love Czech pressed glass flowers.
And of course, lampwork.

Good luck!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Thought maybe we could start this discussion anew... I'm sure you "oldies"
have gone over this stuff a bunch of times for us "newbies", but I'm

loving
the little nuggets I'm picking up in the other thread - just not loving

the
sifting through it to find them...

so, please, tell us or comment on:

What are the best stringing materials?

Is tigertail ok to use? I like how easy it is, but don't love it when it
gets a bend in it (say if my 3 year old gets his little paws on it - I may
have to restring it if he crunches it.) I'm now worried about the first
crimps I used - they may have been sterling, but they may have been base
metal. Recent crimp purchases have all been sterling and I think they got
mixed in. My feeling has been put two crimps on because I just don't trust
this tiny little piece of metal to hold it all together anyway...

How about Fireline? I find this great when working with seed beads, but

not
so much for heavier beads... maybe if I doubled it.

Is silk cord that much better than the nice colored cotton cord I just

found
that looks like the silk cord necklace that was selling for $100 in a

little
boutique here?

I personally have moved away from all base metal findings - not so much
because they won't last as long but because I was reading in my feng shui
book that certain metals bring bad juju to us, so we should make sure all
the jewelry we wear is made with quality metals - I agree with that, and
don't want to bring anyone bad juju. So far my acceptable list includes:
sterling, copper, and pewter. Maybe someday I will get into gold, but for
now that is too expensive for where I am and I don't like gold filled
things - I used to work in a jewelry store and always felt gold filled was
"cheap" compared to the "fine" jewelry we sold.

It does bother me a little that I buy sterling beads and findings but they
don't have the quality sterling stamp on them that I was taught to look

for
and rely on when working at the jewelry store. Wondering if I can get a
little sterling stamp to put on my handmade sterling clasps? Maybe
microstamp has that (note to self.)

I'm bummed to hear that lobster claws are not necessarily a good thing to
use. I have about 30 of them on various pieces. And I bought this really
expensive sterling barrel clasp for one of my nicer peyote tube

necklaces...
bummer again to hear that we should never use them. Maybe I should put a
safety chain on the necklace then too? I'm feeling though in my gut that

no
clasp or finding is really completely safe. I have fine heirloom jewelry
with clasps that open sometimes... and sterling clasps that bend or even

my
new hook type clasps that can come undone.... button closures slip off
pretty easy too... so... Lobster claws are the only thing I've ever used
that has never failed me personally in my 30+ years of wearing jewelry

(not
necessarily making it.)

And one final question I've been wondering about... why does hammering

wire
make it stronger??? I will hopefully find this out in my jewelry class

that
starts Thursday, but I have been wondering the why's of this.

Thanks
Pam

Old September 24th 03, 09:39 PM
Kandice Seeber

ROFLAMO

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Karen, I'm confused -- what's "metling"?

It's the point at which you lose your nerve (mettle) when trying to anneal
something. ;-)

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs