more pics and descriptions added

Old September 21st 03, 05:00 AM
Dr. Sooz

Well I thought if I was shopping at a local bead store or the bead stores
online that I was buying acceptable materials.

If you're buying online ---?? Do you have any idea how many bead merchants are
selling online?

If it is crap, why do they sell
it?

Because elementary school kids play with beads too. BTW, base metal findings
sell like crazy to hobbyist beaders. Most bead stores don't like carrying base
metal findings (well, at least my LBS doesn't), but they have to because demand
is high.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 21st 03, 05:00 AM
Dr. Sooz

Should I question all the items I look at at the
bead store?

YES. Yes, you definitely should. Why are you going into business selling
handmade jewelry if you don't know the answers to all these questions?
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 21st 03, 05:02 AM
Dr. Sooz

And I can't afford expensive "parts" so I try to buy quality without
spending what I don't have.

If so, then you're a flea market jeweler, or a hobbyist, usually.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 21st 03, 05:03 AM
Dr. Sooz

Should I question all the items I look at at the
bead store? I think I have bought nice things and I know a lot of what I buy
is
the same thing they use in the jewelry classes and such at the store.

You should know what they are, at least. And what you can expect of them. All
I'm saying is this: You don't seem to know enough about your materials.
Wouldn't you much rather know your stuff before you go out and face the world
with this merchandise?
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 21st 03, 07:28 PM
Dr. Sooz

]Does your stuff fall apart three months later?

not that i'm aware of. but your post was a reply to my message, so i
became confuzzled.......

It was? (I wasn't talking about YOU!)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 22nd 03, 01:27 AM
Kandice Seeber

Lots of really good points here, and here's my opinion. The market is jam
packed full of people making jewelry out of mediocre components and selling
it. To be successful in the handmade jewelry market these days, it's good
to have jewelry that is high quality and unique. Have something that the
average jewelry maker doesn't have - high quality. People selling at craft
fairs and at flea markets tend to (not all, but most) have inexpensive,
cookie cutter items that aren't selling these days because there is so much
of it out there. Search the web (I used google.com) for handmade beaded
jewelry and there are over 75,000 websites. That's a LOT. Standing out is
really difficult. But to be successful and make money selling your handmade
crafts, you *have* to stand out in some way. My advice is this:

Develop one particular skill and technique to the point that you can do it
beautifully and quickly. Put your own style into it.
Study your market - work hard at identifying your target group and find out
what gets their attention in a positive way.
If you're really serious, use the highest quality components you can, and
charge a fair price for your hard work.
It takes money to make money. You need to advertise, buy the right
components and spend a good amount of time marketing. It's not easy. But
if you love it, it's worth it.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Tell me what you think - some of the pieces don't thrill me much but it's

nice
to get feedback about what others like. And advice on how they are

displayed
on this website is also greatly appreciated.

www.stampinhappens.com/jewelry.html

Thanks!
Mary
Close To My Heart Consultant
www.stampinhappens.com
Mom to Aimee, dedicated college student
and Jacob, CP kid and aspiring mafia godfather

Old September 22nd 03, 01:48 AM
Kandice Seeber

Also, a quick note - you don't have to buy your components at retail from
the local bead store. You can get really good quality stuff at wholesale if
you shop at shows, online and via mail order. That helps cut costs a lot
while keeping the quality up.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Me, too Mary. And again, it's not to bring you down, but to give air

under
your wings.

You are excited about this new venture...why are you not as excited at
making it the best it can be?

Beleive it or not, bead stores sell "junk". They also sell fine items, so
you need to learn the difference between the two. I don't think that you
have done that yet.

Y'know those blue/bronze/gold beads that I mentioned that I had used?

Take
a look at the inside of them...many will have a white ring around the
hole...indication of poor quality, mass produced beads. Nothing wrong

with
mass production, just make sure it's GOOD production.

As to your point about you don't ask what an item is made of ... doesn't
matter. I ask. Others will ask. And if you can' t tell me

authoritatively
what materials you use, then you lose...at least my business. You are
representing yourself as a knowledgeable professional, and you should be
able to tell me how your products are made. These questions apply
everywhere that you are selling your product and presenting yourself as an
authority.

I know your name from several RS yahoogroups. You are a CTMH
consultant...can you tell the difference between good and poor quality
rubberstamps? If I ask you what makes CTMH a quality product (and I have

my
own opinion on whether or not it is, this is just for discussion) can you
tell me?

What makes a good rubber stamp? What type of wood is used for your
mountings? Does it makes a difference you know? Some companies use green
rubber...why is that? Is it inferior? Superior? I even bought stamps

that
are green glitter rubber...what's with that? Why are they made like that?

Why are CTMH stamps so much more expensive than others (just an example
question, i don't know if theyare)? Why are Magenta stamps viewed with
such awe as to be considered collectible? Why is the mounting cushion so
much thicker/thinner on some stamps?

Why are rubber stamps superior or inferior to polymer stamps?

Each of these questions can be reframed for your jewelry. When you can
answer these in the context of your jewelry (and your rubber stamps) then

think you will be more prepared to sell. When you can articulate what

makes
your jewelry and what makes your jewelry different/special, then you'll be
closer.

Since you are already established as a recorded tax paying company, that
part of business is already taken care of, you just have to set up a

similar
tracking system for your jewelry.

But do think about being the best you can be. It really ISN'T that much

more
expensive to use sterling findings, and good glass beads if that's the
avenue you want to take as opposed to gemstones.
"MBryt1" wrote in message
I'm starting to think you shouldn't be selling yet -- not til you know

better
what you're doing.

Thanks for your input.

Old September 22nd 03, 04:01 PM
Deirdre S.

Carol Brown, who died a few months ago, sold at the flea market. And
didn't survive long enough to have either the income or the confidence
to move into 'higher class' markets.

Are we to despise her posthumously because of that? Why did she have
our support while she was alive, since she was probably using
base-metal findings?

Deirdre

Old September 22nd 03, 06:20 PM
Christina Peterson

Nah, it's just a little below what one would wish ones friends to aspire to.

Tina

wrote:

And I can't afford expensive "parts" so I try to buy quality without
spending what I don't have.

If so, then you're a flea market jeweler, or a hobbyist, usually.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links