Craft Rooms

Old August 30th 03, 07:16 PM
Carol in SLC

I'm pretty good at at least appearing to work small.

LOL, Karen! That's definitely a quality I would like to assimilate!

Carol in SLC
New jewelry (8/28): http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/hoyt1.jpg
Old August 30th 03, 07:27 PM
Dr. Sooz

Also I find I go out there for my beads, and bring them to my desk to work
on them. I like being in the thick of things. I like having Pete near me,
watching TV (or whatever), with his back to me, etc. But near.

How many people with bead rooms do their beading in those rooms?

This is what I do. I drag all the stuff for a project down the hall to the
living room so I can be with Kevin, near food, TV, and computer. If I have
more than one project....uh oh. The living room starts to fill up.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old August 30th 03, 07:33 PM
Deirdre S.

Well, one of Genny's tapestry needles from her needlepoint got 'lost'
and poked a hole in the waterbed mattress.

I woke up in a puddle one morning, wondering whether *I* had sprung a
leak...

So 'safe' is relative...

Deirdre

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:48:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

Why can't I take up a nice safe hobby like embroidery or knitting?

Old August 30th 03, 07:33 PM
Dr. Sooz

]My idea is to get one of those
]armoire-type PC desks (or entertainment centers) and use THAT to store my
]beads.

**grin** you're definitely not thinking BIG enough!

Yeah, I was thinking, "Buy 4 of them!"
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old August 30th 03, 07:35 PM
Dr. Sooz

]Why can't I take up a nice safe hobby like embroidery or knitting?

I bet more people have been killed with knitting needles than with a torch.
;-)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old August 30th 03, 07:38 PM
CLP

Yeah, my house desire has always included a heeyouge glass covered room
(with solar operated electric shades, of course) which would contain a full
sized pool for year-round swimming, trees and plants, plants everywhere, a
work area for a wheel, kiln and teak (because of the pool, of course)
shelving (now to include glass space, ie vents, torches all the stuff I want
to learn) and a large area for yoga. Built in sound system of course, that
would some days play Muddy Waters, Santana, Sade or Delbert and some days
Akai flut or new age bird sounds. I figure, if I'm going to dream, I may as
well do it large or not bother.

It could happen
Christy

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
Dang - I knew that - aand I can't even blame any medications! I've been

following the oxygen/is lampworking safe in the house discussion. Must

have
been a senior moment.... sheesh

LOL We did talk, a few times, about setting up a room in the house, but
we're both too uneasy with that, especially since I use metals so often. I
really want a space that I can isolate ventilation-wise. When I was on a
spinning-dyeing craze years ago, part of my house-hunting criteria was

space
for a separate stove and sink...a mini-kitchen, because of the dyestuffs I
was using. NOT things you want in a food prep area, no matter now clean

you
think you are.

Why can't I take up a nice safe hobby like embroidery or knitting?

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 30th 03, 07:52 PM
Deirdre S.

This is my kind of fantasy.

Add it to the virtual bead-community space, please.

Deirdre

Old August 30th 03, 08:06 PM
CLP

I saw a show on extreme homes, or something like that - i think it was on
Discovery Channel, where a family who had - I think it was a mushroom
business- bought an abandoned school! It was so incredibly cool, their
dining room overlooked the full sized gym, where all the kids played
basketball, rode bikes; they had the full sized indoor pool, industrial
kitchen - think about it. Talk about storage space! Can you imagine?
What a rush! Now there is a dream house...

Old August 30th 03, 08:37 PM
Christina Peterson

Yours was one of the craft rooms I was thinking of. Having a room like
yours with the materials in them all organized is a treasure in itself. But
I was having a hard time imagining you keeping out from the middle of the
thick of things, whether you're working with your beads or not.

And how could you possibly resist hanging out where Kevin is. Aren't we
lucky to have sweethearts who are so joyful to be with! (Even when we or
they are physically uncomfortable).

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
Also I find I go out there for my beads, and bring them to my desk to

work
on them. I like being in the thick of things. I like having Pete near

me,
watching TV (or whatever), with his back to me, etc. But near.

How many people with bead rooms do their beading in those rooms?

This is what I do. I drag all the stuff for a project down the hall to

the
living room so I can be with Kevin, near food, TV, and computer. If I

have
more than one project....uh oh. The living room starts to fill up.

~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 30th 03, 10:04 PM
Christina Peterson

And also, you'd need the school janitor as part of the deal.

Tina

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:29:16 -0400, vj wrote
(in message ):

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "CLP" :

I saw a show on extreme homes, or something like that - i think it was

on
Discovery Channel, where a family who had - I think it was a mushroom
business- bought an abandoned school! It was so incredibly cool, their
dining room overlooked the full sized gym, where all the kids played
basketball, rode bikes; they had the full sized indoor pool, industrial
kitchen - think about it. Talk about storage space! Can you imagine?
What a rush! Now there is a dream house...

oh, wow! what a great idea!

It's a dream house only if you have unlimited funds. Our city sold off a
whole slew of unused schools in the 1980's, and a number of the new owners
found that the heating bills for such huge buildings was a nightmare.

I can believe it -- our 6 room, 1200 sf apartment (half a house) costs

about
$2,000 a year to heat. The smallest school that the city sold off had

nine
classrooms, two huge "cafetorium" rooms, and a big old boiler that sucked
down truckloads of #2 fuel oil. (It was the elementary school I attended

as
a kid)

Eventually, all the discarded buildings were converted to condominiums or
office buildings. These schools were all built in the late 1800s, so none

of
them had gyms, indoor pools, air conditioning and all the plumbing was
confined to the basement. OTOH, they all had incredible high ceilings,
lovely woodwork and brickwork, and huge windows to let in the light.

Of course, those folks living in friendlier climates might feel

differently.

Kathy N-V, not thrilled that "heating season" is about to start

Craft Club onebigheartmama Beads 0 July 19th 03 03:33 AM
FS Aleenes Craft Club Magazine DMVTREK Beads 0 July 17th 03 07:06 PM