While you stitch - who's watching the Olympics

Old August 12th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default While you stitch - who's watching the Olympics

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:19:54 GMT, ellice wrote:

It's a shame in many respects. But, also a sign of the general times in
that how would these athletes even staying basically amateur be supported to
train, live while preparing without allowing them some financial support.
It varies from sport to sport with what the international federations allow,
within the limits of the IOC. I hate having pros in hockey in the winter -
it stinks. Oh, well - it's still great to watch - if you follow sports.
And to appreciate all those lesser paid skilled athletes.

Too bad - what paper. The papers here have the full medal counts - though
depending you may have to find details inside the sports section.

Ellice

How was it done in the past? How much money do you think Phelps makes
annually, by contract with his endorsements? Did you see some on the
Chinese swim team with duct tape covering the Nike Swoosh or the
Speedo logo?

And in comparison (on the 'level playing field'), how much money do
competitors from less wealthy countries make? Athletes from the USA,
Australia, the UK, Canada, Holland etc etc have access to the finest
sports medicine, training methods and psychology in the world. Others
don't. Is that fair? (Just asking...)
Old August 12th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Jangchub wrote:

Oh for Pete's sake. I'm not sure which country is worse. I adore
horses and riding, but I am always so afraid if I watch a horse will
somehow get injured. When Barbero broke his leg I was unconsolable. I
refrained from watching till that sorrowful day when that beautiful
philly broke her ankles and had to be put down right there.

Yeah. A few years ago, a beautiful gelding, Triple Crown, broke both
fetlocks and was clearly shown galloping across the finish line behind
the winner on his broken fetlocks. It was *awful*! Can you tell I hate
horse racing?

Now the only horse shows I watch are on the RFD Satellite channel.
Now, for those hysterically laughing at me, I adore Mules. Big,
shiny, Asian eyed mules. They have special mule training shows.
That's my speed.

I'm partial to donkeys, meself. We have a few really good donkey rescue
places nearby and it's always a pleasure to visit their Nativity plays
at Christmas time. Of course, star billing goes to the Donkey, which I
think is quite OK. ;-D

I put something on my silly blog about Barbero a few months ago if you
care.

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

Page down to June 13th.

Good to see you Trish,
Victoria

GEEZ, Victoria! Your garden is AMAZING! It made me laugh out loud to see
yours and then think of mine! LOLOLOLOL! We've tried for years to get
things going, but we have a serious drainage problem (a natural
watercourse runs through our block) and so everything drowns in the
winter time. This year, my DH (who likes to think he is brighter than me
and, on occasion, is) suggested making garden beds built up to half a
metre to avoid the water problem. To this end, our back yard looks like
a wasteland as we dig and shovel and hoick dirt about. DH has built me
two beds already and we're busily filling them with soil from the
diggings. Once all that's done, we'll purchase some dirt from the
You-Beaut Dirt Shoppe and I'll finally be able to have the garden I've
dreamed of. The nice thing about it all is that everything is made of
recycled materials and has cost next to nothing.

My own brilliant addition to all this has been planting three casuarina
trees. These are riverside trees native to Oz that are supposed to drink
up water like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully, this will help with the
excess winter water too. Our main aim is getting rid of the 'lawn'
(Hahahahaha! Lawn! That's a joke!) so the little tree frogs will be
discouraged from coming down and getting eaten by our vulgar dog. Also,
the big Blue-Tongue lizards that like to bask in the middle of the
grassed area. Instead, DH is devising a lizard friendly pipework system
that will give them safe passage across our yard and enable them to bask
among my (hopefully) veggies in the built-up beds. Since our Alice (the
dog) has a bit of arthritis in her hips these days, she's unlikely to
hop up the half-metre to ravage my garden.

I hope.

In the meantime, she's true to her terrier name and is just loving her
free access to freshly dug soil. She rolls in it and then tries to beat
me into the house before I can clean the black dirt off her!

I'm hoping to establish a permaculture veggie garden over time. The main
reasons are the cost of fresh veg in supermarkets and the much better
flavour of homegrown ones. My DS has also been begging for a 'pretty
flower garden' for years and so we've put in pansies and stocks and a
few roses already. I've promised DS that we'll do even better next year,
once we're fully organised.

I love the way you've kept native features in your yard and made
habitats for the small animals! So few people bother to do that and as a
result the little creatures just die out without ever being missed. Such
a shame! Mind you, one of the Big Things we're about to do is cut down
the bothersome palm tree that's been bugging me ever since we moved
here. Sadly, it'll mean no more bats of a summer evening, however I'm so
sick of the blasted dates that fall from the tree (AND the bat guano),
I'll be bidding it a fond goodbye. This Friday is ByeBye Palm Day: I
can't wait! What makes things even nicer is that our new next-door
neighbour hates her palm trees as much as we hate ours and is having
hers removed on the same day. We're planning a neighborhood cuppa in
celebration. LOL!

Now, I have to ask you about the Brugmansia pictured on your blog. We
call it 'Angel's Trumpet' and AFAIK, it's poisonous to stock. Is that
right, or is your plant a different animal? There's one growing close by
our place and it's *so* stunning-looking, I keep meaning to go and ask
its owner about it. Another thing I *love* about your place is the way
you've planted such a nice variety of trees as a screen. The different
foliages really give a lovely texture to your pool surrounds! We can't
afford to h ave too many trees, since our block is so narrow, it would
block out any sunshine. That's why I put in casuarinas. They have an
odd, dissected foliage and don't cast too much shadow.

We're thinking about putting more built-up beds on the opposite side of
the garden and planting some native nectar shrubs (grevilleas) that
would only grow to fence-height. They'd attract the small birds and hide
the ugly tin fence at the same time. I like having native birds in the
garden (never mind the occasional 'signatures' on my washing) and have
been encouraging a huge flock of cockatoos with bread and wheat all
winter. It's funny when they land on our tin roof: they sound like bombs
going off, they're so heavy!

Anyway, thanks for the reference to your blog. It was great to have a
look at your garden!

(PS. What do you grow in the greenhouse???)
Old August 12th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/11/08 9:31 AM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:18:54 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I'm trying to finish a little piece with palm trees but not getting very
far.

And which sports are you watching. I'm watching the swimming, the gymnastics
and equestrian (when I can find it). I'll watch the track and field stuff
when that coverage starts.

- I stayed up to watch the Men's 100M relay swim; I'm rooting for Phelps to
beat Mark Spitz record for gold medals in an Olympics even if I think Mark
Spitz is cuter

DS is making all sorts of comments about the Chinese female gymnasts -
mostly that none of them look 16 more like 10 or 11. Told him that he should
read (gasp, read a book) Little Girls in Pretty Boxes. It's about the
training figure skaters and gymnasts go through and I can't imagine the
Chinese are more gentle and certainly aim for the "girls in boys bodies"
look. Most of the other teams seem to truly have 16+ girls on them. The
Germans have a woman in her 30's and she was great.

Cheryl

So far I am trying to watch, but the coverage of beach volleyball
seems to be overly obvious.

Don't you mean the "uniforms". LOL

I can't find the equestrian, the swmming
is obnoxious with all the tabloid reporting, who cares, and the
coverage is disgusting once again. So I am bored to tears.

We love the swimming - one of them ( I think one of the women) has local
ties, so we are rooting for the whole team.

One of those Chinese gymnasts looks ten years old and she is not the
only one. The pressure to win is not making it any fun to watch.
Competition has become the sport, not the actual event.

Gymnastics is no longer fun to watch - period. For a real eye opener, seek
out college level gymnastics. That is the real home of the sport now.

I am tired of men havinig suits which cover their ass cracks, but
everry woman's event has them barely covering their crotch. I have no
idea how they are scoring using the new system, and I don't hear
anyone explaininng it, either.

I think as soon the media figure out the new scoring, they'll let us know.
I heard part of an interview with Bella Karoli that the new rules were just
the latest way to hide existing favoritism.

Then there's the very unsportsmanship comments by the French and the
whole thing is just a big bore.

You now have my sugar coated version.

Spew warning needed.

Cheryl

Old August 12th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/11/08 6:19 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:15:12 -0700 (PDT), lewmew
wrote:

I think this insane, frivilous training regimens are not healthy. *I
understand why we have the sport, but to completely stop *your growth,
stop menses due to no body fat and disrupt your ability to develop
your body is a bit frightening to me.

I totally agree. And I was completely appalled that they put on
television that Michael Phelps' coach basically said at age 11 it was
time to start training him for the Olympics. I know a few parents who
are convinced that their child is headed their - one has SERIOUSLY
talked about moving to CO Springs to be part of the team there so they
can train at the Olympic Development facility. The kid is 10. His
parents are very average sized. He may be a phenom of sorts now but
who knows what is going to happen when he hits puberty. I already
know a couple of kids who did fizzle at 13.

My dd's swimming routine is enough for now. I don't think she needs
to add to it yet. A week at swim camp - maybe. Moving? No way.

Linda

Certainly not at that age. Personally, to take this issue further,
China made an agreement with the IOC that they would completely
address and fix their human rights issues, their manufacturing torture
projects where children work 14 hours a day and live in appalling
conditions in the city heat, bunks three high, three feet apart, etc.
They have not done anything they agreed to do so they are breaking
their contract with the IOC. Let's see what happens. Geeze I am just
in a conundrum about this.

IF any one, any where, seriously expects the Chinese government to do what
they promised to do as far as human rights is dreaming. It is an
authoritarian regime and has been from the time of the emperors if not
before.

Old August 12th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/11/08 11:02 PM, in article ,
"Trish Brown" wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
[...]

Lots of the serious athletes train in the USA, France and such but swim for
tiny countries.

Cheryl

Old August 12th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/11/08 11:27 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:42:35 +1000, Trish Brown
wrote:

Pppbbblllffftt! You guys aren't alone in the partisan camp! Here in Oz,
all we hear about is Libby Trickett and Grant Hackett (both swimmers) as
if they were the only athletes competing on our behalf. Never mind that
the Oz equestrian team is doing *marvellously* well against frightful
odds. I think the TV would explode if we got more than the obligatory
five minutes of coverage per week.

It's no secret that I'm an equestrian tragic, but I'd like to see other
sports as well. Last night, I had to sit up until 1am to see the gallant
weightlifters from Colombia and Korea and China battle it out in the
62kg division. I know nothing about weightlifting, but gee it was great
to watch! I wouldn't mind seeing the kayaking or the fencing or the
taekwondo either, but all I get is a steady diet of swimming and beach
volleyball.

Hnnnnnnnhhh!!!

NB. Here's two gems for you, courtesy of the Australian Olympic TV coverage:

When the Oz team failed to win the women's 400m relay, an intelligent
commentator remarked 'Not to bag the little 16-year-old new entry, but
if she had only gotten off the block a fraction of a second more
quickly, this race would've been in the bag for Libby Trickett.'

Hellooo? It was a team relay race...

An even more intelligent (?) commentator observed during Lucinda
Fredericks' flawless dressage test 'A wag of the tail from the horse!
That'll be points deducted for Lucinda!' AND HE WAS SERIOUS!

Oh for Pete's sake. I'm not sure which country is worse. I adore
horses and riding, but I am always so afraid if I watch a horse will
somehow get injured. When Barbero broke his leg I was unconsolable. I
refrained from watching till that sorrowful day when that beautiful
philly broke her ankles and had to be put down right there.

Now the only horse shows I watch are on the RFD Satellite channel.
Now, for those hysterically laughing at me, I adore Mules. Big,
shiny, Asian eyed mules. They have special mule training shows.
That's my speed.

I ADORE RFD - it lets me give the DD a taste of "country life" that she
won't see other wise.