Meet Matilda Mallstomper

Old March 19th 04, 12:46 AM
anne

Default Meet Matilda Mallstomper

Largish file alert: http://home.comcast.net/~frugalfingers/recent.html

I need to buy a lottery ticket or two to win enough $$ to get a better digital
camera sigh

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 19th 04, 02:15 AM
Bob & Marg Whittleton

anne wrote:

Largish file alert: http://home.comcast.net/~frugalfingers/recent.html

I need to buy a lottery ticket or two to win enough $$ to get a better digital
camera sigh

Love her!!!

Marg

Old March 19th 04, 08:27 AM
lula

Anne,

I loved seeing Maltilda Mallstomper your "original" embroidery......it
looks really good. This was an excellent, creative solution to your
embroidery wishes. You did a wonderful embroidered adaptation of the
chart!
I especially love the embellishments you added to the stitching.....that
really set off and enhanced the whole design!!

Now you've got me thinking about the subject of embroidery designs in
the needlework market........I've been in the needlework business full
time for over 20 years, first as a manager of a full service needlework
shop and then my own design business, that I opened in1985.......the
following comments are my own observations on the subject of embroidery.

I've always noticed there have been embroidery kits for sale through the
years and that embroidery was quite popular at one time in the past and
since then has always been around.
But I don't really know if embroidery has ever been as popular or as
commercially successful as the cross stitch craze in the last 20 years.

There have always been kits for "crewel" embroidery using wool yarns,
such as the well known ones from Elsa Williams, Erica Wilson and many
others through the years.......embroidery kits always seemed to be a
perennial commodity in needlework shops.

Erica Wilson is well known to have revived crewel embroidery and
needlework overall in the US.......it was because of Erica's whimsical
crewel designs that got me interested in stitching......I have several
of her crewel kits still unfinished among other embroidery kits.....

However, I've not noticed designers to strictly focus on producing
embroidery "charts" to sell, such as a line drawing with instructions
for embroidery stitches.

What I have noticed are designers doing charts with stitch guides using
various needlepoint and some embroidery stitches. Designers like Libby
Sturdy and Kimberly Crum come to mind but to be specific, these charts
fall under counted work more than actual embroidery.

Some other sources one might use for the purpose of embroidery is to use
"serious" coloring books, the well done series featuring historical
costumes, theater, botanicals, historical subjects and so
on........designs for Redwork, iron-on templates among many other
sources for line drawings.

Has anyone else noticed any designers or companies doing charts only for
embroidery?
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old March 19th 04, 01:06 PM
Caryn

I've always noticed there have been embroidery kits for sale through the
years and that embroidery was quite popular at one time in the past and
since then has always been around.
But I don't really know if embroidery has ever been as popular or as
commercially successful as the cross stitch craze in the last 20 years.

My mother taught me crewel work embroidery when I was about 9 or 10. At the
time (early 1970's) it was pretty much the only embroidery you saw in stores.
If there was cross stitch it was the stamped sort, not the counted cross stitch
which is so popular today.

Personally, I don't enjoy crewel all that much, it's as much a textile thing as
anything else. I don't like the way the threads feel in my fingers. I didn't
mind the speciality stitches, I was actually pretty good at most of them.

However, I enjoy doing counted cross stitch a lot more, which is why I design
for counted cross stitch. It's not because I don't think people who do crewel
work don't deserve nice patterns to stitch, but because it's not the format I
prefer myself.

Anne, I wish you luck finding patterns that suit you, your adaptation of
Matilda was wonderful!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 19th 04, 03:02 PM
anne

lula said

I've always noticed there have been embroidery kits for sale through the
years and that embroidery was quite popular at one time in the past and
since then has always been around.
But I don't really know if embroidery has ever been as popular or as
commercially successful as the cross stitch craze in the last 20 years.

When I did my first stitchings about 30 years ago (gawd, that makes me feel
old!), there seemed to be a lot of wool (crewel) and embroidery kits on the
market for more than just flowers and Jacobean designs. As a matter of fact,
one of my bedrooms is a 'shrine' to projects done during that period -- scenes
of Olde Williamsburg, Boston, Philadelphia, Salem, children riding bikes, etc.,
etc.

About 2 years ago, I found that I was too antsy to sit and just read for
extended periods. Being a confirmed couch potato, I still wanted to sit but
wasn't sure my eyesight was good enough or fingers were nimble enough to do any
stitching. I knew that counted cross stitch wasn't for me and was appalled that
there wasn't much of a selection in pure, fill in all the spaces, as opposed to
merely embellishing artwork, floss or wool embroidery kits in the local stores.
There were more designs in the needlepoint section but the flat and somewhat
'jaggy' look of needlepoint has never appealed to me. I ended up with a
Jannlynn kit for 4 small pieces. Being frugal, the fact that the kit included
frames appealed to me ;-)

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to fill in the blanks with little
trouble and then went back for more. Next, I tried my hand at long stitch --the
ever popular, balloon and seascape kits. I enjoyed doing them but felt a bit
constrained by the similarity of the stitching. I picked up quite a few
'vintage' kits (Hummels, candlewicking, etc) on Ebay. Even though I've got a
drawer that's overflowing with Ebay finds, I went into whimsy mode which got me
started on modifying cross stitch charts.

My sister has spent a fortune on handpainted needlepoint canvases, some of
which I actually like eg but as I said before, the look doesn't 'talk' to me.
Cutting to the chase, I don't have a clue as to whether there's a market for
non-traditional 'regular' embroidery but I know that I'd at least look at the
stuff ;-)

Some other sources one might use for the purpose of embroidery is to use
"serious" coloring books, the well done series featuring historical
costumes, theater, botanicals, historical subjects and so
on........designs for Redwork, iron-on templates among many other
sources for line drawings.

I've picked up a few of those at an art supply store and did one of a Japanese
vase and one of these days, I'll do a fan picture.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 19th 04, 05:16 PM
Linda Wright

I love Matilda!

As to Lula's post, no, I haven't seen any charts only, other than Aunt
Martha's iron on transfers. I do what Anne did and Lula has done -
trace and embellish as desired. I've used the coloring book method
(Dover Publications is great for this) and have traced some "real" art
(Manet and Monet, specifically). I wish there were more out there!

That said, I do think that kits might be more popular as many people
are not confident of their ability to choose the right
thread/colors/stitches. And it would be *wonderful* to see something
like Matilda in a kit. I am tired of tame subjects, flowers and
"embellish" kits where you just add a few stitches to a preprinted
background. There are many of us out there who do not decorate in
eternal spring!

Hmm - maybe we should all send our requests to DMC/Janlynn/Bucilla and
the other mainline makers, along with Wal-Mart, Michael's, Jo-Anns,
etc. Maybe if more stuff like this was available in the stores, there
would be more demand for it. . . . In the meantime, there's no supply.
Until there is a supply, there can't be demand. Sort of like the
chicken and the egg, isn't it?

I hope someone takes the leap! Lula, as I've said before, if you *do*
decide to put any of your beautiful, fun drawings into kits, put me
down to buy the first one!

Linda in Columbia, MO
Old March 21st 04, 05:30 AM
lula

Anne,

An embroidered fan design would be very elegant! I've seen some gorgeous
painted fans in a variey of subjects......so many ideas to choose from!

I agree, there's a limit to creative stitching from designs based on
grids.....charted designs and canvas mesh don't allow for natural curves
and spacing........this limits how figures, faces and such small details
can be rendered or drawn. In some cases, details have to be sacrificed
or simplified and the design reduced to a "shorthand" style of art.
Basic dots and slashes for eyes and noses for example.

Unfortunately, pesky jaggies are a fact of life in gridded
designs......a skilled artist can minimize jaggies up to a point where
it wouldn't be as noticeable but gridded designs will always have an
angular look.

Similare to you, I've been drawn more and more towards embroidery as a
means of being able to draw more expressive designs, where I can stitch
more details and make real curved lines!

Embroidery is definitely a more artistic way to stitch......lots of
variety in stitches too without worry of compensating stitches as in
needlepoint or half and quarter stitches in XS.

Even more exciting is using embroidery as part of a bigger
"picture".....as you've done with Matilda with the addition of other fun
details using embellishments, decorative fonts or text and using all
sorts of threads.
You were very clever in how you adapted a chart to embroidery!
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your embroideries!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

lula said

Old March 21st 04, 06:04 AM
lula

Linda,

That's a good idea to write to the kit companies and let them know the
type of needlework you'd like to see developed. If enough requests were
made, the art directors or whoever makes the design decisions would
probably consider adding more embroidery kits to their lines.

I also agree that kits serve a useful purpose. That's how I started
stitching by trying out different needlework techniques in kits. My
favorites were the Erica Wilson kits because her designs were atypical
of the majority florals and "still life" embroideries featured in the
late 70's. Erica's designs were charming, colorful and
whimsical.......she had a variety of subjects from medieval scenes to
Beatrix Potter illustrations.

Except for this past period, I don't know of any current designers doing
only embroidery designs as a business.

Kit companies either have in house designers or license art from artists
to develop into kits. In fact, one of my illustrations (snowman family)
was licensed last year by Jan Lyn and will appear as a cross stitch kit
later this year.

Linda, I'm honored by your vote of confidence........as you know, I'm
about to experiment with embroidering some of my illustrations to see
what they'll look like "painted" with stitches that can curve and move
in the directions I want them to not limited to what the ground fabric
dictates.

BTW, Linda, I liked your embroidered adaptations of Matisse paintings,
were both by Matisse? And your embroidered pink flamingoes were fun to
see wading in the lagoon in their tropical paradise!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old March 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
anne

lula said

An embroidered fan design would be very elegant!

LOL -- not the way I'd do it unless I bite the bullet and buy some fancy
threads.

Similare to you, I've been drawn more and more towards embroidery as a
means of being able to draw more expressive designs, where I can stitch
more details and make real curved lines!

Kits do a better job with details than I do. They also provide the thread or
wool, usually 3 colors, to provide what I call 'richness' When I modify a cross
stitch design or use a coloring book or transfer pattern, I can't 'see' the
colors like an artist would that could be used to add depth of field or
shading. To compensate and add visual interest, I tend to use a lot of what
might be unrelated colors when filling in the 'blanks.'

I'm also not very good at figuring out the direction for stitching pieces/parts
sigh.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 22nd 04, 11:03 PM
lula

Hi Anne,

Hmmmm, where did I get this feeling you weren't exactly going for the
ladylike, elegant look for your fan design? Could be because of
Matilda.....hahaha, thanks to you, I decided to let my imagination go
and have some real fun creating my next embroidery.

Stop saying you can't because by so cleverly adapting Matilda
Mallstomper to embroidery, this proved you can do an excellent
interpretation of a design into another form!

Yes, it's true kits do a good job in providing a roadmap for you to
follow but you might want to take a side trip at some point and here are
a few creative ideas I use........

One doesn't need to use shading to add depth to a design........you can
use pattern to add depth, for example doing a check border in an area,
in another, do some stripes, then add some dots, these patterns can be
in bright colors or subdued by using more pastel and close colors .
Many artists will use pattern instead of just shading their artwork to
add depth to their work.

Great results can be achieved by stitching pattern in some areas of the
needlework instead of just shading.
In stitching, you can also vary your design with the use of specialty
stitches and also the use of textured threads.......these techniques
will create the depth you're looking for too and in the end, these
methods will probably give your embroidery even more exciting results!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

anne anne wrote:

lula said

[...]

Carla & Margie..RCB meet up next month?? ~Candace~ Beads 3 November 24th 04 05:31 PM
NO RCB Meet Today :( ~Candace~ Beads 9 August 18th 04 09:54 PM
OT Story: How to meet your best friend starlia Beads 2 May 13th 04 01:21 AM