Banned from the Garden!--very long

Old July 22nd 03, 12:27 PM
sunflower

Um once again - I have gone to school at two other institutions so I have
those loans as well. Also I stated that my loan exceeds $25 000.

That is a lot no matter how you slice it.

As for feeling I am 'owed' something in life - HARDLY - I worked very hard
to get to where I am - also regarding the 'intellect' question (with
scholarships) ~ I applied for every bursary I was eligible for ~
Unfortunately there isn't much out there for married mature students.

In Canada actually - There has been SIGNIFICANT problems with people paying
the loans back. They had to change the laws because of the large volume of
people claiming bankruptcy to avoid paying them.

Please ~ I pay my taxes (as does my husband) ~ I earned the RIGHT for a
higher education - and the right for a student loan.

Sarah
"Ellice" wrote in message
On 7/21/03 1:43 PM,"sunflower" posted:

What I meant is that I have to pay the loans back ~ with interest. In

Nova
Scotia, the student debt load is UNBELIEVABLE . Factor in child care

costs
which I also have to borrow. My debt load will exceed $25 000 easily.

Just to give you some perspective, $25 K Canadian isn't a particularly

large
amount for a student loan. The average in the states now is, IIRC, about

$60
K US - approximately 4 times yours. But, if you're only going thru
certificate programs at Community College, that is indeed less than a 4 or

5
year University degree. My loan debt, having graduated nearly 20 years

ago,
was more than this, and I had academic scholarships for tuition and
expenses. My DB, who is an attorney, had easily $35 K US in debt, our
friends with children in college now are looking at $25K - $75K, depending
on the kid, and scholarships, schools.

All of which I will be paying back. As well as continuing to reside in

Nova
Scotia and reinvest my earnings into my community.

Nice that you're going to pay back your loans. Not to be snide, but they
are called loans, not gifts. As in the purpose is to allow you financial
resources to make your education possible now, so that you will better

your
life, earning capacity, and pay them back.

I don't call getting help to get a loan 'assistance' really. I am

borrowing
$$ for child care and I must provide receipts. Many others in my class

are
being funded by HRDC and are not required to provide receipts for child
care - so many inflate the amount and pocket the extra.

How can you not call getting help for a loan assistance? What else do you
think it is? Doesn't the Canadian & provincial government make the loans
more easily accessible for students, and at a lower rate than a basic
personal loan from a commercial bank would be? Are you loans backed,
guaranteed by the government, so that if you were to default the lender
isn't out the money? Generally speaking, a person in your situation, with
only a part-time job, not a lot of assets - as presumably your mini-home

is
mortgaged - would have a difficult time getting a loan. So, being able to
get a student loan, which are generally under different requirements than
other loans is indeed assistance - by most people's definitions.

I have to pay everything back - and I got it all on my own. The

Government
isn't really doing me a favor- they're making a ton of money off my

interest

The interest off your total loan package - which according to you pays

back
at $25 K, presumably including interest, is hardly a "ton of money" . The
government is doing what it should, in helping you to be able to acquire
more education. Evidently you're one of those people that feels you're

owed
something in life - or at least that is how you're portraying yourself.
What's the big deal about paying it back? That's what people do with

loans.
Too bad you weren't more gifted intellectually, or athletically, or
artistically - then perhaps some school would've gifted you part of your
education. But, few people get those gifts, and so the rest, even people
with scholarships, take out loans. Most people appreciate that fact.

ellice
Sarah

Old July 22nd 03, 12:37 PM
sunflower

No problem Brenda!

My total at the end of next year will be about $36 000. I previously took
the 1st year Arts Program at SMU, then a Travel and Tourism Program. ($15
000 is was I previously owed, and was paying back).

Your comments were great - I appreciate them. I know $36 000 isn't a LOT of
money to people, but to us it sure is!

My SIL graduated with her teaching degree and owed approximately $60 000
(which she somehow managed to pay off in less than 5 years

Hopefully the government will be able to implement some new programs
regarding repayment of Loans. This is an election hot topic at the moment.

And I noticed Dawne had the link Thanks Dawne!

Sarah
"Brenda Lewis" wrote in message
Professional curiosity: Would you mind telling me more about how the
student loan programs work in Canada or sending me some links with
information? $25,000 (cdn, I assume) in debt for an entire degree
program isn't bad. Many of the students I used to counsel would borrow
that much or more each year across four or five different loan programs.
They would come in for exit interviews before graduation and not
understand that they were going to walk out with a piece of paper and
over $100,000 (US) in debt.

You are lucky in a way. Your life experience gives you a more realistic
idea of what it really means to be in debt, the value of a dollar (cdn),
and how much you can earn at a real job. I'm still floored by the
C-average students with no work experience who honestly believe they
will have a job when they graduate that will give them $100,000/year, a
hefty signing bonus, a sports/luxury car for personal use, a relocation
package, 'work-related' travel to exotic locales, etc.

It is possible the programs in your country are administered in such a
way that the government can make money from student loans. I don't
think the US program comes out ahead. Setting up, running, and
maintaining security for the student loan clearinghouse is expensive.
All federal aid programs here must be reauthorized by congress every
four years. Congress inevitably makes significant changes to the
programs (adds or drops programs, changes eligibility, new
record-keeping requirements, etc.) during each reauthorization which are
complex, confusing, and costly. They keep trying to find new ways to
keep former-students from defaulting on their loans, but that is also
expensive. Current interest rates are so low, the amount they take in
is eaten up by the expense of administering the program. At times it
seems the only reasons the government stays in the student loan business
is because 1) it is good PR and 2) if a person earns a degree he may
get a higher income which the government can then siphon off over the
next 50 years in income tax.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 22nd 03, 12:40 PM
sunflower

Um - I got my POLITE answer actually already Ellice - and it is deplorable
that Mrs. PP pokes fun at ANY type of mental illness.

Sarah
"Ellice" wrote in message
On 7/21/03 2:32 PM,"sunflower" posted:

what the heck is Post Natal depression?

If you are referring to "Post Partum Depression", no I'm not and I think
it's cruel of you to say that.

Work on the language skills, Sarah. It would undoubtedly help with your
interactions here (and I'd guess in general). Post Natal is the same thing
as Post Partum. Post Natal refers to after giving birth, different latin
root for Natal vs Partum (after the departure, or parting from the

mother's
womb). Natal, as in Neo-Natal - referring to the stage in infancy
immediately after birth. Pre-natal - as in before the birth. Surely you
could have figured this out. And had you asked nicely, not knowing the
different terminology used in the UK as opposed to here - Canada or US -

we
(yes, a generalization) would have respected that. Yet again, you answer
when Pat was being sincere (I hope) with an abrupt response.

ellice

Old July 22nd 03, 12:42 PM
Caryn

well then she must have unsubbed - cause she was there when I posted the
original note.

No, sorry, have definately not unsubbed.

If I am not on the list it is because I was removed by others.

BTW, if Mindy refers to me in the weedpatch again, please ask her to remember
I'm Caryn not Karen!

Caryn (who got a Mindy post sent to her in email)
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old July 22nd 03, 01:03 PM
sunflower

Thanks Ruby! I'm going to check that out today!!

Sarah
"Stitcher" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:33:51 -0300, "sunflower"
wrote:

Thanks Dianne! I email with a lady from my town (whom I've never met
once and awhile who is a member. I think I'll drop her a line and ask

her
if I can go with her to the September meeting!

I'm getting excited now

If you go to the EAC, Embroidery Association of Canada, web site you
should find an email address for the chapters president.
That is how I found the guild I am in. I am sure she would be happy
to give you information of day, date and time of meetings, stichins
etc. And answer any questions you may have.
Ruby
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from

religious conviction: Pascal

Old July 22nd 03, 01:04 PM
sunflower

Excuse me - guess I have to clarify - I LIVE IN A MINI HOME PARK~ AKA
Trailer Park GET IT!

Sarah

Snip?
And the tendency to put words in other people's mouth like for instance

her
comment about trailer parks which in her opinion were "garbage". Here

words
were "trailer park garbage" to be precise.

I showed that message to my Harvard-educated friend and he says his job

just
dropped and just could not believe it. Especially when it was tried to

make
out that was my opinion. Which it is NOT.

BTW, my ex-neighbours who moved into an pensioners hospice last year
(because the wife had a heart condition) were regularly seen walking hand

in
hand, kissing each other on the mouth and hugging. Whenever I saw them I
always thought "I will be my husband and I in a few decades. That is true
love." Not "Sweet" as if it is weird or something. When the wife died a

few
months ago, the husband came and gave me a hand-written letter the wife

had
written. In it she said she had never met anyone with such respect for

older
generations (her words not mine). Maybe that shows why my two elderly
neighbours are so keen to have me as a neighbour.

On the other hand I am also respected by many of the mothers around here
because I am very protective of their kids and look out for their safety
when they are playing. Maybe that's why the kids "There the nice lady with
the dog again" and come all running over to ask how I am, how the dog is,
how my husband is. And my dog is probably the only dog that none of the

kids
are scared of and I have even cured a few of being scared of dogs.

Stitch Lady

---
This email has been certified to be free from viruses.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:05 PM
Lynne M.

Ellice wrote in message ...
Lynne,

Very well said. And you are deservedly proud of your daughter.

Ellice

On 7/21/03 10:01 AM,"Lynne M." posted:

Thanks for reading, Ellice. I am super-proud of both of my daughters,
but I think that's just typical. I *was* trying to talk seriously to
sunflower, but it all seems to have flown past her. Oh well.

Lynne
Old July 22nd 03, 01:05 PM
sunflower

Great thoughts Mirjam! I always enjoy reading your insights.

I wasn't judging ANYONE by their age.

Sarah
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Strange remark Sarah ,
I like to be MY age , Just turned 60 years and am extremly proud of
it, i made it , i survived wars, and illnesses and terror acts and I
am here , How wonderful. Life has given me a head full of silver
medals, for all my achievements. And as my head has no more place for
reading etc,, my body widened a bit to accomodate place for more
collected knowledge. just recieved a card that wil give various
discounts , while my artistic career goes on in ful steam ....i am
researching , making art , i think EVERY age has it`s joys and harder
parts,,, enjoy who and what you are, and stop judging people by age,
Remember we have been at in your age and know something about it, you
still have to try out our`s !!! the more positive and less classifying
you wil be about age , the more chance you have to enjoy every stage
of your life , as much as possible!!!
wishing you well ,
mirjam
85 and they hold hands when they walk in - *SWEET* Obviously those
people are young at heart right

Old July 22nd 03, 01:07 PM
Caryn

WE wanted to say it first!

Pat,

Would that be the royal We?

bg

Caryn
Old July 22nd 03, 01:08 PM
sunflower

I finished a local college - that's not a degree - that's a diploma
actually.

You didn't see the apology - that's all.

Sarah
"Meredith" wrote in message
sunflower wrote:

I also never implied I had a College Degree. I went to SMU for 1 year -
couldn't afford the next 3 (and who knows how many after I got the Arts
degree), I also have a diploma in Travel and Tourism. Of course my

family
situation changed around that time and there weren't any jobs in my

field
(travel agent)

I could have sworn that you said you'd finished college somewhere, so
maybe it was stated in a confusing manner.

I notice there are no reponses to my apology to Caryn - apparantly the

only
way to get a reponse is to slam someone or disagree with one of the
'popular's viewpoints.

Sarah

I didn't see that apology; it may have been lost in the ether.

Meredith

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Hellooo! Anyone remember me? (long...epic-ly long ;o) Kyla Beads 16 May 23rd 04 10:28 PM
THIS THURSDAY 4/22 - Long Island Pen Club Meeting Nancy Handy Rubberstamps 1 April 24th 04 07:37 AM
AD: Millenium Garden Workshops Stephen Polymer Clay 0 August 16th 03 03:33 AM