hydroperm-javahut

Old July 29th 03, 04:04 AM
Liam Striker

Default hydroperm-javahut

questions...
how may firings do you get out of one of your hydroperm-fiberglass molds.
and
I'm mistified by the fiberglass. Not boat fiberglass? I didn't know there
was a difference. Where should I look for the right stuff?

Thanks
Liam

Old July 29th 03, 04:44 AM
Javahut

I recently did 12 panels all on the same mold, should be able to do that and
more.

Why are you mistified by the fiberglass? I didn't say not boat fiberglass,
I said "1/32 chopped/milled fiber"

US Gypsum only rates Hydroperm to 1000 deg. by adding a "binder" you can go
much higher, I have taken molds to 1415, but remember, the temps I quote are
on my digital pyrometer, (which I believe to be accurate.)

If you read any of the molding/casting books, for glass or metal, there are
refractory mold materials and binders and while not the same, they work
together to accomplish what we need to do the job.
Just be really careful and not get your ratio of binder to plaster too high.

And as long as you are concerned with mold strength, how many firings, don't
make your mold too "wet", make it a drier mold and they last longer, my
experience.

Good luck, need help, write again, have no trepidations, mix it up and dig
in!!

y.com...

Old July 29th 03, 05:44 PM
Javahut

"1/32 chopped/milled fiber should be available at any fiberglass shop,
which may be a repair facility also.
I get mine from "Eastpointe fiberglass, in Eastpointe , MI, (used to be East
Detroit until they wanted to secede from the name a while back) It is made
by Fibertech, do a search and see if they have a website or distributor in
your area.
the stuff is like flour, and dangerous as anything else silica like to
breath.

Is this shredded fiber refractory? NO

I need to find this stuff, where do I go? Don't know your area, search
the boat guys, just don't get cabosil, way expensive.

If you read any of the molding/casting books...

Read those and Fenton's Book, and Reynold's book, if you like reading, if
not, to borrow a phrase, "JUST DO IT"

I read Lundstrom's. He talks about adding silica, grog and vermiculte:

but
Too much work.... and doesn't hold up and not as quick...

How does 10parts plaster to 1 part fiber sound? OK, for average panel,

for an antique bent glass lamp, 18" dia., 6 panel size lamp, I use a good
size handful to whatever plaster it takes to mix. Guess I will have to do a
video on this!! Little joke there.Moon

And as long as you are concerned with mold strength, how many firings,

About 5

With this mix, you can get a couple of dozen firings as long as you don't
make the plaster mix too soupy to start with, with experience comes
knowledge, just make a mold, you will learn each time you make one till its
right, then you will never forget how you did it.

I am open in February to come to Texas and teach a brief seminar for
expenses and a small stipend, are you near the water?

Old July 30th 03, 12:29 AM
Liam Striker

Thanks a bunch
Liam