Happiness is

Old October 22nd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default Continents, etc. was Happiness is

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:33:08 +1000, Trish Brown
wrote:

Didn't you already mention Christianity? I thought Catholicism came
under that heading?

So, what do you want me to say? 'Catholicism is the only faith that
contains mistaken, deluded or evil people?' Sorry. I couldn't say that.
It wouldn't be true.

There's no way I can whitewash any of the atrocities done in the name of
my faith. Why would I want to? Y'can't rewrite history! But we weren't
talking about faiths, we were talking about compassion for one's enemy.
This is something my personal morality encourages me to do - if it
happens to align with the doctrines of my faith, well, then: GOOD!

I've never *ever* professed to be a good Catholic but I believe it's
worth continuing to try. I admire anyone who can be a good Jew or Muslim
or Zoroastrian or plain human being. If I practiced your unique brand of
vengeance in my own life, I'm sure I'd become a dried-up, bitter old
woman. I would not like myself very much at all. So, I make my decisions
to suit what I believe is right. I'm sure you do the same and I have
no interest in persuading you to do otherwise.

Dear Trish,

You are wasting your time. Some people will "get" it, some don't. We,
each of us, have to live our lives in the best way suitable to our
well being and for the well being of others around us. Don't fall
into the same trap I did or you too will get the wrath.

Victoria

You're absolutely right. LOL! I just wrote a seven-page essay in
response, then read it back to myself and laughed for fully five
minutes. (Did me good too! I've had a **** of a day...) There is nothing
you can say, really, is there?

Yesterday, DH bust his dear little buns and began making my two enormous
new garden beds. We had a joke about putting a naked lady statue in one
of them and Michelangelo's David in the other. (The local hardware has
life-sized statues of both on sale for only $1,000 each!) LOL! I'm
thinking of getting some tiny statuettes and putting those in when the
beds are done. DH will like that.

I've gotten a whole heap of geranium cuttings going and intend growing
them up our ugly tin fence to cover it. DD wants a dark red climbing
rose for her little patch and DS wants 'something purple' for his. Sigh.
DH is finally growing a khaki thumb and is asking for a succulent
garden. This is good! Gives me heaps to think and plan about and I like
that. I cut the nine pups off my tree fern and have given them all away.
It looks much tidier and less 'boofy' than it did with all that 'hair'
sticking out. Now, it makes good filtered shade for my violet collection
and I'm going to put my old Ginkgo biloba next to it and make a cool
temperate patch in the 'useless' corner. DH gave me a three-tiered
fountain for our first wedding anniversary (nearly fifteen years ago).
It's about to be installed! Great day in the mornin'! AND, DH is going
to make a small pergola for me so I can put my pink/white/blue wisteria
on it and sit underneath reading Jane Austen.

Thinking about my garden is already improving my mood. Maybe the day's
not a dead loss after all... ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old October 22nd 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Default OT: Question about Israel & Judea -- was that whole continentsdiscussion

I think this is why I like Brat...she makes her students think!

Dr. Brat wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Oh you poor thing - having to read all that tripe to find the odd good
paper.

Nah, this set was actually quite good. I just can't sustain that kind
of attention for more than about 45 minutes at a time.

I had them construct, administer, and analyze a short (and completely
unscientific) survey to see if voters are rational or not. Ideal
assignment: they had to learn the platforms of the two major candidates,
design and administer the survey, and then see if they'd really shown
anything. Then they had to critique their own process. Group research
but individual papers. Papers were actually mostly fascinating. Too
bad there won't be another election next semester.

Elizabeth

Old October 22nd 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Trish Brown wrote:

(Did me good too! I've had a **** of a day...) There is nothing
you can say, really, is there?

I've had the same day -- started off bad and went downhill from there --
and the only thing I can say is "a brand new pint of Ben & Jerry's
Vanilla Caramel Fudge".

After I bought it, I realized there's no room for it in the freezer, so
I'm going to have to eat the whole thing in one sitting. You know how
much that pains me, right?

And if any of you show up over here with a spoon planning to help me
with this difficult project, I'll break your arm!

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old October 22nd 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Karen C in California wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:

(Did me good too! I've had a **** of a day...) There is nothing you
can say, really, is there?

I've had the same day -- started off bad and went downhill from there --
and the only thing I can say is "a brand new pint of Ben & Jerry's
Vanilla Caramel Fudge".

After I bought it, I realized there's no room for it in the freezer, so
I'm going to have to eat the whole thing in one sitting. You know how
much that pains me, right?

And if any of you show up over here with a spoon planning to help me
with this difficult project, I'll break your arm!

Nup! I hate caramel! I'm not all that fond of ice-cream either. It's
only a vehicle, really, for one form or another of chocolate...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old October 22nd 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Jangchub wrote:

First, yes, I too have written long diatribes only to delete them.

Now, what is your favorite Jane Austen?

Mine is, "Sense and Sensibility."

Victoria

Oh, 'Emma'! I love the way Emma is so very female in her outlook and,
although she likes to think she's so wise and perceptive, she can't see
Mr Kingsley's love unfolding right under her nose. It's gorgeous! Have
you seen 'The Jane Austen Book Club'? It's a lovely film about a group
of people who are all reading Jane Austen novels: the events in their
lives mirror what's happening in the books and it's a lovely, gentle
treatment of the stories in a modern-day setting.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old October 22nd 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/22/08 10:20 AM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:02:31 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 10/21/08 2:36 PM, in article
,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:06:13 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Actually, I find that part fascinating. I'll never toss an atlas, will even
buy old ones because they are history in a picture.

Cheryl

A friend of mine who is an artist covered a dresser with atlas' of
differing time periods and sold it to a famous singer, Mary J. Blidge
(not sure of her spelling) and though his art is not my favorite TYPE
of art, it sells boatloads worldwide. See his Moon dresser he

http://www.josephheidecker.com/

Victoria

Glad you don't like it either. I hate when some one does that to a book.

Cheryl

What book? He had to order and pay NASA for that image in that size.
The Atlas' he used were all copied with permission, unless there was
no copyright.

I meant the atlas pages you mentioned!

The other work he does is on Parlor Cards he buys at flea markets and
Benicio Del Toro owns one of the images on the website. He actually
paid 750 for it too!

Art is very subjective. I once went with Joseph to the Philadelphia
Art Museum and there was a canvas, oh about 12 feet square so huge. On
one side it was painted black, the other side white. So a huge
square, 12 feet by 12 feet installed with special lights. I saw that
and said to Josse (as I call him) "...what the hell is that crap?
That's art?" Well, we had the biggest fight, loud, in the museum!
We've been friends since he was 13 and I was a little older. We're
still very close. We disagree with art!

And I'd be with you ....

Cheryl

Old October 22nd 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia Beaulieu

Default Re OT: Art: was: Question about Israel & Judea

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:02:31 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 10/21/08 2:36 PM, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Someone in another group recently
brought this article to my attention.
http://tinyurl.com/5mye3x
or
http://www.theglobeandmail.com:80/se...nletter_newsUp

I guess if someone created something that makes people think or initiates
discussion it can fall under the loose label of art.

Mavia

Old October 22nd 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

orhttp://www.theglobeandmail.com:80/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080702.wbanan....

I guess if someone created something that makes people think or initiates
discussion it can fall under the loose label of art.

I think that art is between the Artist`s heart , mind and ability to
create it !!!
What people feel for it is in the eye of the beholder ,
mirjam

Mavia- Hide quoted text -