Guess who won a quilt? Guess who has a problem with said prize?

Old November 7th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Guess who won a quilt? Guess who has a problem with said prize?

Today I won a quilt at a church raffle. It is an embroidered quilt. The
fabric was purchased with the blue dots for the embroidery and for the hand
quilting stitching. The maker finished the quilt and did not remove the blue
dots. She may even have pressed the quilt top. In any case, the quilt hung
for weeks in a very sunny atrium at the church. So, I suspect the blue dots
are heat set. I have already washed the quilt in cold water with horse soap.
The dots did not wash out. It is now on a rack to dry. Does any one have any
experience or advice for removing the blue dots?
Thanks bunches!
PAT in Sunny Virginia

Old November 7th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I always wash quilts acording to the fabric rather than anything else,
so hot water, bio washing powder (or non-bio and OXY, which I prefer)
Fabric conditioner in the final rinse. Oh and washing machine rather
than by hand as it does a more thorough job. If being gentle hasn't
sorted it, bring out the big guns. It certainly can't make it worse.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old November 7th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Pat in Virginia" wrote:

Today I won a quilt at a church raffle. It is an embroidered quilt. The
fabric was purchased with the blue dots for the embroidery and for the hand
quilting stitching. The maker finished the quilt and did not remove the blue
dots. She may even have pressed the quilt top. In any case, the quilt hung
for weeks in a very sunny atrium at the church. So, I suspect the blue dots
are heat set. I have already washed the quilt in cold water with horse soap.
The dots did not wash out. It is now on a rack to dry. Does any one have any
experience or advice for removing the blue dots?
Thanks bunches!
PAT in Sunny Virginia

Congratulations and commiseration, Pat. :S I don't have any suggestions,
but I wish you luck.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old November 7th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I'm so sorry to hear the quilt was inadvertently abused that way! But
here's my suggestion -- hang on to it for one year, and then return it
to the church to raffle again! I have done this a couple of times,
saying something along the lines of "I have really enjoyed this _____
for a year, and my family and friends have admired it, too. However,
it's time to share it, so how about if the church raffles it again?
Let the next winner enjoy it, too, and then pass it on someday for
family, friend, or even another raffle winner. Some things should be
shared."
Old November 8th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

ack!!
sounds like someone didnt actually stitch over the blue dots as they should
have?
is that what happened?
how sad to take all that time and work embroidering and then leave those in.
might be if you cant wash it out you can disguise it somehow.
how would a bunch of new French Knots look over those dots?
got a close up pix of it?
j.

"Pat in Virginia" wrote ...

Old November 8th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Nov 7, 5:10*pm, Mary wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear the quilt was inadvertently abused that way! *But
here's my suggestion -- hang on to it for one year, and then return it
to the church to raffle again! *I have done this a couple of times,
saying something along the lines of "I have really enjoyed this _____
for a year, and my family and friends have admired it, too. *However,
it's time to share it, so how about if the church raffles it again?
Let the next winner enjoy it, too, and then pass it on someday for
family, friend, or even another raffle winner. *Some things should be
shared."

I've removed ironed on blue quilt marker lines with Tide Pen to
Go...aka, peroxide. Nothing else worked and I figured I'd give it a
go in a tiny spot to see what happened. It worked! You might want to
take a Qtip or toothpick with a bitty drop of peroxide and try it on
one 'dot' and see what happens. I hope you can find a solution that's
easy. Congratulations on your win too! Donna
Old November 8th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Peroxide is standard equipment in my sewing room. In a hundred years of
stitching (more or less) it hasn't harmed anything yet and may have killed a
germ or two. It's certainly worth a try. Never tried it on baked-in blue
marks. Might take 2 tries. Might not work at all but we'll cross our
fingers. Polly

Old November 8th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

And throw in a color catcher/dye magnet to catch any runs from the floss.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old November 8th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

Julia in MN wrote:
And throw in a color catcher/dye magnet to catch any runs from the floss.

Julia in MN

what is a colour catcher magnet please??
Old November 8th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Can't help you other then I use Tide laundry soap and the cheap stain
remover. I would test a small section though. But I would really love ot
see a pic of the quilt...pretty please....
Thanx
Joanna