Come play with me

Old January 12th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Come play with me

Polly Esther wrote:

I just tried something new and want you to try it. (For those of you who
can already do everything, ignore this.)
Lay two different scraps of fabric right sides together and at the same
time, cut a 4" square of both. Leave your squares still right sides
together. Draw a pencil line diagonally from one corner to another. Stitch
1/4" away from the line on both sides. (Still with me?)
Cut diagonally across the square on the 'other' diagonal and then on the
pencil line.
Ta-dah! Just look at that. You can then stitch them together and make a
neat looking little block, or piece of a block.
I've always avoided the notion of drawing diagonals and then stitching
on both sides but it does give some remarkable results with just no effort
at all. I was looking around at Marcia Hohn's quilters cache and saw this
on her Scrapbagger block. It sort of inspires me to, once again, use up the
black hole fondly known as the scrap bin. Maybe not. If you've never tried
this, give it a go. I thought it was fun. Of course, it's easy to
entertain us old biddies. Polly

I just love Marcia's site and her instructions! I never believed how
well those 'draw, stitch, & snip' blocks would come out until I did them
- and the added advantage is that because you are playing with larger
bits of fabric that are NOT already cut on the bias, it doesn't stretch
and distort as much as pre-cur half square triangle bits!

I just use an ordinary pencil to draw with as well: marks all but the
darkest fabric nicely, and disappears when you cut along the line!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old January 12th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That sounds like something I've done before.. I want to try it again just to
be sure but I'm chained to my computer until I finish my current project and
then I'll be free to play.
BTW my thumb is almost healed and I hope to be able to hand stitch again
very soon! I didn't realize how much callous I had built up on my thumb and
forefinger (pointer). My thumb shows the layers of skin and callous similar
to a tree trunk's rings! Back to work - hope to play soon.

--
Bonnie
NJ
ink.net...

Old January 12th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well, Polly, since I tried half-square-triangle squares as recently as
this week - for the first time!!!! - I might well take you up on the
challenge of cutting long both diagonals.
We could both end up being in the quilting mainstream. Is that a scary
thought, or can you cope? It feels risky to me g
..
In message . net, Polly
Esther writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 12th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

But Polly -how did you make HSTs before you discovered this?

And as for your own black hole, here's what I do when faced with lots of
scrap triangles: find a biggish scrap of more or less neutral contrasting
fabric, lay all the triangles out RST so they form neat (ish) rows of
squares with the cut triangle edges in a zigzag, sew down the zig and back
up the zag. Then press the whole shebang, cut all the HSTs apart, and press
open. Use the Bias Square ruler to cut them all down to a suitable size. I
tend to have little sets of triangles from trimming binding strips and such,
so can usually turn out a little Variable Star or 2 from these.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

ink.net...

Old January 12th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

I've read about this method, but to be totally honest, I've never made a
triangle in my life; only squares and rectangles. Maybe I'll just have
to go find a scrap or two and try it. They certainly add interest to a
quilt, I've just been too chicken to try them. My husband just laughs
at me (only because he thinks I can walk on water and "knows" I can do
it). Think that will be my goal for today; like Nike says, I'll "just
do it".

Ooer! The FIRST quilt I made had triangles all over the place! I've
never looked back...

But the project I'd just done immediately before that was bias cut
slippery bridal satin!

Old January 12th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

There is not much that is more cantankerous that bias satin so I'd guess any
challenge in cotton would be easy. Ah but . . . bias satin has such a
glorious drape to it, assuming of course that you're dealing with a body
that's not trying to hide any secrets. Polly

"Kate Dicey" wrote the project I'd just done immediately before that was
bias cut
slippery bridal satin!

Old January 12th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Too risky for us, Pat. Let's just do this one little step at the time.
Polly

"Patti" wrote Well, Polly, since I tried half-square-triangle squares as

Old January 12th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Aha. Y'all see there? Phyllis is willing to try something new to her.
Before the day is out, she may be walking on water. Polly

"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote I've read about this method, but to be totally
honest, I've never made a
triangle in my life; only squares and rectangles. Maybe I'll just have to
go find a scrap or two and try it. They certainly add interest to a
quilt, I've just been too chicken to try them. My husband just laughs at
me (only because he thinks I can walk on water and "knows" I can do it).
Think that will be my goal for today; like Nike says, I'll "just do it".

OT :Something to play with. Similar to the falling woman nana2b Quilting 1 October 13th 05 02:06 AM
Doctor, will I be able to play the violin? Wooly Yarn 8 October 11th 05 10:04 PM
Can I Play? Wabbit4412 Quilting 106 September 17th 04 04:49 PM
The Quilters play Susan Laity Price Quilting 3 March 24th 04 09:31 AM
When the cats away, the mice will play! Susanne Quilting 0 October 19th 03 06:22 PM