Advice on sewing machine-CP

Old December 18th 04, 02:07 PM
PFJ

Default Advice on sewing machine-CP

Hello All,

I've been lurking around here and have appreciated the camaderie and
helpfulness of this place. It also doesn't hurt to be in a place where
people describe fabric as delicious - I don't feel quite so mad.

Now, if you all don't mind, I need your collective help on a good
sewing/quilting machine. I've gone through FOUR sewing machines in the
last six months. All of them Singer. I've had to return them for various
reasons, but it's given me the opportunity to decide what works for me
and what doesn't. Now I want to buy a forever friend, or as close to
that as possible. I have one very large (King size) quilting project I'd
like to complete early next year as a new year gift. Piecing is mostly
done, which was a hard enough decision as it is. And I have all the
tools I need - except the machine. I won't tackle this by hand.

Here are the criteria:
* Very limited budget
* A machine that can withstand several (6?) hours of reasonably
continuous quilting use - somewhat heavy duty?
* A top drop in bobbin - tired of dealing with the other kinds
Really prefer a Singer - learned to sew on one, and used one throughout
my grewing up. Besides, I can only think of 'Brother' machines as
typewriters, since I learned to type on one, 'Simplicity' as a pattern
house, etc. I'm open to suggestions on this, of course, but I prefer Singer
* Fast - don't want to be chugging along so slowly I get bored. I'm very
big on basting for assembly and accuracy, so when I sit to sew, I like
to go at a good clip.

Any or all of my criteria might be mis-guided, in your opinion. Please
do say so. And I don't mind a used machine in good condition - but I'd
prefer to do that sort of thing one on one.

I've had first hand experience, read perhaps hundreds of reviews online,
and read the various 'How to buy a sewing machine' advice found here and
there. Now I need some first hand type advice from you guys.

Thanks very much. All input greatly appreciated.

PFJ
Old December 18th 04, 02:18 PM
PFJ

Oh, there's Factory-Reconditioned Singer 4830 32-Stitch-Function Sewing
Machine that I'm leaning towards. Any suggestions about this, in
addition to the below?

Thank you.

Pam

Old December 18th 04, 02:44 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Pam!
With a limited budget, you might be better off looking at a good
previously-owned machine. Find a good dealer in your area and explain your
preferences and how much you can afford.

An OLD Singer might be just the right thing for you, except for the drop-in
bobbin. Something built before the company sold out, which was around 1964.
These machines are pre-computer of course, but built to last several
lifetimes. You can still get parts for most of them.

Avoid any new cheap machine -it won't have the motor power you need. And you
want something heavy enough to stay put while you ram your giant quilt
through it!

I have a Pfaff 2042, very happy with it. But it wasn't cheap.
Roberta in D

Old December 18th 04, 03:05 PM
PFJ

Hi Roberta,

Thank you, and thanks very much for the suggestion. I'm sure you're
right. This is the thing that's got me stumped. I can't find a dealer in
my area - this is probably my fault.

I'm in Cincinnati, OH, and I found only one sewing machine dealership. I
thought the clerk was uninformed. Although I believe I asked relevant
questions, I kept getting vague, non-specific answers, mostly to do with
features and functions I have no interest in. I guess that's not a
'good' dealer!

I would be interested in a good previously owned machine, sturdy and
functional. Any sources come to mind? I don't know if I'm not looking in
the right place, but Ebay is the only place I've found that seems to
have a range of old Singer machines and they are often much more
expensive than others with warranty, etc. Hmmmm

Pam

Old December 18th 04, 03:07 PM
PFJ

Hi Patty!

Thanks for the welcome!

Pam

Patty in NWO wrote:
Hi Pam: Welcome to the group, sorry I don't know much about machines so my
input would be worth a hill of beans, but I just wanted to say Hi and
Welcome to you.

Patty in NWO

Old December 18th 04, 03:26 PM
ALZ

I would stay away from Singer unless it is an old mechanical machine
in good condition. I would advise you to look into a used older
mechanical machine of good quality -- Bernina, Viking, Pfaff.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old December 18th 04, 03:43 PM
Marlys in Indiana

All I can say is that I've had a Viking, Singer and EuroPro and
I now have a Janome 4800 QC and it is fabulous, but it is one
of the more expensive ones - not top end, by any means, but
about mid-way. It is the greatest machine I have ever sewn on,
bar none. Just MHO.
Marlys in Indiana

Old December 18th 04, 03:46 PM
Patti

Hullo PFJ
I have bought two sewing machines in the past year, so I'm fairly up to
date with my research!
I have to say straight away that I only bought the second one as a
back-up, and something on which to do very rare mending of trouser legs
and sleeves, and the odd bit of dressmaking which requires a free-arm
(to make it easier g not vital!). So the second was really
inexpensive, same make ...
Fine for the purpose, but that purpose was not quilting.

The large one I bought specifically to do large quilting projects (it
does small just beautifully!!!). It has a large harp (9" x 5" approx.)
and has a lot of helpful stuff. It is just lovely to quilt with. The
harp is about the same size as the Brother 1500 and the Juki (which are
both semi-industrial I think is the term). My Janome 6500 has been
built for fast stitching and as it has a metal body will do many hours -
not that I could ever try that out!
The only thing is that it costs about as much as the B/ and Juki (which
only do straight stitches) and probably couldn't be said to fit within a
"very limited budget". I don't know of any other machines which have
the large space which helps with a king size.

Honestly, if your budget really is tight, you would probably be much
better off looking for one that is used - possibly a trade in on a
'newer and better' - some people only keep them a year; sometimes not
even out of the box!

If you get recommendations here, which are too expensive, try finding a
used machine of the same model?
..
In article , PFJ
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 18th 04, 04:03 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Pam, go to Featherweight Fanatics, at

FWF has a website, with links to many older sewing machines (not just
Singers) and several really reputable dealers. I'm planning to get a 301
for myself with my tax refund next year, and I am getting it for machine
quilting. Though I know there are others that might be as good or even
better, I love my Featherweight and want another old Singer. Budget is a
factor with me, too, and one of the dealers who posts on FWF can sell me a
reconditioned 301 in case, and with attachments including a walking foot,
for under $300.00. Like this group, you can feel free to ask questions.
When I posted my questions regarding the 301, I not only got a couple of
emails from OSMGs who had them to sell, but also got emails from several
members with recommendations on which dealers give a fair deal, good
shipping, and money-back guarantees.

I can also tell you that I have an older Kenmore (circa 1975) that has been
a real work horse for me. I have not done a king-size quilt on it, in fact
I don't think I could--but it's machine-quilted a dozen twin and full size
quilts, and I can't count the little baby and lap quilts it has
machine-quilted over the past 8 years. That's another good option, as I
think a used Kenmore of that era would be very cheap.

Whatever SM you get, keep us in mind and let us know how it works out. Best
of luck to you!!!
--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

news