Grrrrrrrr ....Wonky fabric prints

Old August 13th 03, 06:35 AM
Shelly

Default Grrrrrrrr ....Wonky fabric prints

I am so aggravated that I don't know what to do. I started working on the
California King quilt for a friend. I promised him this quilt over a year
ago and have been procrastinating as usual. I purchased the fabric back in
Nov. or Jan., I can't remember exactly when. I cut the fabric (panels) and
was just going to make one seam down the middle to put the top together and
did that without a hitch. No problems at all until I sewed the two pcs. back
together. That was when I noticed that the panels were wonky. I was very
careful to cut it straight and checked many times to be sure that I was
straight before I cut. I did notice that there was going to be a slight
problem with where the fabric had been cut off the bolt previously that I
didn't notice when I made the purchase. I usually have any where from 6-7
bolts that need cutting when on a S.E.X. trip, so I was probably not with
the person cutting the fabric at the precise moment she was cutting for me.
(I do try to watch them cut.)
The problem is, the panels are off by several inches and it isn't of my
doing! The ends of the fabric meet perfectly and have been sewn together.
What can I do to fix this? The only thing I can think of is frogging this
beast and cutting the remainder of the fabric off with only enough left on
both ends to sew on a border and see if I can get the panels to match up
that way. Had I not already cut the fabric, I would have taken it back for a
refund. I did notice before I cut it though, that the panel on the left was
tilted. I didn't think that it would be that noticeable after the top was
put together. Boy was I WRONG this time. lol Any and all suggestions would
be appreciated here! Thanks in advance!
Shelly

---

Old August 14th 03, 01:42 AM
dogmom

I can't quite visualize what you're describing, but I know the feeling of
dealing with wonky fabric, esp. after you've had it too long or done too
much to it to return it! So I sympathize. As for the border--FWIW, I've
become a fan of pieced borders lately--they really spice up a quilt. So
maybe some sort of border would not only solve the problem, but make the
result even better than you'd planned!

Dogmom, always tryin' to see how to turn chicken s*** into chicken salad...

Old August 14th 03, 02:44 AM
Shelly

The fabric that I purchased was panels of wolves and bears from Wal-Mart.
The pictured panels were not printed on the fabric straight. I did more
cutting on the fabric today and finally put the top together. It is much
improved compared to last night. lol Thanks for your suggestion. I managed
to calm down and straighten it out with much more cutting than I'd
originally planned for.
Shelly

Old August 14th 03, 10:07 PM
MOIRA RIDDELL

Why don't you add borders to the panels and after each round, cut each side
at an angle, if need be add more borders and keep going until you have
twisted the block.......

Moira

FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM
Wonky Fabric Rant Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 15 August 8th 03 12:50 PM