County Fair results

Old June 29th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

Default County Fair results

Liz from Humbug wrote:
On Jun 28, 9:03 am, "Joan E." wrote:

Well, the start of the Fair season is upon us. Seems like my county
is always the first one to have a fair! I entered 4 stitched pieces.
The results are as follows:

SAL counted canvas work (pink/blue/yellow version) : 1st
Knitted baby blanket: 1st
Knitted baby booties: 1st
Knitted baby hat: 1st *and* Reserve champion for the class!

Pics are in both my webshots stitchery album (search ndjoan, p. 7) and
rctnp.

I also entered some flowers, pinks, and got a 2nd place for those.

Happy dancing all the way around!

Joan

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Our County Fair isn't until July 20 to the
25th. I don't have anything to enter this year but people from our
EGA chapter will be there (in the air conditioned building)
demonstrating stitching and just "stitching in public". :-) In
between stitching, we take turns moseying around the fairgrounds and
looking at all the exhibits. I love the fact that our county is still
rural enough to have a HUGE beef auction every year and also lots of
goats, pigs, horses and horticultural displays. 4H is very popular
around here and the local stores try hard to support the kids by
buying animals at auction and then advertise that that is what they
are selling in their stores. It makes "buying local" a lot more fun
when you know or at least recognize the areas where the meat was
actually raised. :-) There is also a "technology building" but it
takes up much less space than the livestock and horticultural
exhibits. :-)
Liz from Humbug

I remember county fairs like that when we lived in Ohio. Used to take
the kids every year, and if they were feeling generous (or sufficiently
bribed) they would let me look at the Home Ec stuff AFTER they had
inspected every one of the animals and had lunch themselves. Here in
Louisiana, the closest fair is a half-day drive away! As it also occurs
during the hottest part of the summer, dh and I don't bother going.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old June 29th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 6/29/2010 11:31 AM, Joan E. wrote:
Besides, it *is* summer (if the dang rain
would just stop!).

Please send some rain my way! We haven't had anything much in nearly two
weeks of 90-plus degree weather, and nothing much predicted for another
week. Some weeds continue to grow up and crowd out the other weeds, and
the ground is too dry to think about yanking anything out. The back yard
has some cracks in the dirt, it's so parched. (And of course, the hose
nozzle and the sprinkler we bought last year are dead. DH bought a new
hose nozzle yesterday and tried to use it, but found it was missing a
washer and wouldn't work. So he's off to the hardware store for a washer.)

Even some of the daylilies have just dried up in bud stage - never
bloomed. (If you can find them under the bindweed. Why do bindweed and
Virginia creeper continue to thrive in extremis?)

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old June 29th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Jun 29, 11:22*am, "Joan E." wrote:
On Jun 28, 1:41*pm, Nancy wrote:

*No fair here and if there were I'm not sure I'd ever enter anything.

Why not? *It's fun to see the competition (or lack thereof!). *You
might surprise yourself. *I say go for it! *If there's no county fair,
is there a state fair?

Joan

The state "fair" is in January. I've seen the spinning and
weaving contests on the "state cable channel" but don't
what else they have. Besides the trip to Harrisburg in Jan
and be dicy....the Turnpike is no fun in the snow.
You have to remember I live in Pittsburgh. The "county
fair" got supplanted a couple years ago with a "urban fair"
and lately it's been "downsized" because of a lack of $$.
I don't think there are many farms left in Allegheny
County.

Nancy
Old June 29th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Jun 29, 12:46*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 6/29/2010 11:31 AM, Joan E. wrote:
* Besides, it *is* summer (if the dang rain

would just stop!).

Please send some rain my way! We haven't had anything much in nearly two
weeks of 90-plus degree weather, and nothing much predicted for another
week. Some weeds continue to grow up and crowd out the other weeds, and
the ground is too dry to think about yanking anything out. The back yard
has some cracks in the dirt, it's so parched. (And of course, the hose
nozzle and the sprinkler we bought last year are dead. DH bought a new
hose nozzle yesterday and tried to use it, but found it was missing a
washer and wouldn't work. So he's off to the hardware store for a washer.)

I'd love to send you some of ours, just not too much. I
haven't had to water all the flowers I planted since I watered
them when I first planted them. We were supposed to get
showers yesterday but they were "brief" showers, enough
to water and still be too wet this am to clean out the ivy
and trim it where it's gotten too long.

Even some of the daylilies have just dried up in bud stage - never
bloomed. (If you can find them under the bindweed. Why do bindweed and
Virginia creeper continue to thrive in extremis?)

So sorry about your daylilies. Ours are going gangbusters.
I'm going to have to divide them when it comes time.
Say, Cheryl....when's the best time to do that?

In fact almost everything has done well this year. I'd say
it was all the snow that melted slowly but if you are having
problems with all the snow you got, that can't be the whole
story.

Nancy
Old June 29th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Joan E. wrote:
On Jun 28, 1:41 pm, Nancy wrote:

No fair here and if there were I'm not sure I'd ever enter anything.

Why not? It's fun to see the competition (or lack thereof!). You
might surprise yourself. I say go for it! If there's no county fair,
is there a state fair?

Joan

Joan -- catching up here with congrats to you for your great work and
wonderful wins :-). On another topic -- our camera has gone T-U so it
will be awhile before I get photos of that other project to show you.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old June 30th 10, 11:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/29/10 1:05 PM, in article
, "Nancy"
wrote:

[...]

As long as you're not expecting frozen ground, you can divide them, to wit,
I'm hauling stuff out of the ground now and dividing or giving the whole
clump away.

Old June 30th 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/29/10 12:46 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

[...]

That is amazing to me Sue - but my first advice is to get your soil checked
by the local ag extension.

Talk to me off line - I'm sure, as much as we love OT, no one really wants
to hear my soil health speech.

Cheryl

Old June 30th 10, 12:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 6/30/10 6:27 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 6/29/10 12:46 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

[...]

Sue, little chiming in. Despite my horrible gardening habits (really) - the
daylilies here are blooming away. I planted these late last fall - and have
been surprised - but they're all blooming. The last of them just opened -
Cheryl had sent me a mix of varieties. The big ones started blooming a
couple of weeks ago, the shorter ones have been slowly following. What is
happening is that some of the blooms on the yellow-purple tall guy don't
hold for very long. They seem to be withering quickly. Anyhow - I've been
giving them a misting - so maybe that's helping.

Ellice

Old June 30th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Jun 30, 6:26*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 6/29/10 1:05 PM, in article
, "Nancy"

wrote:
On Jun 29, 12:46*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:

Even some of the daylilies have just dried up in bud stage - never
bloomed. (If you can find them under the bindweed. Why do bindweed and
Virginia creeper continue to thrive in extremis?)

So sorry about your daylilies. *Ours are going gangbusters.
I'm going to have to divide them when it comes time.
Say, Cheryl....when's the best time to do that?

As long as you're not expecting frozen ground, you can divide them, to wit,
I'm hauling stuff out of the ground now and dividing or giving the whole
clump away.

Now just to find a place to put them after they are divided.

Nancy

County Fair results Fran Needlework 4 October 26th 09 05:13 PM
County fair results Joan E. Needlework 25 July 2nd 09 03:08 AM
County fair - results Wooly Yarn 5 August 29th 06 01:33 AM
County Fair results Joan E. Needlework 13 July 26th 06 04:56 PM
My county fair results Donna D. Needlework 1 August 21st 03 12:41 PM