Are they glass or ?

Old October 3rd 03, 03:51 PM
PaulaGarlic

Default Are they glass or ?

Hello all! Is there any easy way to tell glass from amethyst? I am tidying
up an old rosary (a very lovely vintage one that the owner of a little
rosary shop had tossed into the freebie bin because it was rather tarnished
and tangled...turns out it's a very fine one in great shape).

The beads are faceted and about 5mm or so. I'm too tired and lazy to
measure at the moment. But I can't tell if they are amethyst or glass.
They are such a lovely shade...a very soft, rich shade.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Paula

Old October 3rd 03, 06:28 PM
Diana Curtis

take them to a jewler and ask to use their loupe? Ask them to tell you?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
ink.net...

Old October 3rd 03, 07:49 PM
Christina Peterson

We had a discussion about etching stones here recently. If I recall
correctly, the etching medium damages the crystaline structure of quartz
(which amythest is a form of).

Tina

Old October 4th 03, 02:31 AM
Marisa Cappetta

I'd get out my loupe and have a look for inclusions in the stones, that's a
pretty good give away. All except the most perfect of stones have tiny
defects, colour variations and bits and pieces in them. Also compare each
stone, is the cut slightly irregular from stone to stone? That could mean
they are hand cut, although if done my a master cutter, they could be very
consistant so that's not always a guide.

--
Marisa (AU)
ESBC

Old October 4th 03, 03:00 AM
Steve Richardson

The great state of Missouri actually has some useful information about this
on one of their Web sites: "You can use a simple field test to separate
real amethyst quartz from glass fakes. Lightly rest the unidentified item on
your cheek: quartz has high thermal conductivity and will feel cool to the
touch; glass, on the other hand, should feel warm." I would add that "warm"
is a relative term. Either amethyst or glass would feel much, much cooler
than plastic, for example.
- Steve R
St Louis

Old October 5th 03, 03:23 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

Most glass beads seem to have a very consistent color throughout, whereas
amethyst will have variations in tone. Also the color of amethyst seems
"softer", a little more translucent, than glass. Of course, you'd pretty
much need a sample of both to understand what I mean!
--
Karleen Page/Vibrant Jewels
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm