elasitc (spandex) in socks too tight

Old August 3rd 03, 08:54 PM
mike

Default elasitc (spandex) in socks too tight

Many of the men's socks I buy have such tight elastic that it causes
serious damage to my legs. I presume these are no longer made with
old fashioned elastic but with spandex as all the new things are. Does
anyone know a way to permanently stretch the ribbed part with the
spandex so that it will fit looser and not leave permanent
indentations on my legs which drive me crazy with itching once the
blood starts flowing back into the indentations when I take off the
socks? The only alternative I have is to throw away all the socks that
have the too tight ribbing and buy the $4 to $5 a pair kind which are
made better.
If you can help me please post to the group but let me know also so I
ermember to check the postings.

Mike
Old August 3rd 03, 11:24 PM
Trish Brown

mike wrote:

Many of the men's socks I buy have such tight elastic that it causes
serious damage to my legs. I presume these are no longer made with
old fashioned elastic but with spandex as all the new things are. Does
anyone know a way to permanently stretch the ribbed part with the
spandex so that it will fit looser and not leave permanent
indentations on my legs which drive me crazy with itching once the
blood starts flowing back into the indentations when I take off the
socks? The only alternative I have is to throw away all the socks that
have the too tight ribbing and buy the $4 to $5 a pair kind which are
made better.
If you can help me please post to the group but let me know also so I
ermember to check the postings.

Mike

Hnyahah! One of my own pet peeves and not only confined to men's socks.

Measures I have taken include:

sitting patiently and cutting the knitted fibres of the sock and then
lugubriously (dontcha love that word?) pulling them out (this takes *ages* and
ought to be done while doing something tedious, like hearing a kid recite its
times tables or waiting for paint to dry). This is the best method *if* the top
band is composed of rows and rows of knitted-in elastic.

cutting off the top band of the sock altogether and simply overlocking (serging)
around it, hoping the knit will be preserved and not run in great, loose ladders
down into the foot (ie of the sock)

cutting off the top band and patiently stitching a narrow hem around the top of
the sock

One I haven't yet tried is stitching a very closely spaced line around the top
of the sock, just beneath the offending tight top, and *then* removing it (ie
the top) and treating it as above...

Or... maybe it'd be possible to make a sort of a bias strip from pantyhose and
bind the top edge of the sock with that? Dunno...? Must give it a shot...!

Of course, we ought all to be writing to sock manufacturers and earnestly
letting them know that socks ought *not* to restrict circulation in people's
feet! Don't they realise how prevalent diabetes is today? I suffer from two
problems in this area: sporadic cellulitis (which is quite painful and defies
*any* restriction around my ankles) and pressure urticaria (which is even more
annoying and causes the itching you describe).

Sock wears of the world, unite! Let's make this world a better place for shoes,
socks and *FEET*!!!!

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}