About Aida thing and yarn

Old March 23rd 04, 08:49 AM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Default About Aida thing and yarn

Hi ladies and gents!

Have not been here for a while. Must ask anyway...you may know. I
have...this cushion thing to stitch. It is Aida, and pre-printed. What's the
worry then, you ask. Well, I let you know. I do not know...the gauge, as
we'd say it in RCTY. And that brings me another worry. What yarn to use? I
do not know much of the weight issue...or stitch issue. Still the only
stitch I can is the ½ xs, so I afraid I am forced to use it. But what about
the yarn? I just wonder...How can you tell what kind of yarn certain aida
fabric needs? I can see through the holes.
Best: Pirjo

Old March 23rd 04, 08:50 PM
Rhiannon

Hi, Pirjo. Haven't seen anything from you in a while. Glad to hear
from you and know you are well.

If you have some spare pieces of yarn or floss sitting around, make a
block of a few stitches on the outer edge of the cushion. Try combining
different numbers of strands when applicable. Use whatever product
gives you the coverage that looks best to you.

If you want to know the gauge so you can estimate how much fiber will be
needed for coverage, just use an ordinary ruler. Pull the fabric flat
(but not drum tight), and lay the ruler on the fabric. Count how many
stitches you would make (over one Aida thread block) in one inch (or 2.5
centimeters). Double check it by repeating the process in another area
of the fabric. HTH!

--
Brenda
"Sometimes I'd sit and gaze for days through sleepless dreams all alone

Old March 24th 04, 12:20 AM
Pat P

Whilst talking about Aida - wouldn`t it be great if they could produce it
ready gridded. I wouldn`t mind paying a bit extra for that!

Pat P.

Old March 24th 04, 08:18 AM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Thanks, Rhiannon! You are great woman. Must try that. Honestly, I usually
know that it is thicker yarn for..bigger holes, and thinner for smaller
ones.
B est: Pirjo
"Rhiannon" kirjoitti viestissä

Old March 24th 04, 08:19 AM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Ready gridded???? *puzzled* Those new English expressions...when do I learn
this language? I think never. But I can np, and that is what I love. Wish
I'd travel in the near future, so stitching could go on.
Best: Pirjo

Old March 24th 04, 11:16 AM
Pat P

Gridding, in this case, means doing intersecting lines of straight
stitching every ten stitches (to coincide with the usual ten stitch grids on
cross stitch charts) before you start the PROPER stitching, so that you have
a "grid" to use as a guideline to make sure that your stitching is
accurately placed.

The gridding stitches should be pulled out as you come to them.

It`s a nuisance to do, but well worth the effort. I find that it really
speeds up the real stitching, and you make far less mistakes. Mistakes are
even more of a nuisance!

Most cross stitch charts (not all) use a grid of 10 stitches, so if only
Aida came ready gridded it would be a Godsend, and well worth a little extra
money!

Pat P

Old March 24th 04, 11:25 AM
Mlle Ilvesvuori

Hi again!
I think I got the point. So they are a kind of "marking yarns", as they are
called in here, or something like that. I have seen that kind of canvas in
the picture in one book.
Best: Pirjo
"Pat P" kirjoitti viestissä
news5e8c.209$%Z.200@newsfe1-win...

Old March 24th 04, 11:42 AM
F.James Cripwell

"Pat P" ) writes:
Whilst talking about Aida - wouldn`t it be great if they could produce it
ready gridded. I wouldn`t mind paying a bit extra for that!

Pat P.

Some years ago, MLI tried to get some evenweave made ready gridded.
For some reason, she did not succeed. I dont know whether a Google search
could retrieve any of the messages. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old March 24th 04, 01:55 PM
Pat P

Evenweave would be even better!! I wonder if we ALL nagged Zweigart and the
evenweave companies to do it, they might consider it eventually. Why don`t
we all have a go! Surely there are enough of us to have quite a loud voice
in the marketplace.

As a non-sequitur, I just bought a "Clover" cutter - and even found some
Douglas tartan ribbon so I can hang it round my neck - after all it looks
much better than my usual pair of scissors, particularly as I normally
forget to take them off when I go out! Great little gadget.

Pat P

Pat P

Old March 24th 04, 10:57 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Probably they do not because:

Some find it soothing to baste grin It's an excuse not to stitch when
you just know you should be stitching but don't feel like getting in too
deep.

Gridding would require oversewing. You wouldn't want to buy a navy
fabric with a white line woven in every 10 stitches. So, it would have
to be sewn on a machine. Labor intensive; quality control issues. I
mean, think about 32-ct. You going to trust some seamstress to make sure
it's perfect every 10 threads?

Unless my brain isn't going in the right direction and there's another way?
Dianne